July 22nd, 2007

GOP candidate: Romney is "copying me"

Thompson campaigned in Iowa on Saturday

HUMBOLDT, Iowa (CNN) - At a stop on his bus trip through Iowa Saturday, GOP presidential candidate Tommy Thompson fired away at Republican opponent Mitt Romney, who also recently began his own bus tour of the Hawkeye State, saying that Romney is mimicking his plans.

"I'm the one that started the bus tour, and Romney is copying me," Thompson said forcefully. "And what's the best sense of flattery? It's when they copy you... He's following me around the state because I think he's seeing the polls and seeing we're starting to grow, and that's going to be threatening to him."

Thompson is currently on his tour of the 99 counties of Iowa in an “Iowa-made” Winnebago. His comments came shortly after both GOP candidates were in the rural town of Algona, Iowa.

When asked if he was bothered by the fact that Romney may be pulling potential attendees away from Thompson's events, Thompson said 'absolutely not.'

"We've been on this tour now for two weeks and he is just starting yesterday," said Thompson. "He's going to the same place I am, hopefully to show that he's got support better than mine, but I think overall [my campaign is] doing very, very well."

Romney’s Iowa spokesperson Tim Albrecht declined to comment.

– CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Iowa • Mitt Romney • Race to '08 • Tommy Thompson
  1. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Yes, Thompson is such an original, I'll bet Romney is vying to copy him. Except that Romney had his schedule posted on his website and general strategy for a long time now....

July 21, 2007 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  2. Scott - Indianapolis, Indiana

I agree, Thompson. You invented the bus tour! It was never done by any other candidate until you came along. Spare me your tripe, and spare yourself the flattery.

July 21, 2007 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  3. c

a sure sign of a loser. he sounds like an 8 year tatteling on his sister to his mommy or something.

July 21, 2007 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  4. brady, Burbank, ca

so what if he is "copying you" as you say. Get over it, the bus tour idea was not your invention.

July 21, 2007 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  5. IV

What a crybaby! Sure, Tommy, NO ONE has EVER taken a bus tour across the first caucus state in the nation, no sir!

Just drop out of the race so that the real Republican candidates can have more time to talk during the debates, Tommy. You're a waste of our time.

July 21, 2007 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  6. Kt, Marietta, GA

Tommy who?

July 21, 2007 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  7. lippy Alliance, Nebraska

Tommy crying to Mommy.......what an outstanding GOP standard bearer!

July 21, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  8. Chris, Miami FL

Sounds slightly familiar...

"I invented the internet." – Al Gore

Thompson is a dope. Romney is the only candidate that really trys to connect with the general public.

July 21, 2007 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  9. Linda, Albany, New York

Ah, the refreshing site of another political baby that never grew up, hurling a mud-slinging curve ball with the hopes of showing how much "better" they are over their opponent(s).

This bull makes a 5 year old appear mature. I wonder what would happen if we took their toys away.

July 21, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  10. Mark, Lavallette, NJ

Tommy Thompson should just do us all a favor and drop out of the race already. He is quite possibly the most pathetic candidate ever.

July 21, 2007 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  11. laura, beloit, wi

Thompson was an awful governor. Wisconsin has been struggling to recover from the giant deficit/debt he created (and used "voodoo accounting" to hide until after he left office).

And now Thompson invented the bus tour? (All the people who had such a good time picking on Gore about the Internet, should be just atwitter with excitement about their new opportunity for crude mockery.)

After this blubbering, why anyone would consider this guy for president is beyond me.

July 21, 2007 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  12. Paul Adams, Boston, MA

This is so ridiculous, I really can't stop laughing. Thompson for sure is a loser in denial!

July 21, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  13. ben, Ruston, La.

I wonder if he conferred with his campaign manager or anyone else prior to accusing the other candidate of copying him. Anyone that can afford it can take a bus tour across Iowa if they
    choose to. The people want to hear what your campaign is about not your childish complaints.

July 21, 2007 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  14. JM

He was terrible as Governor of WI, terrible as Secretary of Health and Human services, and in all situations Tommy always finds a way to point blame in a direction other than himself, typical politician. This whole early campaign push strategy is waste of peoples time and money, more debates, more real dialog not just all this posturing and pandering, ridiculous.

July 21, 2007 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  15. c

kind of remiinds of when al gore invented the internet. now all the sudden tommy has invented ot bus tour in an iowa presidential candidate race

even assumign which is an almost impossible stretch that he won iowa. what then. he can't win any other state. you have to have a little more staying power than one state.

too late for the second tier to breack through or at leasts it is getting close to too late. can't wait until ames so we can get rid of some of these candidates.

July 21, 2007 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  16. Andrew Shumway, North Logan Utah

Over the long run, those who avoid throwing mud and are even kind in their words are the real winners (even if they don't "win").

July 22, 2007 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  17. Gina Minneapolis, MN

Go tell your Mommy. She'll make it all better.

July 22, 2007 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  18. Sally in WI

Grow up, Tommy. You didn't invent the bus tour yourself.

July 22, 2007 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  19. Robert Barnes, Salt Lake City UT

I think he really needs to calm down. This next president very well might be the most important presidential campaign in history. There are some of the most pressing issues in history on the front line right now, including abortion, immigration, Iraq, etc. and this guy is getting all bent out of shape because another candidate is in the same state and they're both doing a bus tour. Are you kidding me? This is like the same argument I had with people when I was like 10. I can't believe this. These are the people we'll be leaving the fate of the country for the next 4 to 8 years. I'll be honest, it scares me.

July 22, 2007 04:24 am at 4:24 am |
  20. Prohibitoid

I've never heard of this guy. It's sad to hear a man talk trash about an opponent he could never hope to beat, talking up a plainly unoriginal stunt that seems outdated. Go home, "other Thompson."

July 22, 2007 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  21. Eugene, Orlando, FL

Another bad choice. Neither would help undo the damage that Chaney Inc. has done to this country and western civilization. They went in and got the polps out of Bush's butt, now suction the sawdust out of this crew's heads. Sure, blame the guys with a 1 vote margin in the Sneate for lack of progress. My dream campaign – Gravel against Ron Paul. And both ask Nader to be VP.

July 22, 2007 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  22. Anonymous

Thompson will be the next guy to drop out probably.

July 22, 2007 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  23. Geoff, Davenport, Iowa

As an Iowan, the most important trait we look for in a candidate is their ability to claim to be the "first" to use a campaign bus tour. Thank you, Tommy, for addressing this extremely critical issue.

July 22, 2007 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  24. John Klamath Falls, OR

This guy would be better at cleaning a stable

July 22, 2007 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  25. Jen Lepp, Cedar Park, TX

He's copying me? What is this, grade school?

July 22, 2007 10:21 am at 10:21 am |