July 24th, 2007

New ad calls Obama 'soldier for justice'

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (CNN) –- Sen. Barack Obama has launched a new radio ad targeting African-American voters in South Carolina, his presidential campaign announced Tuesday.

“It’s Barack Obama time,” says the ad’s narrator. “A Christian family man, community organizer, civil rights lawyer, courageous legislator, and U.S. senator who’s told the truth as a soldier for justice.”

Obama senior national adviser Rick Wade acknowledged the phrase “soldier for justice” has strong civil rights and Christian overtones.

“Sen. Obama is someone who has fought for the poor. That phrase does represent who he is,” Wade told CNN. “We think the phrase will resonate with voters in South Carolina.”

Obama’s South Carolina state director Stacey Brayboy said the ad will play in 36 urban and gospel radio stations across the state.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

1. Will, Miami, Fl

Told the truth? He's some truth that I didn't hear last night:

You spoke of eliminating "tax breaks". Didn't you REALLY mean "I'm going to raise taxes"? I mean come on, let's talk straight here dude. You're an honest man right? You know there's no such think as a "tax break". It's not the government's money. How can you give someone a "break" by not taking more of his/her money just to spend on other people that didn't earn it?

Yup, your just as honest as the rest of your parties candidates...

July 24, 2007 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  2. Paul, Kissimmee Florida

Is it a surprise that he's going to target African Americans? Clinton's a soldier for women activists.Nice popularity contest we have going.I hope somebody will fight for me.

July 24, 2007 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  3. cliff jones, honolulu hi

When did he fight for these poor folks? Lets see; In the Senate; no, hes only been there for two years. In college; no, no poor folks at Columbia or Harvard. Just where did he fight for the poor?

July 25, 2007 04:13 am at 4:13 am |
  4. Allen, Nashville

I would strongly suggest that Christian voters read an article in The Christian Century May 20, 2007, and read first hand about Senator Obama's church and its beliefs before voting on a candidate blindly.

July 25, 2007 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  5. Joseph, Washington, DC

I am waiting for the time when the Junior Senator from IL can point to one victory on any of the issues that he is running on since being elected to the Senate. While I personally being a black male myself respect and honor the senator for his election to office, I do take issue with his statements on what he 'has' done.

When talking about what Senator Obama did as a community organizer, union supporter, state legislator, and even role model I say praise him to the high heavens. I don't doubt that he is black enough for me. What has been keeping me on the sidelines about my support for him is that he can't tell me what he has done in the Senate on these issues but his speeches will have you thinking he has done something.

July 25, 2007 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  6. ReadBtwthlins

Not all soldiers make good leaders.

Vote policy over personality..

July 25, 2007 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  7. John Gibson, Fort Bragg, NC

I don't think in this day and age, where our government is sending thousands of members of its military from their families and homes for several months at a time, is a good idea. It is an almost demeaning metaphore that waters down the professional job title that many of our fellow Americans share. I wonder how many politicians would commit themselves to volunteering to be taken away from the people and places they know, then thrust into such a chaotic place in the world...for over a year. Many of them, unfortunately, are coaches of a sport they have yet to play. But this is just my opinion

July 25, 2007 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  8. Tom - Dedham, Mass

A courageous legislator, what makes him so "courageous?

A soldier for justice, when did he serve and in what branch?

All the goodwill he has recieved is going down the tubes, typical buzzwords that don't mean squat, how about pandering to ALL Americans.

July 25, 2007 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  9. Pete, T.S. FL

“W” professed to be a Christian family man………………………………………………….

“WE THE PEOPLE”

July 25, 2007 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  10. Jared B.

How about we STOP VOTING policy which has been the norm and has gotten us NOWHERE! Lets pick a leader who is someone who can change the way things are done and freshen up Washington!

July 25, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  11. Tom - Dedham, Mass

No Allen from Nashville, the Republicans are going to wait to use that during the campaign if he is the candidate or the VP.

The leader of his church has some interesting "viewpoints" on how he thinks the world order should be and this is he leader that Obama has called an inspiration and a friend.

In due time, in due time.

July 25, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  12. Linda - Albany, NY

So much for neutrality and equality. I'm real tired of the differentials. It's pretty simple...if you're born in America, then you are American, not __/American, etc. This country will never be equal and united so long as we demand separation of races, even in this small form. Why the beg need to "target" any group? Just be straight forward without all the hype.

Way to play the race/religious card, Mr. Obama!

July 25, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Simple FACT: EVERY politician panders to somebody.

PERIOD!

Whether it's Obama to blacks, Hillary to women, Dems to illegals (via amnesty) for the Latino vote, Rudy to the chest-thumping fear-mongerers, or Republicans to the religious conservatives and evangelical freaks.

It's part of having these segments of the population vote for you so you'll get elected.

If you don't like it, don't run for office and don't bother discussing politics!

July 27, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  14. H. Arnold, Chicago, Illinois

MEDIA.....Please stick with the issues about candidates. Who cares about "cleavage" especially Mrs. Clinton's.

July 28, 2007 08:17 am at 8:17 am |