July 23rd, 2007

Biden won! No, Obama won...

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (CNN) – Joe Biden won the debate. Well, at least according to the Biden campaign. By my count they were the first campaign to put out a press release crowning their candidate as the winner of the CNN/YouTube presidential debate. The Obama campaign was a close second with a press release declaring victory. And so it goes.

–CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: CNN/YouTube Debate
  1. Maruthi Devarakonda, Houghton, MI

I don't think neither of them won the debate. It was Hillary Clinton from the 'Go'. She is the natural winner and leader of today's debate.

July 23, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  2. Garrett Fort Wayne, Indiana

Well I'm glad that you "dont think neither of them" in reference to Obama and Biden won the campaign as said by the viewer from Houghton, Michigan.

John Edwards was the clear winner in the debate, showing poise and confidence and being able to support his beliefs thoroughly.

July 23, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  3. Ryan Kaminski, Chicago, IL

I must say, Mrs. Clinton was the most presidential.

July 23, 2007 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  4. Sam Newort, Ky.

I thought that Senator Biden did very well as did Governor Richardson. But in my opinion and it could be that I support this Candidate, but once again I think Senator Clinton once again showed her brilliance and her passion and won yet another debate.

July 23, 2007 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. G. Frank, Northfield, NJ

Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, John Edwards, and Dennis Kucinich all won tonight’s debate. The conscience and competence any one of them would bring to the Presidency is urgently needed as our troops continue to die, half our nation struggles without health care and real security, and our constitution is betrayed on a daily basis.

I have narrowed my focus to these five candidates; unless Al Gore steps into the race.

Any candidate on that stage would be a vast improvement over Bumble, Grumble, and the Fumbles.

July 23, 2007 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  6. princess, state college, pa

I think Senator Obama was the clear victor in that debate, he showed more spine in his answers than anyone else on that stage, he was very brilliant! He has EARNED my vote!

July 23, 2007 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  7. Jenna, New York, NY

The way things are looking, I'm not sure Biden can beat these other candidates who have so much more money and who seem to be doing a better job of getting their message heard by the African-American community, women voters, etc. But he seems like a sincere, intelligent, honest man, and I came away from this debate with a lot of admiration for him. If he can't win the Democratic nomination, then I hope whoever wins will make use of him as a running mate or Cabinet member or something, because he seems like a great man.

July 23, 2007 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  8. Melle Sensibaugh, Florence, S.C.

Hillary Clinton can talk the talk. The difference is Sen. Obama not only talks the talk but he walks the walk. This man is the hope of our country. He is genuine.

July 23, 2007 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  9. Mark Lodes, St. Louis, MO

and the real winner of the debate is... The American People. We finally got to ask unscripted questions directly to the candidates, and we got to see a true discussion about modern political opinions that showed that many of our candidates have come of age in this modern world. We got to see leaders who respected each-other, a woman, a black man, a Latino, old men, and young alike, all focusing everything they had at seeking positive change for this country. We won this debate! We won! in a close second place were, and in no particular order, (Obama, Biden, Edwards, Clinton, Kucinich, Blagoyavich, et all.)

July 23, 2007 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  10. Alberto Sabatini

The US Public lost by CNN limiting our choice to 3 candidates. CEO, Clinton, Edwards and Obama.

July 24, 2007 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  11. elizabeth woodfield

Obama did well until he fell for the "promise to meet" 5 problem leaders. With more experience he would have given Clinton's answer which is to pave the way for some breakthrough before the president meets with the other head of state.

That gave the debate to Hillary.

July 24, 2007 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  12. Ruby, SLC UT

I completely concur with a previous comment. We, the people, won. This time. Now, it's a matter of staying informed, inviting others to participate and ensuring that we cast that ballot.

July 24, 2007 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  13. Patrick Collins-Pellicone, Nantucket, Massachusetts

I continue to be blown away by Hillary Clinton. She is outstanding at these debates. Her mastery of the subject matter of each and every question is clear. I keep waiting for a question to come along that will stump her or one that will catch her off guard or one that will shine a light onto a less than favorable Hillary... However that question has yet to come, and she bats these queries out of the park with grace and ease all the while looking supremely presidential and a forceful commander in chief.

The contrast when she and Senator Obama are asked the same question is important and clear to me. Obama comes off as fresh and wide eyed but his answers seem a bit shallow and sophomoric. He is definitely not there yet and the Presidency is far from an entry level position. He could pull off the on-the-job training that the VP affords but it is clear that the one who will walk into the oval office with a full command of what needs to be done and what is the best course for going about it is Hillary Clinton.

I can't say it enough, she is very impressive.

July 24, 2007 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  14. Jonathan Brennan, New York NY

Everyone but Biden does nothing but spin the old evasive non-answers, beating around Bush.

Clearly Joe Biden cuts through the political slime nightmare and is the candidate our country desperately needs right now.

But nobody pays attention, because America is nearly as blind-folded and stupid as it was when half of us voted Bush!

Can anybody honestly say Biden did not have the most intelligent, coherent answers on all of the real questions from every debate? Is anybody paying attention or is a stereotypical non-answer the only kind that can capture our interest?

Kucinich, Clinton, Edwards, Obama: empty, canned morale for sale.

July 24, 2007 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  15. Anderw Miles IOWA

Are you crazy? No way obama won anything,infact I think you will see him slipping quicker in the polls after the vegas debate, he was awful!!! He doesnt measure up next to Clinton, or any others for that matter.
    CLINTON WON THE DEBATE AND WILL BE PRESIDENT