July 24th, 2007

Former Giuliani state co-chair resigns from office

Ravenel faces federal cocaine charges.

(CNN) – Saying he was “deeply sorry” to his family and the state, South Carolina Treasurer Thomas Ravenel resigned from office Tuesday on the day he faces cocaine charges in court.

The former state chairman for Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani was indicted June 19 on a federal charge of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. He resigned the position with Giuliani last month.

Leaving the federal courthouse in Columbia after a court appearance, Ravenel said, “I’m deeply disappointed in myself for the circumstances surrounding my presence here today to due to the personal mistakes I’ve made in my life. I want to offer a heartfelt apology to South Carolina. To the people of South Carolina and to my family, I am deeply sorry.”

The 44-year-old had been suspended from his elected position by Governor Mark Sanford in the wake of the indictment. Formally stepping down, Ravenel told reporters in a soft voice, “Now in the best interest of our state, I believe I must resign the position of Treasurer of the State of South Carolina, and I have so informed the Governor, effective today.”

He took no questions as he walked to a car with his family at his side.

Tuesday was the first time Ravenel went before a judge. He has previously entered a not guilty plea through his attorneys while in rehabilitation.

– CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Will - Miami, Fl

Look up Rudy's record people. His past is FILLED with shady characters like this guy. Heck, his dad was a collector/enforcer for a bookie!

HE'S A RAT!

July 24, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  2. Harsha, Boston MA

It is just me, or is it becoming more apparent that all the folks that are resigning, are from the republican side?

The chips have to fall at some point, right?

July 24, 2007 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Wow – that is news to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Rudy's dad had a criminal background.

Guiliani is a fraud and con-man. The people deserve better.

July 24, 2007 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. Providence, RI

Giuliani would not gain any fame if it were not for media. The media, like CNN, MSNBC, made Giuliani a big HOT SHOT. However, the theme of his campaign are: 911 and spreading fear with it! Giuliani time is over. He is a gold digger from the ground zero!

July 24, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Pete, T.S. FL

It is interesting that this guy had to resign. A real leader would have fired him long ago.
    I guess Judy; you are not a real leader!

“WE THE PEOPLE”

July 24, 2007 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. bret, atl, ga

I wish it were Rudy going to jail rather than this guy. Maybe then he wouldn't be advocating turning this country into a police-state autocracy.

July 24, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. JWH

Electing Rudy Giuliani would be like electing George W. Bush (The worst President ever) for another four years.

Thanks but no thanks.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaiXRi6q4p4&w=640&h=390]

July 24, 2007 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Giuliani is more dangerous to this country than terrorism.

July 25, 2007 08:16 am at 8:16 am |