July 18th, 2007

McCain, Edwards slip in New Hampshire

A new CNN/WMUR poll indicates McCain has slipped 8 points in New Hampshire.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Democratic and Republican presidential front-runners held their spots in a new CNN/WMUR poll of New Hampshire voters, but further back in the pack, the field has shifted on each side.

Among Democratic contenders, Sen. Hillary Clinton wields a solid lead over Sen. Barack Obama, with the former first lady claiming the support of 36 percent of Granite State voters. Obama trailed with 27 percent. (Full poll results [PDF])

But former Sen. John Edwards, the party's vice presidential nominee in 2004, slipped to a statistical tie with New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson in the latest poll, which was conducted between July 9 and Tuesday. Edwards had drawn 14 percent support in the previous poll, conducted in June, but came in at 9 percent in the new survey, while Richardson came in at 11 percent in both surveys. (See June's Democatic poll)

And on the Republican side, Sen. John McCain slipped 8 percentage points since June (See June's GOP poll) in the state where he upset now-President Bush during the 2000 presidential campaign. At 12 percent, McCain trails former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who leads the pack with 34 percent; former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, with 20 percent; and former Sen. Fred Thompson, who has not yet officially entered the race, with 13 percent. Thompson ran fourth in the June poll.

Romney gained five percentage points in the most recent poll; Giuliani dropped 2, and Thompson gained 1.

New Hampshire holds the nation's first presidential primary, scheduled for Jan. 22, 2008. The poll, conducted by the University of New Hampshire, had a sampling error of 5.5 percentage points.

Only 7 percent of the 307 Republican primary voters and 10 percent of Democrats said they had settled on a candidate. And 38 percent of the Republicans polled said they could never support the Arizona senator, compared to 30 percent for Thompson, 22 percent for Giuliani and 17 percent for Romney.

On the Democratic side, 16 percent of the 333 voters surveyed said they would not consider voting for Clinton under any circumstances; 15 percent said the same about Obama, and 24 percent viewed Edwards as unacceptable.

Eight Democrats and 10 Republicans are currently in the wide-open race for the White House.

Among the second-tier Democratic candidates, Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware drew 4 percent support; Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, 3 percent; and the remaining two, Connecticut Sen. Christopher Dodd and former Sen. Mike Gravel of Alaska drew less than 1 percent.

Among second-tier Republicans, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Rep. Ron Paul of Texas were tied at 2 percent; Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado and former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson each had 1 percent; and Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas and Rep. Duncan Hunter of California had less than 1 percent support.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Dan Fairfax, VA

mcain needs to mcScream and get it over with. check it out at http://www.redstateleader.com

July 17, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Romney is running a smart campaign, it helps to win the first couple of states to get the big mo' going.

July 17, 2007 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. Andrew, WA

I wonder how much these polls are skewed because many younger people aren't being polled on account of being reachable only by cellphone. Also, don't forget that in the last presidential primary campaign John Kerry was in 3d place for a long time but ended up winning the nomination. I think it's too early to count McCain or Edwards out. Also, because a lot of voters are still not very familiar with Obama, I think it is quite possible that he will overtake Hillary in the polls. The race is still very much up in the air for both parties.

July 17, 2007 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  4. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Shouldn't the headline read ROMNEY and HILLARY way ahead? In this article they downplay Romney's lead to the point of being absolutely conspicuous. Romney will win this thing, because he is winner in everything he touches. Why not our nation?

July 17, 2007 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. Cain, New Haven, CT

24 percent don't want John Edwards? uh oh.

July 17, 2007 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. Glenn,B'ham,Al

Obama & Romney are both in this race. Hillary & Rudy are just old news.
    More of the same in my book.

July 17, 2007 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  7. Travis

Yes we all know McCain is dead in the water. The real news here is that Romney increased his previous big lead by 5 points! That is huge!!! Those hiding from him in Iowa will get their whipping in New Hampshire.

July 17, 2007 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. enock kebati, Rosemount minnesota

When Democtats area asked who has the better chances of beating a Republican,they all agree that its Hillary. My take is that Hillary will win the nomination and the presidency.

July 17, 2007 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Mike, HI

It's more than six damn months away. Predicting who would win is just foolish.

July 17, 2007 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  10. Eric, SLC Utah

I'd still take McCain in the general election. At least he's honest about taking unpopular views. The rest are more like public opinion followers. The others stay slick at our expense. Listen to more than soundbites please!

July 17, 2007 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  11. John, Paw Paw, MI

I supported McCain in 2000 but not after his amnesty bill and being a "yes" man for Bush on that and other mistakes. As for Romney, I don't care that he is a moron because a person's religion is a private matter but I am afraid I couldn't vote for him either.

July 17, 2007 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  12. Julius Beasley, Greenville NC

still plenty of time for you-know-who to make a bigger showing in the polls with old people who still use land lines..

July 17, 2007 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  13. Paul, New Orleans, LA

ITS RON PAUL time!!

July 17, 2007 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  14. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Americans are smarter than E.E, she hurts her husband instead of help. Hillary is the stongest and smartest person in our Country, she will win Primary and General Election because she deserved and Hillary will get it. I can't wait to see The Clintons Inauguration Day at White House, it will be the greatest Chapter in American History. Husband and wife, both are top lawyers from Yale, President of United States of America, resident twice at White House, first lady President and first Gentleman in our history.
    MAGNIFICENT COUPLE, THE CLINTONS.

July 17, 2007 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  15. Lou, Mississippi

This is truly the Clinton News Network! I know this for sure now. Senator Obama has 27 percent, he gained in this poll. Clinton had not gained at all. Why is this not the headline?

You people really should be ashamed of yourself. God is watching you and He is taking notes. Trying to sway the public to Hillary Clinton's side is wrong. Why are you doing this?

July 17, 2007 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  16. Richard

McCain was out the minute he laid his laid on the Kennedy Amnesty chopping block. I just hope all the senators that followed Kennedy on the Amnesty train derail also in the next election. It's time Americans reclaim America. These words are from a onetime McCain supporter. Never Again. Fool me one Shame one you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

July 17, 2007 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  17. John, Los Angeles CA

Hey Lou in Mississippi, you're nuts! Paranoid of everything around you? Got news, Obama won't win, doesn't have the experience and is not credible. All the Oprah appearances won't help. He'll melt like the ice caps when Americans start really analyzing who can lead this country. We don't want a rookie, we want somebody that knows the system well. Obama just ain't gonna cut. Take your meds and go to sleep, sir.

July 17, 2007 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  18. Glenda, McEwen, TN

Go Hillary!!!!!!!

July 18, 2007 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  19. cliff jones, honolulu, hi

I wonder why the cnn is do down on John Edwards? Can you imagine if it were Edwards running up the phoney donor hype that Obama is doing? It would be on every news channel and every front page headline in the papers for weeks. It would be the talk of the town. What do we hear about Obama. Nil. Go figure.

July 18, 2007 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  20. unknown homeless usa

At 4am this morning Sen McCain is going on about how if we pull out of Iraq the problems that Isreal will face Is this an American issue? Aren't we suppose to be reacting to the attack on 9/11? Maybe I only went through the 6th grade but I don't think the public at large is dumb, and why doesn't he say theses things at 12noon and not when most people are sleeping and will never hear all his remarks!!!!!!!!! My problem is I have to work at night to pay the bills..........

July 18, 2007 04:47 am at 4:47 am |
  21. Walter Stewart, Sunnyvale, CA

The real headline for this article reads: "ROMNEY IS SURGING FULL SPEED AHEAD!"

July 18, 2007 06:27 am at 6:27 am |
  22. Chris, Pensacola FL

I agree with you Lou. The news controls your opinions, they have for years. Most American sheep don't care as long as they have their Big Macs and Digital TVs. Once their pocketbooks hurt, they'll care then.

It's a shame that the real candiates are not getting air time. ALL current candidates have TOO MUCH baggage! They are all crooked in a form or another.

While I have a candidate I like that doesn't register in the polls, I won't mention that person because it's important that I say unbiased info.

If you Americans don't wake up, you'll feel the pain sooner than later. I'm not even sure we'll ever have another President after Bush has signed certain executive orders that I won't mention. We'll just have to wait and see. The evil players in the world like March and September. Perhaps in one of these months we'll witness our mistakes take an ugly form.

But if by chance we last and do have another election, please research the candiates. If you vote based on age, gender, race, party, you really are ignorant to the truth. I'd rather have an 18 year old high school grad as President rather than Obama, Clinton, McCain, Gullyana. I just ask that you look inside at your heart when you vote. Please prove me wrong TIVO users, make me proud to be an American.

July 18, 2007 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  23. M., West Chicago, Il

Wow! I think this article overlooks a really strong candidate in Ron Paul. Rudy really did nothing in New York, where his power was "absolute"! But I doubt he could have done the same if he was President.

I like Fred Thompson, but he can not seem to make up his mind, so I have moved on!

McCain, seems to be stuck and can't figure out what to say half the time.

Rommey, can seem to tell me how he is any different that everyone else! I really am not clear on what he is going to do to solve the problems this nation is facing!

July 18, 2007 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  24. bret, atl, ga

When only 7% of people say they are definitely going to vote for a candidate, you have to wonder that the 3% who picked Paul must be a large chunk of that 7%. Indeed, the large portion of undecideds at this point points to one thing, in my mind, a victory for Liberty.

July 18, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  25. L.Ryan, Phila., Pa.

As a registered independent Ron Paul is the only Republican I'd consider. McCain is yesterday's news and a Bush kiss-up...wouldn't even consider him. I don't understand people who think he'd be a good president because he was a POW(I respect that). I think just the opposite. I know behind his soft spoken voice is a very tempermental man....unstable to lead.

July 18, 2007 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |