July 27th, 2007

Clinton: I will fight for young, black and Hispanic men

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton received a standing ovation Friday after she addressed the National Urban League during its presidential forum in St. Louis, Missouri.

Clinton took the opportunity before the civil rights organization to highlight the plight of young men of color in America, and to explain what she would do to improve their situation.

“I reject a conversation about 1.4 million young men as a threat, as a headache, or as a lost cause,” said Clinton.

“It is time for America to begin a conversation about 1.4 million future workers, entrepreneurs, taxpayers, community leaders, business executives. A conversation about 1.4 million husbands and fathers and role models,” she said to applause.

Clinton’s remarks coincided with the release of what her campaign calls her “youth opportunity agenda” – a six-point plan to help America’s youth realize their full potential.

Barack Obama, John Edwards, and Dennis Kucinich also spoke at the event. No Republican presidential candidates participated in the forum.

-CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Wallace Young Montgomery, Alabama

I present to you the next president of the United States of America.

July 27, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  2. Jason, Seattle WA

Hillary in 08!!!!!!

Lets bring in more poor hispanic illegals to undercut our workers!

July 27, 2007 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Mark Chunn, Powder Springs, GA

It is nice to have an advocate such as Ms. Clinton fighting for the black and hispanic men. What about the rest of us men that need a helping hand?
    Why does color matter when it comes to helping people? Aren't we all in this together?
    Just to let you know Ms. Clinton, I am a white man, but that doesn't matter.

July 27, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. Erik

Obama was right! Clinton an his diplomacy debate is a wake up call for America. Do we reject others with different stances and points of views because we deem them evil or do we open the door to diplomacy and change? Being of African American decent I am equally troubled by all of Mrs. Clinton’s remarks. She debases a good male leader in our community as naive, irresponsible and silly. This is the respect she shows someone who is at the same level as her. I remember a time in this country when our government officials saw leaders like Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Thurmond Marshall, Harriet Tubman as naive, irresponsible and silly for their points of views. If we as African Americans do not stand up for everyone in the world as equals then we are no better than the bigots and oppressors that exist in this country. Equality should be for everyone. If not for change and sitting with others who disagree with you would the movements for Gay rights, Immigrants rights and WOMEN’S rights been achieved. Remember, American officials thought those concerns and struggle to be naive, irresponsible and silly too. If the African American vote is crucial to this election we need to evaluate and think hard about who we want to represent us and the type of morals and values they hold. By no means is this playing the race card but all of the people this country deems “evil” don’t look believe or look like those in power. I as an African American we need to remember there was a time when my people were looked upon the same! My vote is for Obama not because he is black but because he stands for hope, which makes me proud to say… I am An American!

July 27, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. ANITA,LEESVILLE,LA.

HILLARY CLINTON,YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT THE WHOLE COUNTRY NOT JUST THE YOUNG,BLACK AND HISPANIC MEN.

July 27, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  6. Jerry, Wausau, Wis.

If Hillary really wants to fight for minorities, she should advocate cracking down on illegal immigrants, who drive down wages and limit job opportunities for all Americans, regardless of color.

July 27, 2007 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  7. kevin NH

Hillarys Top 5 Reasons For President

- The New York times, Mitt Romney and the Clinton News Network(CNN) have endorsed me with their glowing coverage.

- FOX news finally loves me, proof, Rupert Murdoch held a fundraiser for me.I never knew me and FOX had so many things in common. Like hating Liberalism(uuuugh its a disease)How dare Anderson Cooper ask me if i consider myself a liberal.

-The Clinton years were soo prosperous with scandals, when we left office, we gave up the house, the senate and the alot of governorships to republicans. Me and Bill love to share.

-I like making people feel good about themselves by telling them what they want to hear.I’m told its good for their health. Proof each time am infront of minority audiences i say something they wanna hear, Bill taught me the tricks.

-I’m the only one who can end the war in Iraq. I should know because i voted for it. And after finally taking 4 years to read the intelligence report and the war not turning out like i wanted ,my experience tells me that what we need now is an exit strategy.

July 27, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. Mark, GA

There goes another soundbite for a new audience. They say you can tell someones future intentions by their past actions. Well she was in the whitehouse for 8 years, not a single time did i hear her mention AIDS in African american women or the plight of young men. I hope people can see through the pandering.

July 27, 2007 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Jeanne SLC ,UT

Again we have Hillary speaking to her audiance,this time it is blacks and hispanics. But her action should always speak louder than her words. What will she really do if given the chance? Will we see her remove whatever is left in the White house like she did when Billy boy left office

July 27, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Lance, Los Angeles, CA.

Obama is absolutely correct. To pick apart his statement is trival semantics. Of course he’ll lay the ground work. I love, love, love the fact he’s coming out guns blazing, arms swinging against Hilary on this issue. It speaks to his command of the issues and his strong will not to allow the media or Hilary to twist his words. Clinton was doing what she always does, speaking in halves, speaking in maybes, in the same way Bush does. Obama is taking a stand, is sticking to his guns, is telling things truthfully and simply from his gut. We need this so badly. We’ve had a belly full of politics as usual. Obama is the next president.

July 27, 2007 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Hillary's track record speaks for itself. More empty promises, more cheap emphasizing with a minority voter block that will go no where.

July 27, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  12. Kojo

As a young black mail im tired of people using race to get votes.Hilary is just one politician who will say anything to win an election.She is too calculating and unreal.I look foward to the day black conservative voters will move away from these white unrealistic liberals

July 27, 2007 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. Travis

Of course no republican attended the event. It is a racist event!

July 27, 2007 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  14. Mssylady, Kalamazoo, MI

DON'T BELIEVE IT!! What have you done lately? What did your husband do? Nothing!! Black folks decided to make Bill Clinton an "honorary" black, but all Black folks didn't and I still haven't accepted the stiffness and phony smile of Hillary. You folks better watch out because the wolf is huffing and puffing and will blow your house down. Better build that house with bricks and don't believe the Clinton chit chat.

July 27, 2007 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. cole,niagarafalls ontario canada

i am not an american but i believe in america as Gods own country but there is one thing that bothers me his american presidential office for only family members first it was bush senior followed by clinton and then we have w.bush seating president if americans both wake up soon clinton wife will be president then we should expect another bush in 4years or 8 years. I am for change i go for obama even though i am not american

July 27, 2007 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  16. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

"Clinton: I will fight for young, black and hispanic men"

"Barack Obama, John Edwards, and Dennis Kucinish also spoke"

NOOOOO... CNN isn't biased!!

July 27, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  17. Tom Dedham, Mass

One can only hope Kojo.

I know many black conservatives who do not talk politics with their black friends as it turns into a heated argument.

They actually joke about it, but I assure them I have two liberal younger brothers who I don't discuss politics with them either.

We need politicians to pander to one group – AMERICANS, as I believe we pretty much (with a few exceptions) ALL want the same happiness in life.

July 27, 2007 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  18. Marsha, Portland, OR

White people and other ethnicities other than those mentioned in this article CHILL! Hillary is thinking about you too. It's just that this article happends to be about Black and Hispanic men and the forum was Black and Hispanic men. Stop being so reactionary!!!! CHILL!!!!! If you don't believe me go look at her website...she cares about poor people, disabled people, working class people, people affected by hurricante Katrina, the list goes on and on and on! Okay? Gosh!

July 27, 2007 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  19. John, Florida

Is Mrs. Clinton really going to fight for young Hispanic men? I doubt it. She would deny me of all my Hispanicism because I am Caucasian. Hilary shows her ignorance when using Hispanic to represent a race.

July 27, 2007 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  20. Al

I personally do not believe a word she says....in my opinion, it means 1.4 million votes, possibly, for her....I hope all Presidential candidates have the best intentions for the US and not for their place in history and/or the most powerful position in the world!

July 27, 2007 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  21. lavelle

Clinton told the crowd that she rejects "a conversation about 1.4 million young men as a threat, as a headache, or as a lost cause. I reject the conversation about 1.4 million disappointments, failures, and casualties of a broken system. That is not who these young men are. I believe it is long past time for a new and different conversation. It is time for America to begin a conversation about 1.4 million future workers, entrepreneurs, taxpayers, community leaders, business executives."

yeah and how are you going to do that? and why didnt you do that when your "husband" was in office. You know its so funny as to how when she talks it sounds like Bill will be the actual president. What are you going to do....with all this experience "she" should have done this when her "husband" was in office. Blacks question Obama??? Come on get your head out your behinds and pay more attention to Obama! He's said this from day one and now all of a sudden Hillary is jumping on the band wagon? As a Civil Rights graduate and Constitutional law professor I think Obama has way more knowlege on African American history then ol Hillary! Its all a front and its sad that so many blacks dont see her for what she is. Shes whack and i will be even more disapointed in my people if they fall for the same Clinton trick again! OBAMA 08' oh and check out CNN lol they never seem to get it right. She didnt say anything about a plan just a bunch of promises I hope she gets exposed i really do. The more she talks the more i dislike her!

July 27, 2007 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  22. lavelle

CNN 'Clinton News Network' That is sooo true hey its propaganda all over the bushes and Clinton administration oh my god it gets worse and worse. No changes will be made if she's the president....look at that fake smile! You know what is funny she came to rochester,ny a little while ago to get the corny mayor here to endorse her. She came for like 10 minutes and she visited the police headquarters and was told about a 15 year old that was shot at a house party. Any way the only thing this woman had to say was "why was she out that late" well thats pretty obvious she's so out of touch with blacks its not even funny. To make it so bad her solution to the problem was "we need more police on the streets" ohhhhh yeah right hillary your soooo smart i wish i would have thought of that. She has no solutions to our problems. obama wants to stop crime with educating the young and spending more time on the felons that are in so they can be reformed in some way so they will come out and be a prodcutive citizen. Hillary on the other hand just wants to lock everyone up....Yeah thats what you called fighting for the 1.4 million.

July 27, 2007 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  23. Vickie, Sacramento CA

All I can say is, the more I read the words of Clinton and Obama, the more I believe John Edwards is the best candidate for president.

July 28, 2007 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  24. William B. Jefferson...........Florence, Alabama 35634

This has been the problem with the Democrates for the past 40 yrs, always trying to go for the BLACK VOTE, and now we are after the HISPANIC VOTE TOO.
    Why not just go after the vote that counts the most, the vote of the AMERICAN VOTER, and leave out this minority thing, they (Minorities)already know that the Republican Party is for only the RICH, This idiot in Power Now (BUSH)has proven this more then any other President of our time.

July 28, 2007 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  25. Jman G.C., VA

How about fighting for young white men? The only people who are victims in this society are the lower middle class. The poor will never have to worry about paying for their medical insurance as social progams(medicad) will cover their needs. The rich just don't have to worry, thus, because they are rich.

July 28, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |