July 22nd, 2007

Huckabee fires shot at frontrunners

Huckabee fired a shot at the GOP frontrunners

(CNN) - Taking on top GOP challengers, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said in Texas this weekend that "people aren't going to find me in a YouTube moment" showing changes in key positions.

The comment was an apparent shot at GOP candidate Mitt Romney, R-Mass., and possible entrant to the race Fred Thompson, R-Tenn. Both have been the subjects of clips posted on YouTube in recent weeks showing different stands on abortion they took in previous statewide races.

In Amarillo on Saturday night, the former Arkansas governor said one of the reasons he considers himself most qualified to be president is because he holds "convictions that are consistent."

"People aren't going to find me in a YouTube moment from 10 years ago saying something substantially different than I'm saying today," he said.

Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, delivered the sermon Sunday at an Amarillo church. He stayed away from politics in the address, focusing on the importance of humility and good deeds. But he told reporters that faith should be central to every politician's public and private life - and he said he cringes when he hears politicians say that faith doesn't affect the way they govern.

"Well, I make it very clear - it very much affects the way I govern," he said. "If a person says his or her faith is very separate and compartmentalized from all the decisions one makes, what it really says is their faith is insignificant and inconsequential."

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

1. Bruce, Franklin, TN

Well, the secularists will have a field day with this, but Huckabee is saying what a majority of Americans think. Thankfully, we are still one nation under God.

I really never considered Huckabee until I saw him in the debates, but he strikes me not only as consistent, but as a person of character and intelligence.

Good luck to him in climbing into the top tier, but I doubt the cash will be there for him to do it.

July 22, 2007 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  2. albert

I truly believe whatever Senator Hucakbee think about Faith it's right. Your faith does reflect in your personal as well as official life.

July 22, 2007 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  3. Charles, Tampa, FL

I had already made up my mind concerning Huckabee a long time ago, and this just confirms how I feel. I don't have the same beliefs as he does concerning God or what religion's place is in politics, and I don't want ANYONE basing their desires for the governing of ALL the people on their particular religion. You know...like the Taliban, Iran and Somalia?

July 22, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  4. Anthony, Murphysboro Il (SoIl)

A person that governs on his own accords, feelings and inconsequential opinions with no will to adapt cannot represent an entire nation of people with diverse views. This doesn't apply to Huckabee alone. His statements simply highlight the fact that absolutists, in any way (religion, foreign policy, etc.) are ill suited to serve the public; Huckabee should stick to serving the Southern Baptists. Sometimes the public do themselves a disservice by voting people into office that never represent them, but instead represent special interests in the form of small but visible lobbys, religious organizations and corporate donors.

July 22, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  5. radar pangaean, OH

Sorry, Bruce, but you must have the US confused with Iran. The 'majority' of Americans are not interested in living under a theocracy.

For every fundamentalist who is insired to vote for this man, there will be 2 or more people who, unlike you, will vote against him because they, also unlike you, are capable of reading and comprehending the relevant parts of the constitution.

July 22, 2007 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  6. Anthony, Murphy, Il

Another ill suited candidate. Absolutists, in any way (religious, foreign policy, etc.)make poor governors, because they cannot, or as is more likely,refuse, to reflect the views of the people they represent. This country is full of diverse people, and I'm not sure there are enough Southern Baptists to get him elected. If Huckabee's desire is to proselytise and define policy around his absolutist opinion, he should run for his local school board or for the head of the Southern Baptists convention.

July 22, 2007 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  7. lipper American

Why do I think Mr. Huckabees style of christianity is like that of Falwell and Bush? That is, they ignore the part about helping and sharing with the unfortunate and concentrate on the part that God blessed them because they are wealthy and powerful.

July 22, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  8. James Dies, IN

If you ask me, spending ten years in the political arena without a single change in viewpoint is more of a negative than a positive. It shows a severe close-minded philosophy that's unwilling to learn new ideas and allow any personal growth. We all know what happens when we elect someone who's the proverbial "stone against the tides", let's elect someone this time who'll learn from the world around them.

July 23, 2007 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  9. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Holding yourself up by trashing others? Impugning the motives of others? Is that your consistent, humble Christian values at work?

The other candidates are who they are. Whether of moral fiber or not? You can judge them by their histories.

July 23, 2007 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  10. Rick, Rochester, NY

For Bruce in Tennessee: if Huckabee believes that God determines his actions in politics, then most Americans must be listening to a different God. A majority of Americans believe in a woman's right to an abortion (only 22% of Americans were completely against abortion according to a 2003 CBS poll), a majority of Americans want a timetable for withdrawal for Iraq (61%, according to a recent CBS/NYT poll, unlike all but one of the GOP contenders), and a majority of Americans are against torture (63% according to an ABC/Washington Post poll, again unlike all but 2 of the GOPers). Huckabee can pay lip service to God and claim that his convictions are consistent, but the fact remains that on the important issues, the American people just aren't interested in what Huckabee's God has to offer. PS – I'm a Christian, but I have no desire to see a President who makes all of his decisions based on what his religion dictates. I'm sure if a Muslim, Jew or Hindu were elected President, the Christians would feel the same way.

July 23, 2007 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  11. David, Columbus Ohio

In a presidential campaign where so many candidates are having religious epiphanies (see CNN article -Democratic candidates trying to reach religious voters) it is refreshing to see a man whose faith is indeed an integral part of who he is.
    I am not overly optimistic about Gov. Huckabee's chances, but he has the first $20 I've ever given to a political campaign. I just wish there were a million folks who would do the same and give Gov. Huckabee a more prominent stage in the primaries.

July 23, 2007 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  12. Tom W - Dedham, Mass

Hey Rick from NY, since you seem to have such a grasp on polling,in that same polling did it ask about the people that think abortion is wrong with exceptions being rape, incest or if the mothers life was in danger?

What were those numbers as many more people than you state are against abortion with exceptions?

How was the question of torture asked, was it based on the biased way the MSM has portrayed Gitmo to be?

Did it ask "is beating the living hell out of these "freedom fighters" acceptable?

Barking dogs, loud music, fattening these bastards up, prayer time, clothes that were better than they have ever had doesn't sound like torture to me.

Anyone that did abuse them with "oh god" underwear on their heads were prosecuted.

Funny how liberals are all for what he majority thinks in regards to a timetable, but when the majority believes marriage should be JUST between 1 man and 1 woman, the majority is somehow misguided.

Timetable? How about pulling out "yesterday" and stay in the area and let them kill each other, their going to anyway. We could then go in and cleanup after.

Maybe that could our one thing to agree on?

July 23, 2007 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  13. Steve in Charlotte

Well, we already know Huckabee failed junior high science class because he doesn't believe in evolution. Apparently he failed high school government too, because he doesn't remember the part where the constitution that talks about SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE.

I'm also sure in the typical holier-than-thou double-standard type of thinking, governing by faith is only acceptable for a christian office-holder. I'm sure he would have serious problems if an elected official of another religion said they were governing by thier faith!

July 23, 2007 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  14. Rick, Chicago Illinois

I don't want chocolate in my peanut butter – or religion in my politics.

July 23, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  15. Anonymous

If Huckabee was a REAL Christian he would be opposed to pre-emptive war and would get our guys and gals out of Iraq. He is just another Neo-con playing on peoples emotions.

July 23, 2007 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. Bruce, Franklin, TN

Guess I was right about the secularlists...

Anyway, I take some solace in the fact that our founding fathers (unlike many amongst us) knew the difference between preventing a state sponsored religion in this country versus the elimination of the Judeo-Christian beliefs that were the backbone of our national values.

I'm wondering if all of you that are uncomfortable with Huckabee's stance were equally appalled with Jimmy Carter.

July 23, 2007 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  17. Brian, Middletown, NJ

It is likely that most of those uncomfortable with Huckabee would be equally uncomfortable with most of our country's founding fathers.

Clearly they would have a problem with John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and member of the 1st and 2nd Continental Congresses.

He was quoted as saying "Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

July 23, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |