July 23rd, 2007

Turning the page

(CNN) - In what is becoming a consistent message of Sen. Barack Obama's campaign, his YouTube video included a popular line in his stump speech, "We want something new. We want to turn the page."

Obama, Democrat from Illinois, wants to paint himself as a candidate of a younger generation who will not get caught up in the partisan battles in Washington. The video also prominently showed the line "we can change the world" onscreen. It was the final campaign-style YouTube video of the night.

What did you think of Obama's video?

– CNN Producer Ted Metzger

Filed under: CNN/YouTube Debate
  1. Maruthi Devarakonda, Houghton, MI

Obama's video has got all the ingredients to be termed as a good video. But folks! we should understand something here...Obama doesn't have the experience to deal with things at Washington D.C. I am sure he is a charismatic leader and a good speaker but you need someone who has first hand experience in dealing things such as Hillary...who is a natural leader.

July 23, 2007 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  2. Kimberly W., Raleigh, NC

In an era where people are continually clamoring for change, it amazes me that 'old-style' politicians such as Clinton, Dodd and Biden among others are even still in the running, much less cranking about Obama's perceived lack of experience. We have someone here who has experience, but of a different, perhaps more meaningful type, and who brings something not often seen to the table: OPTIMISM, not cynicism!

Contrary to what George Bush would have us believe, the president does not make independent decisions unilaterally. When Obama is elected, he will have many voices of experience there to help him channel his optimism into practice.

OBAMA 2008!!!

July 23, 2007 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. Steph Lally Princeton, New Jersey

I really like Obama's campaign video. In invited an optimism uncommon in political campaigns; I appreciate that he is focusing more on solutions to the challenges facing America than the difficulties in getting there. Overall, I think that the message he portrays is universal, afterall, who isn't ready to turn the page? I didn't think I could support a democratic candidate but Obama just may win me over.

July 23, 2007 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  4. Lakisha St.Louis, Mo

How much experience must one have 50 years. Obama was born to lead. Also who can win a general it sure isn't Hill

July 23, 2007 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  5. Diane D. Neenah WI

I personally liked the video. It was empowering to the viewer and called citizens to action. There was a shot that looked very similar to a famous Martin Luther King picture but in color. Ya gotta figure that it was very intentional. Considering all the campaign videos I saw this evening, his was my favorite.

July 23, 2007 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  6. sammy, toronto, canada

Hi,
    I am a canadian and I am an avid follower of the 08 US presidential run. I do think Americans have to look deeper at Ms Clinton rather than the cliches she utters to every question.
    Mark my words, by 2012 all americans (republicans and democrats) will seriously regret if Ms Clinton is elected.
    I had rather vote for lunes like Gravel and Kucinich that I know than a candidate who says oppoisite things to people on opposite sides of the same issue.

July 23, 2007 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  7. Dave, Columbus OH

The video gave me a cult of personality feel, with crowds of adoring fans worshiping like him like he was Elvis, the Beatles or some other pop icon.

July 23, 2007 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  8. Janet Alicesun,Huntington Beach CA

Loved this format. CNN offers the most balanced and unbiased coverage of world news and political coverage. Would appreciate MUCH MORE YouTube political coverage BUT with more attention to candidates specific policies and plans for education, healthcare with emphasis on prevention, social security, taxes, immigration reform, campaign finance reform & infrastructure rebuilding. Pick two topics per broadcast and get specific.

July 23, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  9. Mark Lodes, St. Louis, MO

The audio clips used in the video were from different speeches, sometimes changing mid-sentence. This slightly distracted me from the message, which was a very powerful one. It was a strong video, that could have been stronger had the audio of his words been more fluid, and less changing in tone, especially mid sentence, mid idea.

July 23, 2007 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  10. Aidyn, NY, NY

Obama has great charisma and is very smart. BUT he is not yet ready to lead. Did you see what Hillary did to him on that dictactor question, she killed him.
    She understands what it takes to be CIC.

July 23, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  11. David E. Kirkland, NY, NY

I thoroughly enjoyed Barack Obama's YouTube video. In a phrase, it was inspiring. In this moment of fatal hopelessness, the country is in need of inspiration, moral leadership, and change. I get this from Senator Obama. Perhaps more important, I get the sense that he has deep conviction and the ability to communicate his hope to others. In terms of Clinton "killing" Obama during any aspect of the debate, I disagree wholeheartedly. Obama's key response that he would be open to talk sets him miles apart from the current administration. Clinton's ambivalence to take a true stance aligned her–no centers her–directly in kind with George W. Bush in American arrogance. We need a president whose foreign policy is always open to diplomacy, always open to dialogue. This is how we lead–we lead by listening.

July 23, 2007 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  12. Gary, Boston MA

"We want something new, we want change"... in other words, when translated.. it means.. "I'm from the same corporate sponsored club they are.. but I am trying to make the claim that I am not in the club. I want to weave the illusion that there is real choice here, when there is not". Put into simpler words, ALL candidates, whether Republican or Democrat, are all the same. Maybe an apple of a slightly different color, but they are all apples. We all know there is at least one rotten in each bunch. If not more. What does that mean? One bad apple spoils the entire bunch. They are all guilty for letting this war continue. They are all guilty for neglecting this nation. They are all funded by greedy special interests, and do not serve in the interest of the people. Having a HUGE cash fund does NOT mean success. It means 'look at me, i'm the most corrupt!'

July 24, 2007 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  13. Sandra Taenzer, Elgin, IL

Senator Obama's video was energetic, exciting, and dynamic. It represented him. I have been watching his progress for a long time. I remember reading the article in Time or Newsweek when he graduated from Harvard Law that said he had over 600 job offers. I remember thinking who is this amazing black man? Then when he returned to IL and was elected to the IL Senate I was tremendously interested in how he would conduct himself. He led on all of the issues for young children, health care, etc. etc. Then when he ran for the US Senate I knew he was quite amazing. Those of us who have been watching him for all of these years know that he is brilliant, considered, empathetic, resourceful, and an amazing leader. There is no experience gap here. For the record, I am just a 68 year old grandmother who has been fortunate enough to live in IL who voted for JFK and believes that Barack Obama is even more. He is in the mold of MLK.

July 24, 2007 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  14. Maria Hargis, Winston-salem, NC

Obama's video was awesome. I love the closing line We can change the world. I believe he can be a great leader and he will go down in history.

July 24, 2007 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  15. Clem Brooklyn NY

If one listen to the question that was asked about the dictators, Obama was direct and to the point,a plea and condition that was made at the opening of the debate.
    Thus to suggest that Clinton kill him I wonder what was this person listining to. Again the freshness of Obama came to the fore. He said what he would do; that is speak to them.
    On the other hand the question also said who would speak to them without conditions.? Clinton: I make certain they do not make milage of this. was that a condition set by clinton in response to the question ?

July 24, 2007 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  16. Charlene, Boston, MA

It scares me when I think about Obama's inexperience. Yes, he stirs inspiration and optimism when he speaks, but are words enough for a great leader? I don't think so. I think a great leader must be proven through actions. As a junior senator, he has not built any sort of track record that would convince me of anything. So really, the scariest thing is not that I think he would be a bad president, but that I don't have the slightest clue of what kind of president he would be. Optimism is necessary, but politics in politics is inevitable. Obama must still deal with the politics to achieve the changes he promises.

I see a very young, wide eyed Obama in his video. He has great ideas, but in the real world, can these great ideas take form? I wish he would show me more of his tangible achievements and voting records. Barack Obama needs to prove that he has the abilities to realize changes.

July 24, 2007 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  17. Lucia, Los Angeles, CA

It was the best video, by far.

July 24, 2007 03:29 am at 3:29 am |
  18. Jarrod- Santa Rosa, CA

I'll quote the first comment:

"Obama doesn’t have the experience to deal with things at Washington D.C. I am sure he is a charismatic leader and a good speaker but you need someone who has first hand experience in dealing things such as Hillary…who is a natural leader."

I don't totally agree. I liked his video- and I thought it was promising. One of the youtube submissions brought up a good point- we would have two families running the executive office for 28 years... The Bush family and the Clinton family. We need something new, and it would be a clearly new statement to America, to have a fresh face in office.

The President's job isn't as hard as everyone makes it seem. They have tons of aides and assistants behind them all the time, and most times, don't directly handle most of their "jobs". The President is a figure-head, who simply needs to work with Congress to resolve issues in the public arena and prepare speeches for the American people to relay our nation's progress or lack thereof. Do you think George W. Bush really makes his decisions? We need a President that has the charisma and character that reflects to the people- and assures the people that Congress, the Pentagon, and all branches of government are running smoothly. The President is the CEO of America- they don't need to be as experienced as everyone likes to make it seem. Sure, experience helps, but the lack of experience shouldn't be the only factor determining the ability to be the President. Barack has a lot of potential.

Also, let's remember, that Bill Clinton was merely Governor of Arkansas before he became President- so what did 'he' know about Washington? Just because Hillary Clinton is more experienced in Washington doesn't mean she's what America needs. That would just be "more of the same", right?

July 24, 2007 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  19. Anonymous

I hate all the candidates but in no way do I want Clinton in office. I'm tired of having Bushes and Clintons. This is America where we elect new leaders. Not England where we have families rule.

July 24, 2007 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  20. Lyn, Silver Spring MD

David, I agree with you and it appears so did everyone else except the MSM, but of course they HAVE to try and find something to highlight Hillary with even if it is made up. Focus group reactions are very telling NH, Obama wins 33% to Hillary 8%. Equally as lopsided with the SC focus group. 3/4 of the people who came in supporting Hillary switched to Obama

July 24, 2007 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  21. Ronald J Davis, Charlotte, NC

You know I have stayed away from commenting on anything that I see on the web. But this one comment Posted By “Maruthi Devarakonda, Houghton, MI: July 23, 2007 10:19 pm" has stirred such a debate that I think needs to be put to rest. Mr. Bush’s LACK LEADERSHIP AND EXPERIENCE! If that is the case than why do we have a lack lusting two term president with an IQ of “0” and a “C” average president? Why not Sen. Barack Obama or for that matter Hillary? Whether some people may like it or not American has changed, some for the good and some for the bad. I think he (Sen. Barack Obama) will bring about that change that we so need as a country, maybe not as president but as vice president. America is not ready for a leader of another race YET. BUT THERE IS HOPE!

July 24, 2007 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  22. old style, home land

Turn the page, or change the channel, Obama should take over Fred Thompson's TV role and Fred should be relegated to re-runs.

July 24, 2007 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  23. Ali, Chicago, IL

The video highlighted one of the things that Obama's campaign has that no one else's campaign has... his grassroots following. It shows that the American people are excited about his candidacy because he is actually thinking about making positive policies for the people he represents. How refreshing.

July 24, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  24. Kim, Mpls., MN

By far, the best video submitted. You can tell he is a natural leader because you want to listen and follow him after he speaks. I don't want to follow Hillary anywhere.

July 24, 2007 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. Louise Johnson, Norcross, GA

Turning the page video could have been even more powerful, if it showed the loses, the hopeleness, the pains of poverty, joblessness and healthcare issues, then the turning of the page would have been more powerful.

It MUST become his consistent them.

July 24, 2007 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |