July 23rd, 2007

Obama: It doesn't matter if they get my name wrong

(CNN) - Democratic presidential contender Sen. Barack Obama rallied a room full of supporters as he stopped by a debate watching part in Charleston, South Carolina, late Monday night.

“When your name is Barack Obama, you’re already the underdog. So we’re going to have to work extra hard," the Illinois senator told the cheering crowd. They "might not pronounce my name right. They might call me 'Alabama.' They might call me 'Yo, Momma.' But here’s what I know. If everyone here is as energetic and enthusiastic about the prospects for a better America, then we’re not just going to win an election, we’re going to transform the country.”

–CNN Political Desk Editor Steve Brusk

1. Tajdar Orlando Florida

One question, To understand the thinking of Pakistani people you need to read The book by one of its President "Atub Khan" which is FRIENDS NOT MASTERS.had we understood them and worked with them 50 years before when Pakistan was a friend in the block, Not India which was Russian block. Until you do not understand the thinking of region it will be hard to be a reliable friend we have done worst with that country and actually pushed it in the situation it is now. you do not believe me ok, see all the paeople over 45 and ask them wjhat they think about mullahs.

July 24, 2007 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  2. Phil M, Toronto Ontario

As as Canadian, and unbiased... i see Obama as very prophetic, and an 08 with obama is an 08 of change.

July 24, 2007 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  3. Anonymous

i was a obama supporter, but after the debate, I am going towards clinton

July 24, 2007 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  4. Banjo, Austell Ga.

I find that intresting. Obama guy realy got something going on. With enough time left I think Hillary is in for a hell of a Fall political semester.
    I think Obama did very well in the debates, I expected so much from Hillary but my expectations felt flat.

July 24, 2007 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  5. Gary, Boston MA

Too many Americans can't even form a cohesive sentence or point out Iraq on a map. Does Obama really expect citizens to spell his name correctly? Ask them about the Constitution, and you'll get a blank stare. Ask them about the key components in a Big Mac, and they'll rattle it right off without a thought. If you are lucky, they might even sing it!

July 24, 2007 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  6. Maxwell, Boulder Creek, CA

I'm a center-right independent but I think Obama speaks from his heart and is the person who can 'heal' the bitterness that has engulfed America during the Clinton and Bush II years. Who wants to go through another 4 years of such partisan bitterness and rancor? All the talk about lack of experience is mainstream media Goebbelsian creation. Obama has the judgment, temperament and the moral strength to inspire America and the world.

July 24, 2007 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  7. stephanie, mercer, pa

You Go Barack! Yo Mamma.

July 24, 2007 04:13 am at 4:13 am |
  8. Jeff, Surrey, BC

So long as the right stops calling him "Osama Obama"...

These are the same people who freak out whenever anyone on the left compares some of this administration's policy with those of the Nazi party.

July 24, 2007 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  9. Travis B Glade Spring, Virginia

Words like this are strong and deserve attention. I am commenting only because I can't believe there aren't more comments. Sure there are 35 comments posted on other articles, because people are looking for oppurtunities to bash Clinton,Edwards,Obama or the Bush Administration. Quit whining. Quit being so negative. The fire is there in so many of us, but it is so misdirected. No matter whether Obama, Romney, Clinton or anyone else wins, let us transform the country.

July 24, 2007 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  10. Lyn, Silver Spring MD

You guys just can't bring yourselves to admit he won can you!!!!!! That's OK "We the People Know". This time around we won't let MSM determine what we see think or believe. Bush and the Iraq war has shown us you can't be trusted.

July 24, 2007 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  11. shawn, kansas city, mo.

Personally, I'm not ready for a President Obama, in America. Washington, Lincoln, Regan, Obama...!
    We need to know more about his past, and he needs more experience under his belt.

July 24, 2007 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  12. Ernie, North Truro, MA

A guest of our not into politics yet told me the other day, "I'll do the dishes. You can go upstairs and watch Barometer..... Go Barack!

July 24, 2007 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  13. Ryan, New York, NY

Shawn,
    Would it be better if his last name were Smith or Jones?

I'm curious how much you know about Washington, Lincoln, and Reagan's pasts and how much experience they had prior to their election. I'm sure it doesn't matter since their names sound "American," right?

P.S. If you're going to use Reagan as an example of a "normal" name, at least spell it right.

July 24, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. Robert M. Reidy, Tillson, N.Y.

Consider the courage of Barak Obama even though so many say we are not ready for a black president. Consider the authenticity – his past community action and his responses to people
    one on one. Consider his intelligence –
    President of the Harvard Law Review. Consider his energy and enthusiasm.
    Consider his ability to see the big picture. Consider his ability to clearly articulate an idea. Consider
    his impact on world oppinion when we
    elect a president with a name like Barak Obama – we will gain back much of our lost priceless prestige. Consider
    all of the candidates both Rep. and Dem. and tell me that Obama is not the most talented for bringing this country together. Consider...

July 24, 2007 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  15. jesteramos

How strong do the words of the good Senator Obama can actually contribute to the nation's cry for change. It is not in the name will be he remembered by the American people it by his courage, and principle. Indeed it is a principled fight that he is launching this election. An underdog he is but the legacy he is making today is more than a legacy that he has dreamed of, more than liberator he is, more than a victor of any hardcore battle or war... He is the future of our lost generation. And I believed that he can change anything with our prayers and support....

July 25, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  16. Steve Chollar, St. Paul, MN

Barack Obama's pending success might be measured with the O'Bameter, especially if he becomes a little less pretty and a little more gritty.

July 26, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  17. D.L. Moran - Salem, VA

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me what Bush-Cheney light means? It sounds derogatory in nature.

July 26, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |