August 7th, 2007

Don't call her 'Obama girl'

Watch CNN's Mary Snow report on Caroline Giuliani's support of Sen. Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani may not be able to count on support from his own daughter, Slate.com reported Monday.

On his daughter Caroline's Facebook profile, the self-described liberal was a part of a group that supports Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's presidential bid. After Slate.com emailed her about it, she immediately left the group, the web site reported.

But a spokeswoman for Caroline said her action didn't mean that she is supporting Obama, or any other candidate in particular. "Before the presidential campaign got underway, Caroline added herself to a list on Facebook as an expression of interest in certain principles," Joannie C. Danielides said in a statement. "It was not intended as an indication of support in a presidential campaign and she has removed it. Caroline is not commenting on the 2008 election."

While many of the other candidates' entire families have been visible on the campaign trail, Giuliani's children have yet to make an appearance. His son, Andrew, said he will not help the campaign because he wants to concentrate on becoming a professional golfer, The New York Times reported in March.

Since his very public divorce from his second wife and his marriage to Judith Nathan, Giuliani's relationship with his children has been strained. Giuliani stopped going to his children's events, missing Andrew's high school graduation and Caroline's plays, the Times also reported.

Giuliani talked about his daughter at a campaign stop in Clear Lake, Iowa on Monday.

"My daughter I love very much," Giuliani said. "I have great respect for her, and I’m really proud of her. And I don’t comment on children because I want to give them the maximum degree of privacy. I think children in situations like this deserve to have the maximum degree of privacy. And the best way to preserve that is, except to point out that you love them and care about them and you’re very, very proud of them, just don’t comment about it."

UPDATE: Andrew Giuliani tells ABC News he supports his father's presidential bid and thinks he would be a "great president."

On his sister's support of Obama, Andrew Giuliani said "I love my sister very much and I respect her opinions. "One of the great things about our parents is they've always encouraged us to see the world for ourselves."

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Related: "Obama girl" and "Giuliani girl" duke it out

1. prophetofwinds

While I have to say I agree with her, I hope she chose to suppot Obama because she is informed and agrees with his values and ideas, not simply to go against her father.

August 6, 2007 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. AnIndependent, The Village, FL

Those supporting Rudy must not have been residents of NYC during his reign (and before 9/11)! We all watched in horror as he tried to move Judi-Judith into Gracie Mansion while his wife and children were still living there. We were in disbelief when he announced his impending divorce in a news conference – not giving his wife and mother of his children the respect of telling her in private.

We also watched him force his aides and other employees out whenever they got pats on the back in public and got the compliments instead of him. He was a very divisive mayor who lost the support of the police dept and fire dept. We have just been thru 7 years of divisiveness with a person who was billed by Karen Hughes and others as a Great Uniter! Let's not do this again.

I respect his children's feelings about their father. He has been very hedonistic thru his life and has not earned their love, respect, and support. They are entitled to his support though per the court. His wife, Donna Hanover, handled herself with grace throughout the whole ordeal of the Judi-Judith debacle.

August 6, 2007 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  3. Betsy, MD

What does this say about Giuliani the man?

August 6, 2007 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  4. Michael - Stamford, CT

I can understand why Rudy's daughter doesn't want to support him because he is not fit to be President. Obama is the wrong choice too, he has such little experience. If anything Rudy's daughter should consider someone strong and with experience. That person would be Hillary Clinton.

August 6, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. Barabas, Hot City, TX

I love it. All these people who are hating on Giuliani and saying he can't be a good president because he slept around on his wife are the same ones who say Clinton was a good President even though he cheated on his wife many times......Oh yea, and then lied to the Country about it on National T.V.

August 6, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. Scott W., Austin, TX

In contrast: Ron Paul has been married to the same woman for 50 years and has 5 adult children, all of whom ARE actively supporting him. You know that if Rudy's kids don't support their dad, there must be a good reason. They know him better than we do.

August 6, 2007 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  7. Ben, Concord NH

Is this the only angle the media has on Giuliani? I see they are trying to show he is NOT a family man. Not sure who I'm voting for in 2008 but digging deep into a candidates family life is just plain lame.

August 6, 2007 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  8. Rob, Gainesville, FL

To John Thomas of Edina, MN: "phony, con-man, and liar..."? Hey, enough bashing former President Clinton already! Oh wait, I forgot. Democrats were never willing to admit the former President was those things.

August 6, 2007 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  9. John Thomas, Edina, MN

And would you look at that, the sheep are ever-so steadfast in their unwaivering support for Giuliani–such Patriots, I tell ya!

If Giuliani show this much disrespect, hatred and disregard for his own family, I can't even imagine how much he will neglect the rest of America. It's truly disgusting.

But you keep up that support, Giuliani-supporters! Go 9/11!

August 6, 2007 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  10. CJ - New York, NY

So what have we learned from this article... 1. A father and siblings relationship is not perfect. 2. The daughter might have different political views then her father. 3. Slate.com spends time on Facebook looking for stories to put along side other headlines as "Why Does Popeye Love Spinach So Much?" and "YouTube's Goofy But Brilliant Wine Guy" 4. We now need the help of candidates children to determine what we think about how someone can run a country...

... who doesn't have a different opinion/belief than their parents?! I think it is a law of nature for heavens sake!

August 6, 2007 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. Scott Austin, TX

As if I needed ANOTHER reason why I neither like nor will ever vote for Giuliani. Thanks CNN!

August 6, 2007 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  12. Al, Rockville, Maryland

I admire Caroline for being courageous enough to disagree with her father as compared to Cheneys gay daughter whos afraid to disagree with her anti-gay father.

August 6, 2007 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. VanReuter NY NY

Dear Lynne;

Like your hero, you have no shame bashing Rudy's ex and 17 year old child, you fit right in with the man himself. To know him is to shun him as the uniformed services and most New Yorkers do.

Van

August 6, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  14. Geoff Matthews, Miami, FL

I am voting for a democrat. But, that does not mean I want to read stories like this – intended to discredit a candidate – based upon something completely inane; Guliani's daughter's Facebook page/group affiliation being used to draw out inconsistencies to her father's campaign, then used to rehash old tripe about Guliani's relationship with his children. Way to show your true colors CNN! This should be posted to maintain the legitimacy of the comment section.

August 6, 2007 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  15. Lyons Steve

/***
    CNN…. who really cares!! Why don’t you people get a life & report some real news!
    ***/

Oh, this is really news – and it's scaring you to death.

Guilliani, like most Repub candidates for president, is ANOTHER hypocrite who will run on "family values," except ol' Rudy has none.

Not news? You keep telling yourself that. The son and daughter both think he's a bad father.

August 6, 2007 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  16. Eric, Denver, CO

so..
    1) the slate story was legit, and
    2) the Rudy camp is spinning this

bad news for America's mayor.

August 6, 2007 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  17. suzy st. charle mo

There are good divorces and bad ones.If it had been good, he wouldn't have had to miss his sons graduation and I'm sure he'd have his kids support. The choice for a good or bad divorce was in rudy's hands all along, and he chose poorly. He'll have to deal with the consequence for some time.

August 6, 2007 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  18. Barak Obama 4 Pres., CU, OR

Gotta love Republican censorship. I'm sure they made her take it down because they make Rudy like an idiot that he can't carry the vote of his own daughter. She supports Obama, like many others, let her say out loud.

August 6, 2007 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  19. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Makes me want to vote for Rudy even more!

August 6, 2007 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  20. florida

I will never vote for a divorce man or woman, and one who treated his wife and children like Rudy Giuliani, did'nt for 911 he would be a has been..

August 6, 2007 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  21. Howard Finkelstein, Ocean City, CA

It says alot about Guiliani if his own daughter, his own flesh and blood won't support him.

August 6, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  22. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

I think Rudy is the loser, no son, no daughter and no family's support. Support means family combination, love and caring, he doesn't have any of above, he is certainly not our leader. Society, government and Country is founded by the family, Rudy failed to lead his own family, there's no way to lead Americans and our Country.

August 6, 2007 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  23. Lance, Los Angeles, CA

I rejoice at Obama because I feel like he could bring the fractured nation and the fractured world together in some very important ways.

To me, Obama is a visionary leader. He has far more experience in the real world than Clinton or any of the other candidates. Everything I hear and read about him furthers this.

He was a civil rights attorney, he worked to rise people above their stations in the real world, not the ivory towers of Washington. To me, Washington experience is the most gross, unimportant kind.

Barry Obama is the kind of leader that comes along once a generation if we’re lucky, and I thank our lucky stars he decided to run.

I’ve just read “the Audacity of Hope” and it was so stirring, so clear, so clearly written not by a ghost writer but in the voice of the man himself. Now I'm starting on "Dreams of My Father", which so far has also been so pure and telling that I can't put it down.

Make no mistake people of Iowa, Barry Obama is the real deal, he’s the sort of fighter that we need oh so desperately in the single most important election of our lives.

I would go door to door for this candidate, I would believe he would look at any issue either foriegn or domestic with clear eyes and make decisions that were both humane and smart for our country and the world.

The other candidates all strike me as fodder for lobbists, career politicians.

I remember how moved I was when I heard Obama's speech during Kerry’s convention. They were words I'd been hoping to hear for years.

I thought he should run then. When he announced he'd run I was driving, it was on the radio. I was so relieved, so inspired that he was running I literally had to pull over and I spent a few minutes there collecting myself, trying not to cry, because for my daughter's sake, I realize the importance of an inspiring leader at this time. I am scared of so many possible futures, but a future with Barrack Obama as president doesn't scare me, it provokes and inspires me, to action.

He is indeed a uniter, someone who can bring this sadly divided dis un ion back into union again.

Absolutely no doubt, people will put paintings and photos on their walls of this man in the same way they do JFK or MLK.

Mark my words, Iowa, America and the world will prosper under President Obama. To see that happen I’d gladly travel anywhere else I needed to go to ensure he gets a fair shot.

That’s all the man needs, is one good fair shot. Given his due he’ll do us right. Do the research. Listen. Don’t be a lemming. Read about him, read his own words. For crying out loud get a copy of "Audacity of Hope" from the library. His words aren’t sound bites, they’re living, breathing, human thoughts full of compassion and common sense, stength and integrity.

Really look at this candidate.

Do your kids and their kids the biggest favor of our lives.

August 6, 2007 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  24. meister, scottdale az

Guiliani cares about money not people, not even his own family. He is a desperate selfish old man indeed.

August 6, 2007 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  25. James, Newport, KY

When more conservative Republicans learn more about the character and values of Rudy, they will run away screaming! This guy, like McCain, is a sinking ship. If your own kids won't support you, that says something.

August 6, 2007 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |