July 23rd, 2007

Are women more competent than men? Clinton apparently thinks so

(CNN) - In her 30-second video, Sen. Hillary Clinton took an unorthodox approach that seemed to be designed to appeal to her base of Democratic female voters.

Clinton's video contained no images of her, of her famous husband or anyone else, for that matter. Instead, Clinton opted for a set of cards - like the cue cards used by late-night talk show hosts - against a background of classical music, each listing facts about the Bush administration.

"The number of Americans without health insurance: 50 million," one card read. "That's roughly the populations of California and New York," the following one explained.

"How long it took FEMA to begin evacuating Katrina victims from the Superdome." another card stated. The answer: "4 days."

"The number of weapons of mass destruction found in Iraq: Zero," another two-card sequence read.

And the last two cards? "Sometimes the best man for the job is a woman," and finally, "Hillary for President."

What did you think of Clinton's video?

– CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: CNN/YouTube Debate
  1. Jessica, Bourbonnais Illinois

I didn't really like Sen. Clinton's video because I thought it went against what she has said recently.She is not more competent because she is a woman or any less competent because she is a woman. It isn't about gender or race, it is about being qualified and being the best individual for the job.

July 23, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  2. prov RI

I believe her video is the most creative one! She proved herself one more time she is the most qualified candidate in the both Republican and Democrat fields!!!1

July 23, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  3. Maruthi Devarakonda, Houghton, MI

Well, I honestly admire the way Hillary has once again emerged as the strongest contender for Democratic nomination from the debate tonight. She has been quite eloquent and didn't have any second thoughts for what she believed in. This makes her a natural leader in her own unique style. Hillary! You are going to be the democratic nominee for the president and honestly, you will be the president!

July 23, 2007 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  4. Alex S. , Washington DC

I thought it was horrible. As a technology savvy person, I didn't understand why the flashcards were used to convey her message. As well, all the facts she stated are fairly well-known, but I didn't get a sense of what Clinton would do to improve the situation. In comparison with Obama's video, I think I just decided my vote this year.

July 23, 2007 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  5. Jason, Washington DC

The card that read, "The number of weapons of mass destruction found in Iraq: Zero" is entirely incorrect. We have found WMDs in Iraq. We have not found the "large stockpiles" that we expected to find.

July 23, 2007 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  6. Bob Pike, North Las Vegas, NV

I enjoyed the debate courtesy of CNN at the Silverton Casino in Las Vegas NV. My analysis of the debate definitely showed why Clinton and Obama are front runners. My personal opinion would be Clinton as President and Obama as vice President. Her solid network and experience with his ideas for change could carry the Democratic Party for 16 years. Hillary has experince in Healthcare, diplomacy with many other countries and the workings of Washington. They both have big money in contributions which they will need against the Republicans. The biggest challenge is if Obama would consider VP. Also a very important part is that no matter who wins the nomination, the others must unite to put forth the changes this country needs or they might as well elect another Republican.

July 23, 2007 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  7. Gerri Lynn, Vermillion, SD

I loved her video. It's very you-tube. I think she got the concept very well.

July 24, 2007 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  8. M.B. Salt Lake City Utah

CNN camera crew was sleeping on this one. Set so far back it was difficult to read. Buy the time you got close it was over.

July 24, 2007 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  9. Hartford, SD

I love that Hillary had her supporters submit videos and selected from those entries.

July 24, 2007 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  10. Rebecca, Tucson, AZ

I won a candy selling contest in 5th grade and got to select a glittery 70s-style slogan t-shirt. I chose one that read, "the best man for the job is a woman." I felt betrayed when my best pal explained why America would never have a woman president. I don't know if America is ready for a woman president, but someone in Sen. Clinton's campaign has me figured out. It's heady to think that my daughter my not feel the restraints I did.

July 24, 2007 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  11. Dorna Bandari, Los Angeles, CA

I liked this video, she really appeals to women voters, and they are 50% of the vote! I really liked Hillary in this debate, she was confident and strong, and the more I read about her the more respect I have for her. I can't wait to see how all the sexist world dictators will react to a strong female U.S. president. There is the "change" we are looking for.

July 24, 2007 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  12. Cal Wilkerson, Granbury, Texas

Clinton is on top. Am not sure American is ready for a woman or a black as president, but Hil is tough as nails with a program that must have designed by the people and for the people. Her creativity is heads above people like Alex of this comment column, and that's a very good reason why she can lead our country's brains and thinkers to win-win solutions!

July 24, 2007 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  13. tim, washington, dc

me thinks alex s. is a fibber. if he "just decided" to vote for obama, i would be greatly suprised....but im sure he thinks he is being sooo persuasive...

July 24, 2007 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  14. DMW, Roeland Park, KS

I enjoyed the video. I think, however, it will not get much traction for one simple reason: Americans do not like to read!!!!! Which is shameful. We'd rather have images, so we do not have to think too deeply.

I wish our Country read more.

July 24, 2007 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  15. Sheryl, Vero Beach, FL

I loved it, and think she is right!!

July 24, 2007 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  16. Anonymous

It's allways about race and gender. Honestly I would prefer Obama or Clinton but I think Edwards would have the best chances to become the democrat president. And that's really all that mattters. The new president has to be a democrat. And as sad as it is people vote for white male candidates. so sorry but I don't think America is ready for a black or female president.

July 25, 2007 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  17. Jeanne, Rayne, LA

Of the seven cadidates, only Clinton truly embraced the spirit of the challenge: to create a thirty second YouTube-style spot. Edwards and Richarson came close, but in terms of simplicity, creativity, and lack of budget, Clinton nailed it. It was sassy, stylish, and frankly, refreshing.

July 26, 2007 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  18. david Ess

but Bush isnt running for president?

July 26, 2007 11:03 am at 11:03 am |