July 26th, 2007

Obama calls Clinton 'Bush-Cheney Light'

Obama campaigned in New Hampshire Thursday.

CONCORD, New Hampshire (CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama left little question as to his position on diplomacy with enemy states Thursday, days after his response to a question during Monday’s CNN/YouTube debate drew sharp criticism from opponent Hillary Clinton.

“I’m not afraid to lose the P.R. war to dictators,” Obama said in a speech in Concord, New Hampshire Thursday, where he picked up an early Granite State endorsement from first-term Democratic Congressman Paul Hodes. “I’m happy to look them in the eyes and say what needs to be said... I don't want Bush-Cheney Light.”

In a later conference call with the press, Obama continued on the topic: “Part of the Bush doctrine has been to say ‘no.’ You'll have to ask Senator Clinton what differentiates her position from theirs.”

The day following the CNN/YouTube debate, Senator Clinton called Obama’s willingness to meet, without precondition, with the leaders of Iran, Syria, North Korea, Venezuela, and Cuba “irresponsible” and “naïve.” Clinton, responding to the same question Monday, said “a vigorous diplomatic effort” with such nations is necessary, but said “you don’t promise a meeting until you know the intentions. I don’t want to be used for propaganda purposes and don’t want to make a situation worse.”

- CNN’s Lauren Kornreich and Mark Norman

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Lance, Los Angeles, CA.

To me, Obama is a visionary leader. He has far more experience in the real world than Clinton or any of the other candidates. Everything I hear and read about him furthers this. He was a civil rights attorney, he worked to rise people above their stations. He is the kind of leader that comes along once a generation if we’re lucky. I’ve just read “the Audacity of Hope” and it was so stirring, so clear, so clearly written not by a ghost writer but in the voice of the man himself. Barry Obama is the real deal, he’s the sort of fighter that we need oh so desperately in these trying times. I would go door to door for this candidate, I would believe he would look at any issue either foriegn or domestic with clear eyes and make decisions that were both humane and smart for our country and the world. The other candidates all strike me as fodder for lobbists, career politicians. I remember how moved I was when I heard his speech during Kerry’s convention. He is indeed a uniter, someone who can bring this sadly divided dis union back into union again. People will put paintings and photos on their walls of this man in the same way they do JFK or MLK. Mark my words, America and the world will prosper under President Obama. To see that happen I’d gladly travel to Ohio, to South Carolina, to Iowa, or anywhere else I needed to go to ensure he gets a fair shot. That’s all the man needs, is one good fair shot. Given his due he’ll do us right. Do the research. Don’t be a lemming. Read about him, read his own words. They aren’t sound bites, they’re living, breathing, human thoughts full of compassion and common sense, stength and integrity. Really look at this candidate. Do your kids and their kids the biggest favor of our lives.

July 26, 2007 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  2. Don, Iowa

Hillarys Top 5 Reasons For President

– The New York times, Mitt Romney and CNN have endorsed me with their glowing coverage.

– Fox news finally loves me, proof, Rupert Murdoch held a fundraiser for me.

-The Clinton years were soo prosperous, when we left office, we gave up the house, the senate and the alot of governorships to republicans.

-I like making people feel good by telling them what they want to hear.I’m told its good for their health. Remember the twang i put on infront of black people.

-I’m the only one who can end the war in Iraq. I should know because i voted for it. And after finally taking 4 years to read the intelligence report,my experience tells me that what we need now is an exit strategy.

July 27, 2007 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  3. Banjo, Atlanta Ga.

It’s time for change. The politics of yester years are no more,gone with the wind it has, Mrs clinton wake up its 2008 and its Obama time…we love this GUY..he is just so BILL CLINTON like, dont you get it!!!
    OBAMA 08′

July 27, 2007 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  4. Heather, Ft. Myers, Florida

This topic is definitely a non-issue.

I've read many comments from people wanting change and believing that Obama will be the one to bring it home. Others feel that experience will turn the tide.

Ladies and Gentlemen, big ships turn slowly. No matter who becomes the next president, rainbows and roses are not going to spring from the ground overnight. There is a long hard road ahead of our candidates let’s not get hung up on political posturing.

July 27, 2007 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  5. Clarence, New York NY

Hillary is not "flexible". She only voted against the funding because the majority of the country and all the Democrats had turned against the war by that point, so she had to. And she STILL refuses to admit she made a mistake in voting for the war in Iraq.
    That argument on experience is absurd, I am so sick of hearing about that. Who cares how long Hillary has been married to Bill (let's face it, the so called "experience" she claims to have is as Bill's wife) – look over Obama's resume and he has just as much political and leadership experience in different roles. What does Hillary have, 4 more years in the Senate? Big deal.
    So even if Hillary was married to Bill for years and you consider that "experience", obviously she didn't learn anything from all that "experience" – she voted for the war.
    Obama knew from day one it was a mistake. He is a true leader that has consitently shown sound judgement.
    Now go back to work for the Clinton camp.

July 27, 2007 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |