August 7th, 2007

Don't call her 'Obama girl'

Watch CNN's Mary Snow report on Caroline Giuliani's support of Sen. Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani may not be able to count on support from his own daughter, Slate.com reported Monday.

On his daughter Caroline's Facebook profile, the self-described liberal was a part of a group that supports Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's presidential bid. After Slate.com emailed her about it, she immediately left the group, the web site reported.

But a spokeswoman for Caroline said her action didn't mean that she is supporting Obama, or any other candidate in particular. "Before the presidential campaign got underway, Caroline added herself to a list on Facebook as an expression of interest in certain principles," Joannie C. Danielides said in a statement. "It was not intended as an indication of support in a presidential campaign and she has removed it. Caroline is not commenting on the 2008 election."

While many of the other candidates' entire families have been visible on the campaign trail, Giuliani's children have yet to make an appearance. His son, Andrew, said he will not help the campaign because he wants to concentrate on becoming a professional golfer, The New York Times reported in March.

Since his very public divorce from his second wife and his marriage to Judith Nathan, Giuliani's relationship with his children has been strained. Giuliani stopped going to his children's events, missing Andrew's high school graduation and Caroline's plays, the Times also reported.

Giuliani talked about his daughter at a campaign stop in Clear Lake, Iowa on Monday.

"My daughter I love very much," Giuliani said. "I have great respect for her, and I’m really proud of her. And I don’t comment on children because I want to give them the maximum degree of privacy. I think children in situations like this deserve to have the maximum degree of privacy. And the best way to preserve that is, except to point out that you love them and care about them and you’re very, very proud of them, just don’t comment about it."

UPDATE: Andrew Giuliani tells ABC News he supports his father's presidential bid and thinks he would be a "great president."

On his sister's support of Obama, Andrew Giuliani said "I love my sister very much and I respect her opinions. "One of the great things about our parents is they've always encouraged us to see the world for ourselves."

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Related: "Obama girl" and "Giuliani girl" duke it out

1. Derrick, Chicago IL

I love all these hypocritical Republicans running on "family values" who are on their 3rd wife and don't even attend their child's high school graduation. Who doesn't attend such an important FAMILY event?

Why don't all these politicians just leave the phrase "family values" alone? Oh yeah – then they couldn't demonize my family just because it is comprised of a same-sex couple.

August 6, 2007 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  2. TOM, ME

HOW DARE CAROLINE TRY TO SCREW UP HER FATHER'S CAMPAIGN! RUDY WILL STILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT JUST THE SAME! THE RED STATES WILL PREVAIL! WE KNOW WHATS BEST FOR THE COUNTRY! CAROLINE WILL BE IGNORED COMPLETELY! GO RUDY GO!

FREE MICHAEL VICK!

August 6, 2007 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. L, LA, CA

I rejoice at Obama because I feel like he could bring the fractured nation and the fractured world together in some very important ways.

To me, Obama is a visionary leader. He has far more experience in the real world than Clinton or any of the other candidates. Everything I hear and read about him furthers this.

He was a civil rights attorney, he worked to rise people above their stations in the real world, not the ivory towers of Washington. To me, Washington experience is the most gross, unimportant kind.

Barry Obama is the kind of leader that comes along once a generation if we’re lucky, and I thank our lucky stars he decided to run.

I’ve just read “the Audacity of Hope” and it was so stirring, so clear, so clearly written not by a ghost writer but in the voice of the man himself. Now I'm starting on "Dreams of My Father", which so far has also been so pure and telling that I can't put it down.

Make no mistake people, Barry Obama is the real deal, he’s the sort of fighter that we need oh so desperately in the single most important election of our lives.

I would go door to door for this candidate, I would believe he would look at any issue either foriegn or domestic with clear eyes and make decisions that were both humane and smart for our country and the world.

The other candidates all strike me as fodder for lobbists, career politicians.

I remember how moved I was when I heard Obama's speech during Kerry’s convention. They were words I'd been hoping to hear for years.

I thought he should run then. When he announced he'd run I was driving, it was on the radio. I was so relieved, so inspired that he was running I literally had to pull over and I spent a few minutes there collecting myself, trying not to cry, because for my daughter's sake, I realize the importance of an inspiring leader at this time. I am scared of so many possible futures, but a future with Barrack Obama as president doesn't scare me, it provokes and inspires me, to action.

August 7, 2007 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  4. CMS, CA

Who cares what a 17 yr old rich kid wants?

Lets unite for a middle of the road, credible 3rd party that cares about what we all want and not what the dims/reps want to divide us with. Unite America!

August 7, 2007 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  5. College Student, Philadelphia, PA

If these people actually used Facebook then they would know that this means nothing. I and many other college students get invitations to join groups from friends/others. Most people don't turn down requests to be nice(or they get so many they just say yes to all to make it easy). Its just a mistake on her part.

August 7, 2007 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  6. Charles, MA

If Ghouliani cannot bother to support his own children, what makes anyone think he would support ours?

A vote for Ghouliani is a vote for a divided nation, adultery, and negligence. This is news because it shows just how unlikable the man is.

To James from Phoenix: Considering how Ron Jr. was right to criticize the oppressive nature of the Reagan regime (that we are still under), maybe it is poignant to hear how Ghouliani's kid feels the same way, no? Yes.

August 7, 2007 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  7. jack, LA/NYC

What is the world coming to? Is this all the news? Can someone please write something meaningful, like about how our country's infra-structure is falling apart because we've become the oposite of isolationists? To be a leader one must have a foundation, and this country has let its government forget that...

August 7, 2007 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  8. DD, Dyersburg, Tenn

I love people who blame the children for the rancid enviroment there parents created.
    Corinthians 13:4-7: "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance."
    Does that sound like any Republican's you have met lately???

August 7, 2007 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  9. Bubba, Racine, Ohio

Please, how is the video of attractive women on youtube "related" to this story, again?

August 7, 2007 04:01 am at 4:01 am |
  10. George, Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for this juicy lead CNN.

August 7, 2007 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  11. George, Los Angeles, CA

Way to be a bunch of journalistic cowards who are so desperate for a headline you are willing to invalidate true substance. I used to be a staunch supporter, but the older I get the more I realize how each side is driven by stockholder value. I don't know at which point a fetus becomes a human life, but do you know at which point you lose your integrity?

August 7, 2007 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  12. Rachael, New York, NY

I'm really disappointed in CNN – I don't support Giuliani politically but this morning you put the girl who publicized this trivial finding on air. It was clear that the girl (Caldwell) was simply enjoying the opportunity to be on TV and her recount of her "deathdefying discovery of ...Caroline Giuliani's undercover facebook profile" was just unnecessary. Clearly, Caldwell is just and aggressive girl looking for someone to hurt. I hope Caroline Giuliani realizes that any intelligent human would see that in reality, the publication of this story is just embarrassing for Caldwell – and CNN, I'm disappointed, I gave you more credit for worthy news that this.

August 7, 2007 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  13. Kari, New York City, New York

I think the fact that Rudy doesn't "comment on (his) children" speaks for itself. His children neither comment on nor support him - in his presidential campaign or personally. I'm New Yorker and a Republican, who once was a staunch supporter of Giuliani. "Once" was before we started looking closely at Rudy Giuliani the man, the husband and the father. While he might get high marks as "America's mayor", on a personal level he doesn't seem to be a particularly nice guy - at all. This will catch up with him as the campaign progresses.

August 7, 2007 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  14. Chris, Middletown, CT

Just like most all liberals – they either came from lots of money and they are guilty for not having to work a day in their life...or they are looking for the lifetime entitlement programs sponsored by the Democrats – either way – they are not what this country needs...cut off any trust fund – and make her work for a living...see if she doesn't start thinking for herself – I believe Democrats are missing the common sense DNA strand – fyi – Republicans don't eat babies – Hillary made that up!!!

August 7, 2007 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  15. JCM Raleigh, NC

Where's ROSS PEROT when you need him?

August 7, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  16. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

Did you all miss this paragraph?

But a spokeswoman for Caroline said "her action didn’t mean that she is supporting Obama, or any other candidate in particular. “Before the presidential campaign got underway, Caroline added herself to a list on Facebook as an expression of interest in certain principles,” Joannie C. Danielides said in a statement. “It was not intended as an indication of support in a presidential campaign and she has removed it. Caroline is not commenting on the 2008 election.”

However, it is world news that Giuliani has an estranged relationship with his children. I certainly could understand how his children might have issues with their father.

Giuliani should not even approach a subject relating to adoption or children in any context given his track record as a father. His son publicy stated he was too busy with his golf to endorse Giuliani's Campaign in any manner.

August 7, 2007 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  17. Melisa, Springfield, Illinois

"Maximum degree of privacy", Really Guiliani, like to the degree where you don't attend your childs graduation?
    Whoa and whoa. Absurd.

August 7, 2007 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  18. rebelw/acause

Come on CNN.. You got to do better than this topic if you want decent interaction in this phere.

August 7, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  19. Pat Putignano, NY, NY

For those complaining it's no surprise Liberal CNN is reporting this, to you I say, too bad! It's news, and you won't find it on FOX because that station is operated by Guiliani's cohorts.

As for anyone supporting this guy, you need a lesson in NYC politics dating 1993 to 2001, when he was one of the most divisive and mean-spirited mayors in recent time. Haven't we had enough of that with Bush II? The only Guiliani non-NYC residents know is the 9-11 photo-op mayor who didn't do anything other than make pretty speaches to calm the populace. Did you know that after the 1993 WTC bombing, he built the NYC Office of Emergency Management in, you guessed it, the WTC on the 60something floor? How stupid! Did you know that he left NYC with a defecit? Did you know he's a micro-manager who doesn't know the definition of compromise? Did you know he's one of the biggest flip-flopper on social issues in order to gain Red-state support? Wake up! It's no surprise that his daugther won't support him, despite the acrimony left by her parent's bitter divorce.

August 7, 2007 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. Mike, Staatsburg, NY

Gotta love those Republican family values! How many wives do these yutzes have between them, 22 for the 7 Republican candidates? Their own families hate their guts.

Anything for power.

August 7, 2007 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  21. Linda - Albany, NY

Tsk, tsk, CNN – very tacky. Keep the kids out of it.

August 7, 2007 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  22. Ben, Ruston, La.

Right on JCM;we need Ross Perot or someone like him in the race. Then maybe the news media would have some real substance (candidates talking about the real issues) to report on. I
    glad to hear Rudy loves his kids, but that will not get my vote for him

August 7, 2007 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  23. JV, Boston, MA

You liberals are ruthless...have some class. Personal rips into Rudy are really uncalled for. You need to find Jesus. I mean some of you should really be ashamed of yourselves. I notice you are still big Clinton fans. But that was ok...made him easier to relate to...his infidelity...while in the White House...remember...made big news...lots of people upset...some people defended his privacy because it had nothing to do with his politics...several woman came forward...his wife is running for president...yes, your right...Rudy is the devil. Nice Logic.

August 7, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. Stephanie N

I feel bad for her. The media is out for the most minor slip from any of the candidates or their families. This is blow out of proportion.

August 7, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  25. Sarah, Kansas City, MO

Anyone who supports Guilliani would probably support a dictator. We have just been through 7 years of very divisive government. Enough already! Guilliani is extremely divisive. It may have helped straightened out NYC but he stepped on a lot of toes to do it. He made sure that he got the credit. When his time was up, he used 9/11 to become a millionaire. Now he uses 9/11 to strike terror so that people will vote for him.

Thanks, but no thanks we have had enough cowboys with false bravado, we need a brain with diplomatic skills this time.

As for his children, they are adults and can support whomever they want. But the relationship that he has with them is an important indicator of how he will deal with countries and other leaders. As for his wife, how about the tiara she has been photographed wearing? Is she rehearsing to be queen?

August 7, 2007 11:34 am at 11:34 am |