July 25th, 2007

Protester removed from Fred Thompson event

A protester questioned Thompson’s conservatism Wednesday.

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) – A woman screaming “you’re not a real conservative, sir” was removed by police from a welcoming reception for likely GOP presidential candidate Fred Thompson Wednesday morning. A second protester was also taken from the room.

Houston police officers escorted the woman — as well as a man — from the hangar at Hobby Airport, where Thompson was shaking hands with a crowd of supporters. They were not arrested.

The woman questioned Thompson as he talked to reporters. She asked him why he was a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and noted that the organization supported the North American Union with Canada and Mexico.

After the woman interrupted Thompson by questioning his conservative credentials, the likely candidate said, “Don’t fuss at me. You asked me a question. Let me answer it.” He told the woman, “I try to learn as much as I can from all viewpoints.”

Later, she shouted at Thompson as the news conference ended. Police officers took her outside a fenced area near the hangar, and stood with her until the former Tennessee senator departed.

Editor’s Note: In the comments section below (#4), the woman has identified herself as a member of the group “Houston 9/11 Truth.” In a video of the incident linked on her blog, she is also heard charging the attack in New York on 9/11 was a “inside job.”

– CNN Political Desk Manager Steve Brusk

Filed under: Fred Thompson
  1. Pat J. San Dimas, CA

She's imploring people to ask themselves why she was made to leave when others weren't.
    Well, maybe when someone is shouting "What do you think about 9/11 being an inside job" it just doesn't take long to figure out that she's a nut.

Incidentally, I'm a Conservative myself, and I'd just as soon not leave it to loonie liberals to tell me who's a "real" Conservative. But maybe that's just me.

July 25, 2007 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. Steven, New York City

These 911truth.org folks are lunatics. They have plastered traffic signals and road signs all over New York City with their odious stickers. Although I'm no Fred fan, I find these 911truth.org crackpots to be the lowliest bottom feeders of them all.

July 25, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  3. Sam, College Station TX

I am a life long GOP. I was hoping Fred would add something to the GOP race that has been missing. After watching the whole video, I think he is surrounded by more thugs that want only to surpress our right to free speech..... he lost my vote.

July 25, 2007 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  4. Albert, Vernon CT.

Ron Paul! HA! Look at the numbers.. Not only the polls, but the number of "people" who show up to see him. The ship has sailed on that fantasy. Go crawl under your rock.

July 25, 2007 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. Matt, AL

They should probably show the whole video. It appears they chased her out of the building after asking a tough question about the North American Union.

CNN, why did you only show her being thrown out? She was respectful of Fred, and the police just grabbed her for no reason. Would they through Lou Dobbs out of the building for asking that question?

July 25, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  6. lil, jax, fl

There goes the first amendment..wha a bunch of douchebags...great job Mrs. ;)

July 25, 2007 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  7. Christopher, Houston, TX

Ron Paul? *Doesn't* care about money and power? Maybe, maybe not - but he'd be enabling those who do. That, and the complete and total dismantling of the public education system, wage laws, and child labor laws, amongst other things. That's what a libertarian does - ends government oversight so that people in power can continue to, or take *more*, advantage of regular people. I'm all for reducing government and increasing efficiency - I think we all are - but the knee-jerk idea that all government's bad, inefficient, and predatory and therefore needs to be removed from existence is just plain stupid. Ron Paul idiots haven't thought this one through, nor do I think Ron Paul himself has, either. How's he going to keep working as a doctor when government medical licensing ceases to exist, or falls into private industry's hands? The medical field'll look like the market for foreign programmers on elance or guru - a whole bunch of scammers trying to make a buck. Nobody's explained the inherent stupidity in the system - we created government to protect us from predatory government, yes, but also from predatory individuals. Without it, we'll have protection from neither - and that's the libertarian's paradise, since, by and large, they're largely boarding-school rich idiots like Tucker Carlson (college dropout, by the way).

July 25, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  8. Marie, Rocklin, CA

As a conservative I cannot even hold my nose and vote for the current list of candidates running for the Republican nomination. Unfortunately, Ron Paul and Duncan hunter do not have a chance at the nomination so my vote goes to Thompson. I believe he is the only one who has a chance to beat Hillary. I read "The Fred Factor" and I believe it will answer many questions about where he stands and if he is up to the job. I can hardly wait for him to announce.

July 25, 2007 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  9. Drew---Clearwater, FL

You know, the protesters are the same operatives who were working for the Dean campaign. It's the typical liberal smear campaign. You will NEVER find a flawless person. Fred Thompson is the only TRUE Conservative out there. Not even Ronaldus Magnus was flawless. He too made some mistakes in his political career. I just ignore these phony bolognas–because that is what you have to do. Here is another example of someone who is threatened by Fred Thompson. If I was Fred Thompson I would have just ignored her completely.

July 25, 2007 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. Jen, Des Moines, Iowa

Most of you are the reason why your party is going down the tubes. Whether you're a Ron Paul/Alex Jones "fan", or just a straight-out fringe liberal, YOU are the reason why you're constantly having to explain and defend yourselves.

Your party's downfall will be by your own hand....and those of us who are NOT left-wing fringe are happy to watch it sink. And remember....the democrat party of old would have eaten your kind for lunch 40 years ago.

July 25, 2007 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  11. New York

If you don't like a candidates position:
    campaign against him
    vote for another candidate
    run against him
    DON'T:
    be abusive and obnoxious
    Or, you might be mistaken for a "progressive".

July 25, 2007 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  12. Barbara, Arlington, Texas

Go Big Fred! She should be glad she didn't do this to Bill Clinton. He used to have people detained and/or arrested for the same type of thing.

July 25, 2007 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  13. Rhymes With Right, Houston, Texas

I was standing next to the Ron PauLunatic at the event - she was behaving irrationally, repeatedly complaining about being jostled by people in the crowd.

But then again, her question and her comments about 9/11 being an inside job should have clued everyone in.

July 25, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  14. mark euless, tx

nobody here seems to care that protest gets you removed by the police...am I the only 1 concerned by this? who cares if they weren't arrested...what happened to the 1st amm right of "grievance, petition, assembly and speech"?

July 25, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  15. mike jones maryland

One word:

NEWT

July 25, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  16. Dan M., Rocklin, Ca

One would have to view this woman as a liberal the way she came off. She reminded me of Cindy Sheehan, like she wanted to throw doubt upon Thompson. She may be from someone else's political camp!
    I am not a Thompson supporter but this is how I view it. Dan M.

July 25, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  17. Christian Leefeldt Tempe Arizona

What's funny to me is todays conservatives are yesterday's liberals and todays liberals are socialists and communists. Karl Marx would be proud of his socialist evolutionary process called Dialectical Materialism

July 25, 2007 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  18. wayne, san diego, ca

"Don't fuss at me", just what we need is another dumb hillbilly in the whitehouse...

July 25, 2007 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. Mike, Clearwater, FL

All you tin foil hat wearing Ron Paul supporters are just so upset that you're guy (rightfully) gets no attention. An undeclared candidate is destroying your boy in the polls. Fred will win the nomination. Ron Paul will be gone right after he collects his matching FEC funds in January.

July 25, 2007 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  20. Joey, Dickinson Texas

Funny, this lady isn't a conservative either. She was another loony lefty implant from Ron Paul...yeah I guess he's a real conservative hah? You people are nuts. You heard her screaming "9/11 was an inside job!", sorry, but that is a leftist nut job statement.

July 25, 2007 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  21. Allen, Nashville, TN

Fred Thompson is an actor
    Ron Paul is the real thing

July 25, 2007 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  22. Hal McCombs Jasper, Alabama

Does this mean Bush is not a true conservative?

No. But Bush is most definitely not a true conservative.

July 25, 2007 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  23. CJ, Indy, IN

I thought it was an apropriate response. Fred looks good to me, but its early. Try holding back the labels and easy classifications. Lets hear what he says as the election gets closer. Its too easy to get caught up on political taglines like neo-con and totally tune out WHO he is instead of WHAT he is.

July 25, 2007 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  24. Travis, Franklin Lakes, NJ

Wow, this chain is full of morons. Ron paul is an absolute nut and the last person who should be in charge. You people give conservatives a bad name. The hate speech you use to describe a very decent man (Thompson) shows how ridiculous your argument is.

Oh yeah, the lady in the video made an absolute ass of herself. Seriously, what do you think is going to happen when you rudely try to speak over the very person you claim to be interviewing? You tried to make it about you, not the issue. You're clearly trying to draw attention to Ron Paul, which makes you little more than his puppet.
    Agree with him or not, but don't expect anyone to listen when you call the man 'scumbag' or 'rat' or 'traitor.' You people should stop breeding.

July 25, 2007 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  25. john smith, valencia, california

Add enough of this po' mouthin', Republican candidates and you all will get Mama Hilary for President. If you think she's a choice is truely crazy. Explore what she and her hand picked leftest coilition did for Arkansas Public Schools. Heck! She almost did the same thing with the nation's health care, You think HMOs are Heck???
    Well, just keep on going after the rep. candidates and you'll really get yours after the elections.

July 25, 2007 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |