July 25th, 2007

Protester removed from Fred Thompson event

A protester questioned Thompson’s conservatism Wednesday.

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) – A woman screaming “you’re not a real conservative, sir” was removed by police from a welcoming reception for likely GOP presidential candidate Fred Thompson Wednesday morning. A second protester was also taken from the room.

Houston police officers escorted the woman — as well as a man — from the hangar at Hobby Airport, where Thompson was shaking hands with a crowd of supporters. They were not arrested.

The woman questioned Thompson as he talked to reporters. She asked him why he was a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and noted that the organization supported the North American Union with Canada and Mexico.

After the woman interrupted Thompson by questioning his conservative credentials, the likely candidate said, “Don’t fuss at me. You asked me a question. Let me answer it.” He told the woman, “I try to learn as much as I can from all viewpoints.”

Later, she shouted at Thompson as the news conference ended. Police officers took her outside a fenced area near the hangar, and stood with her until the former Tennessee senator departed.

Editor’s Note: In the comments section below (#4), the woman has identified herself as a member of the group “Houston 9/11 Truth.” In a video of the incident linked on her blog, she is also heard charging the attack in New York on 9/11 was a “inside job.”

– CNN Political Desk Manager Steve Brusk

Filed under: Fred Thompson
  1. r chisolm, dallas tx

Of course he is a CFR type as they all are,think any party or election matters to the one worlders,its become so open these days they no longer refer to anyone mentioning about it as a "conspiricy nut",just as you are told daily how "great the economy is,no inflation ets".

July 26, 2007 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  2. R. Conservative

As a die-hard conservative, a Fred Thompson candidacy excites me about as much as a race between two turtles. If he wins the nomination, I'll have to vote 3rd party.

July 26, 2007 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  3. Ed, Dorrance PA

Oooh! I just watched the YouTube video and it's so excellent. It turns out the woman is a "Truther"! Since Ron Paul is both a "Truther" and a John Bircher, I can see why his supporters are here cheering this conspiracy theorist woman on.

July 26, 2007 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  4. Greg Halliburton, Tullahoma, TN

He might not be "Ronald Regan" but he beats a Democrat any day!

He's the best candidate among the contenders.

July 26, 2007 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  5. don

word. he is no true conservative. he is a mccain wannabee.

July 26, 2007 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  6. D.R. Bacliff

And I suppose that the Democrats have anyone running who is any different. they are all a bunch of crooks wanting to give America away to the highest bidder. If a Union is so great take a long hard look at the EU and see how good it is doing. They are all for the NAU no matter what they say in public. Money talks and BS walks.

July 26, 2007 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  7. Las Vegas, NV

Remember that Free Trade is better everywhere and always!

July 26, 2007 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  8. Charles Purvis, Jackson, Ga.

Ron Paul is an isolationist. Now if you think that will work in today's world of islamic extremism, just roll on over and go back to sleep. Let the real men who have a pair, like Fred Thompson and George W. Bush, handle this situation, because you see, if this isn't handled, no other issue will really matter.

July 26, 2007 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  9. James, Mastic, NY

Bryan's comment (July 25, 2007 5:11 pm) says most of what I was thinkin', but seeing as how many commenters have repeated the bit about her being a kook, I've no problem repeating a more balanced view.

Anyone who bothers to watch the video the woman herself shot (this CNN video does not tell the whole story) will see that this woman was acting like every other person there... that is, UNTIL the police/tsa layed hands on her, for reasons that no one has yet explained...

If she had been screaming like that the whole time, I would agree that she deserved to be removed. But she wasn't. Her screaming began BECAUSE she was being removed.

When the police start "removing" people at a candidate's bidding, so that s/he can avoid a tough question or manage a photo op (as when team Bush allows Pro-Bush signs and t-shirts to line a road, but anti-Bush signs and shirts are penned up in "free speech zones"), there is something very wrong. The police are supposed to work for the public, not the powerful.

July 26, 2007 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  10. R.K., ATL, GA

Gee, with all the angery comments on this page, I guess all the little liberals must have set their alarm clocks this morning (probably the first they ever needed to use one). Go back to sleep, you angry little boys and girls, the adults are trying to talk.

July 26, 2007 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  11. Angela, Scranton PA

Fred Thompson is not a conservative. Anyone who thinks so, is only kidding themselves. I don't like the concept of electing someone based on if they can beat the democrat who is elected. What ever happened to voting for the best candidate based on issues? If people want the Iraq war to end, taxes to go down, employment to increase, the value of the dollar to rise, and less interference from the government then Ron Paul should be getting your votes. NONE of the republicans will beat ANY of the "top tier" Democrats except for Ron Paul. Simply because Ron Paul is the ONLY republican against the war from the start! I really hope that people start to come to their senses as we get closer to the primaries.

July 26, 2007 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  12. Micah Burnett, Valrico, FL

Is Fred what we want? Do we want to cancel the Declaration of Independence and Shred the Constitution? The once-independent nations of Europe are learning their lesson after it's too late. The EU now has its own constitution with 20,000 laws and 100,000 pages of legal text. It has its own currency, its own central bank, a military reaction force and a fledgling foreign policy. It has executive, legislative and judicial branches. It has its own EU flag, an EU anthem, Beethoven’s Ode to Joy, EU motto “Unity in Diversity”, EU passport, EU car license plates, EU Olympics, EU Youth Orchestra, and an annual EU day, May 9th. If this constitution is in fact adopted, by the nations of Europe who have already given up so much of their sovereignty, then they will in fact completely have abandoned it, and you will see the most dramatic consolidation of power in the history of the world.

Our Republic – Mega States

July 26, 2007 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  13. Bob, Hudson, Colorado

The protester was a loudmouthed broad who probably never accomplished anything in her life. Protesting is counterproductive, and childish. She needs to grow up and get a life.

Fred is a fine conservative and his Senate record proves it. He's solidly pro-Life, pro-American, and he has my vote. This "woman protester" can go home, read a book, and learn something about the world before she dares to take such large views.

July 26, 2007 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  14. Bob, Hudson, CO

By the way, I see Ron Paul supporters spamming messages boards everywhere. Get a life, people. Ron Paul can't get out of single digits and he's a nobody. He and Dennis Kucinich can go bowling and discuss what it's like to be irrelevant.

July 26, 2007 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  15. Jeff, Andrews, NC

"Does this mean Bush is not a true conservative?"

You've got to be kidding me! Bush is no more of a conservative than the neighbor's dog. Under his watch, the fed govt and wasteful spending has increased more than it ever did under the liberal Bill Clinton, as well as entitlement program spending. He is an absolute hypocrite on homeland security – almost 6 years after 9/11 and not only are our borders and ports unsecured, he has blocked attempts to secure them. This guy presenting himself as a conservative is the biggest joke ever. Fred Thompson is a Bush "conservative". If you want 4 more years of Bush, vote for Fred Thompson. I am a true conservative, btw. I feel that Tom Tancredo is one of the more truly conservative candidates. Even Ron Paul in many ways is much more of a true conservative than the other candidates. Although in a post-9/11 world, I cannot agree with his isolationist policy on foreign affairs. Too much is at stake.

July 26, 2007 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  16. Jeff, Knoxville, TN

Fred Thompson was my senator and let me tell you he was a great senator and I will vote for him for president!
    These Neo-Conservatives better get behind him or they will have Hillary in office. They are not going to find their perfect canidate unless Jesus himself runs. I too am a Christian but understand Fred Thompson is better than Hillary or Obama.

July 26, 2007 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  17. Anonymous

Considering there are so many different degrees of what a conservative really is, this lady was a bit vague in what she was intending.

July 26, 2007 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  18. Jada, Seabrook Texas

What politician, whether left or right doesn't want money or power? What politician doesn't lie or stretch the truth? What politician says things that he/she knows you DON'T want to hear. ALL of the candidates have spots on their records, regardless of what they have or don't have we all form our own opinions and we go with what we either THINK we know, or only what we want to hear.
    MOST conservatives have jobs and don't have time to raz the candidates. MOST conservatives LISTEN and keep their mouths shut and form their OWN opinions and keep those OPINIONS to themselves until VOTING DAY. But, then again, I guess ignorance is bliss for some.

July 26, 2007 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  19. Bill, Hattiesburg, MS

Isn't it amazing how the Clinton News Network will make a big deal about a lone protester against a Republican but not print anything about the hordes of protesters against their chosen one – Sir Hillary. Somehow I also believe CNN will deem this comment unappropriate and not post it.

July 26, 2007 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  20. J. Scott, Cincinnati OH

Why is she labeled a "protester"? I didn't hear her "protesting". Up until the point of being man-handeled by "officers", she was asking legitimate questions concerning Fred Thompson's "conservative" credentials and his shady associations. I would "protest" also if I was being dragged out by the arm.

July 26, 2007 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  21. MARK, PANAMA CITY, FL

ONLY QUESTION NEEDED...IS HE FAIRTAX?

July 26, 2007 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  22. Mike, Fairfax VA

Nut Bar ALERT!

"And just in case you are not fully aware as of yet, we are taking our country back. I am the daughter of a small business owner and a football coach, your facade of “tough Texas” talk does not ride well with me scumbag. You’re going to receive a lot more than just my fussing if you show your corrupt face back in my city.
    "

July 26, 2007 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  23. Maggie, West Milford, NJ

Just another typical kook who wants her 15 seconds of fame. She completely discredited herself once she started rambling about 9/11 being an inside job and then tried to muster up some sort of police brutality scene for the cameras. Same old tired tactics from yet another generation of whackos. Nothing accomplished here.

July 26, 2007 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  24. Terry, Charleston, SC

OK, CNN pulled my first pro-Fred comment, which was in the first 10. I guess their agenda is quite clear (as usual actually).

I made the point that Fred has been very smart with his strategy. He's been collecting money and buzz, while not overexposing himself and making missteps (Obama I'm looking at you). More importantly, his movies and TV shows are still airing. For that reason alone he's wise to wait as long as possible to commit.

Once he declares, I'll be donating. Unless there's a major revelation of some kind, he's got my vote on election day.

July 26, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  25. CalvinCain

Come on CNN show the whole flippin film!

July 26, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |