August 1st, 2007

Rumsfeld: I don't recall news of Tillman death

Rumsfeld appeared before a House committee Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld told a House committee Wednesday that he doesn't recall when he learned that there was a chance that the death of Army Ranger Cpl. Pat Tillman was the result of friendly fire.

"I don't recall when I was told. I don't remember who told me," Rumsfeld said under questioning by Rep. Tom Davis, the committee's ranking Republican. However, he said that because investigations were ongoing, he didn't make anything public.

"I have a great deal of heartbreak for the Tillman family and the way it was handled, adding to their grief. ... We certainly owe the young men and women better than that."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Tom, Cincinnati Ohio

Don't recall.......

This man is a liar, idiot (like his ex-boss) and should be tried on charges of incompetence....like his ex-boss.

August 1, 2007 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  2. jeff, Houston, texas

I will never beleive a man with this much blood on his hands and money in his pocket. Same for Bush and Cheney. Liars all.

August 1, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. John, Ca.

He doesn't recall when or who told him? Are you kidding me. A high profile case such as this and it went under his radar?

What is worse incompetence, or lying?

August 1, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. bprosserme

Democrats need to back up and sit down on this one. Slander of innocent people carries a heavy bill. Rumsfeld is an honorable man and a powerful man. Democrats have shown themselves to be stupid enough to spit into a fans lately.

August 1, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  5. Robert C Knoxville Tn

I dont recall? By chance does this sound all too familiar??? Hmmm. I smell B.S. You wonder why people don't have any faith in our gov't. I wonder why that is? Oh now I dont recall why? How convenient. My sympathy to the Tillman family. You all deserved the truth from the beginning. Leave it up to our elected officials to cover-up yet another tragic event.
    VOTE RON PAUL 2008!!! DEFENDER OF WHAT IS LEFT OF OUR CONSTITUTION.

August 1, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  6. John S. Chicago, Illinois

“I have a great deal of heartbreak for the Tillman family and the way it was handled, adding to their grief. … We certainly owe the young men and women better than that.”

AS HE WIPES HIS TEARY EYES WITH HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS HE MADE FROM THIS WAR. WHAT A JOKE. HE IS A CRIMINAL. PUT HIM AWAY FOREVER

August 1, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. John S. Chicago, Illinois

hey bprosserme....

Was it honorable when he misrepresented the threat to american lives Iraq presented so that bush, aka his owner, could force america into an unjust war, or a massive money-making venture for bush and all of his kind. kindly remove your cabesa from your posterior. this man is a criminal.

August 1, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  8. mindlessdem

It a cover up! Hang the conservative!!

August 1, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. ReadBtwthlins

Was it honorable when he misrepresented the..., blah, blah, liberal lies, blah, blah
    -Posted By John S. Chicago

Yes John, helping others achieve their freedom is very honorable.

August 1, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  10. Rob, San Diego CA

bprosserme – did you really call Rummy "honorable" I almost died laughing when I read that. Thanks for the chuckle...

August 1, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  11. Jo, Atlanta GA

DOES ANYONE IN THE BUSH ADMIN RECALL ANYTHING???

ANYONE?

August 1, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. RightyTighty

I do recall getting the full support of Congress for the Iraq war.

Also recalling something about an intern and a cigar..

August 1, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  13. Darrell, Foxboro, MA

Readbtwthelins:
    I assume by "achieve their freedom" you mean "get blown up repeatedly by suicide bombers" and/or "create a situation perfect for corruption." Afghanistan is an absolute mess right now and the Taliban is making inroads mostly because the US is so focused on destroying the drug trade (a good idea, but the wrong priority right now) that they leave no way out for Afghan farmers. And we don't even need to talk about Iraq...Rumsfeld has to be the worst Secretary of Defense (or Secretary of War) that this nation has ever seen. Coupled with the worst VP since Aaron Burr and it is no wonder no one trusts this administration.

August 1, 2007 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  14. Anonymous, CA

I don't recall...

Isn't that something Reagan said in the 1980's?

Sounds like he is hiding something and full of it.

August 1, 2007 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  15. Rollo Rogers, San Diego, CA

Gee this guy Rummy must have attended the same DC school for Feds. as the Attorney General Al Gonzales did, and they both majored in something called "I don't Recall" and both of them finished at the top of their class. > )

August 1, 2007 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. Lomiko, Utah

because CNN is nothing but brownshirts in dusguise I am afraid this wont reach many eyes, but frankly , their Heroine and founder Hillary couldn't remember anything either and she got a slap on the wrist.

August 1, 2007 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  17. fedupwithourgov't

To you 28% that defend this administration and this bald face liar:

Put your money where your mouth is, get out from behind your computer, and march your smart rear ends down to the recruit center and sign up NOW!

And I hope they forget you too!

August 1, 2007 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  18. Patrick, Las Vegas Nevada

This guy must think americans are morons to believe the filth flowing from his mouth. Donald ....we don't believe you or your ex boss who fabricated non-sense of his "war on terror" more like his WAR OF TERROR

August 1, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  19. John from America

"I Don't recall my Azz" Rummy ruled every meeting he called, he was informed and prepared to lead every meeting under his jurisdictional – the I don't recall is a blatant LIE! This man needs to spend some time in lockup remembering his criminal past!

August 1, 2007 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  20. Jon Tempe, AZ

I can understand a spirited debate between conservatives and liberals concerning the merits of the war... that is fine. But how can anyone in their right mind call Donald Rumsfeld an honorable man, or condone his blatant dishonesty while testifying in front of Congress? Even the proudest, lifelong conservatives should be ahamed and disgusted by the words and actions of this man who so casually disregards the truth.

August 1, 2007 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  21. Anonymous

Kies of what people really know Rumsy, will you be able to live with it?
    You made big speaches when the star football player died, now you dont recall anything.
    Just goes to show what kind of Cabinet really is in office now! Please put these terrible people in jail in Iraq!, thats where this all started!! Thats my gut feelings as a True American
    Kevin, Rochester, Mn.

August 2, 2007 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  22. Ringo, Tucson, AZ

I don't recall who tells more lies Rumsfeld or Bush.

August 2, 2007 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  23. Mary, Beaver, PA

RightyTighty, OK, I'm a right-winger too. But I am just a little disgusted with you neo-cons and your obsession with the Clintons.("intern?" "cigar?") What the heck is the matter with you people? You must sit up nights thinking about them. What is that line in "Hamlet?" Let me paraphrase: "Methinks thou dost protest too much."

August 2, 2007 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  24. Echelon

"Yes John, helping others achieve their freedom is very honorable."
    Posted By ReadBtwthlins

Hmm, while that may be true, that's about as relevant to this discussion as noting that it's honorable to feed a homeless person or give up your bus seat to the elderly! Freeing Iraqis was only given as justification for the war years after it started, after it was CLEAR that the WMDs and AL-Queda link justifications were complete B.S. Use your head, or at least donate it to science.

August 2, 2007 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  25. Jeff, Houston, Texas

bprosserme:

Hard as I try, I cannot fathom what lack of education, inability to see what is in front of you, or insecurity allows you to take these stands.

I recall something sadi by Saint Ronnie's son. It was something like this: The Republican Party preys on the most pathetic members of our society, giving them false hopes that yesterday is coming, as well as something or someone to hate.

the sun is going to come up in the morning, and no amount of screaming or praying is going to stop it. Change happens. Read history.

instead of rallying for the good old days (and they were not good for everyone, and likely not as good as you rememebr them), rally for change.

Yes, we rally for different things, but wouldn't it be better to have a say in the change rather than scream at the inevitable?

History backs me up. change is going to occur, whether you like it or not.

We are not liberals, we are progressives, and we search for the right change. Sometimes we make mistakes, but we don't ever live in the past.

Why? Because we learn.