August 8th, 2007

Gingrich calls White House race 'insane'

Watch Gingrich speak at the National Press Club Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Potential presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich on Tuesday blasted the modern-day road to the White House as too long, too expensive and verging on "insane."

The former House speaker from Georgia said he will decide whether to enter the GOP presidential field in October. But in a wide-ranging speech at the National Press Club in Washington, he ridiculed campaign consultants and spin doctors who he said are extending the 2008 campaign. He said presidential debates have become "almost unendurable."

"These aren't debates," the former Georgia congressman said. "This is a cross between [TV shows] 'The Bachelor,' 'American Idol' and 'Who's Smarter than a Fifth-Grader.'"

Full story

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

I must agree with Perfesser Newt on the fiscal insanity and political inanity of the campaigns, but I still wish he'd go away quietly.

August 8, 2007 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  2. Faith, Las Vegas, NV

Do these fools know what year it is??? How in the world can they figure I want to hear TWO freakin' years of their blathering??? They are proving to me that they know how to squander enormous amounts of cash while promising to not squander mine; that they can NOT perform their elected duties whilst begging to stay on for a higher job; that they're making our election process look like a joke. Geeeez. I am sick already of this "campaign" and it's not even election year. I'm pulling for the dark horse - anything is better than these posturing idiots.

August 8, 2007 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  3. Grovin, Darnassus, IL

Whiner.

Don't like it? Don't run.

August 8, 2007 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  4. Anonymous, Calif.

Newt's a hypocritical baffooon.

I won't be voting Republican anyway...but I think it is absurb for him to call his own party's candidates "pygmies" and to have such a negative attitude.

Let's see Newt get up there on the stage and determine whether or not he is any more enlightened than ANY of the other candidates from either party.

The answer is NO. Newt is just slamming the other candidates while he sits on his behind watching on TV like the rest of us.

August 8, 2007 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  5. Linda, Chandler AZ

Wow...this is scary. I actually AGREE with Newt Gingrich.

August 8, 2007 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. Greg, Oceanside CA

I really hope he doesn't run, but I 100% agree with him on this issue. Romney also had it right when he derided the silliness of the YouTube debates and the stupid snowman.

August 8, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. Jim, Atlanta

Newt, on behalf of all Democrats and Independents please please please please run.

Mark Foley,Ted Stevens or Tom DeLay would make excellent running mates.

Go Newt!!!!!!

August 8, 2007 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  8. Kathryn Irby- Metairie, LA

Gingrich is a joke! He will never become President any more than Romney or any other of the Repubs, so should just drop that little thought. He'd "best" keep writing his stupid books - for whatever that would be worth!

August 8, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. Chandira, Seattle, WA

Never thought I'd EVER agree with Newt Gingrich on anything... ;-)

August 8, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. Danny, Corvallis, OR

I have to admit Dr. Gingrich's professionalism. Clearly, as a Ph.D., his comments are right on target. Shouldn't we start to consider that the Ph.D. level personnels are much more qualified for running the political system?

BTW, I'm a Ph.D. RA in Statisiics.

August 8, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. Matt, Sarasota FL

Like many others, I can't believe I'm agreeing with this amoral hypocrite on anything. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...

August 8, 2007 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. Marc, CT

Wow, I can't stand this guy and usually don't pay attention to anything he says but he actually came accross as a reasonable and intelligent person. I never thought I'd ever see the day when I wrote Reasonable and Intelligent next to Newt's name but I guess there's a first time for everything. I'll still never vote for this guy as he scares the privacy and freedom right out of me, but I might just listen to what he has to say this time around.

August 8, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. Cynthia, New Orleans, LA

Now, isn't THAT like the kettle calling the frying pan black?!? Newt is SICK.

August 8, 2007 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  14. Myron, Honolulu, HI

Newt finally admits that politicans are insane–the rest are in denial. LOL we need a 12 step program for politicians.

August 8, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. Craig, Marietta GA

Newt, you are right as usual. Please run. I'll volunter for your campaign!

August 8, 2007 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  16. Chip Celina OH

Most comments favor what Newt is saying, like him or not. I think he's on the money. The quest for power in this country is out of control. Mouthpieces constantly wanting you to vote for them so they can "change" things for the better. Yeah, their betterment.

It's a circus. I figured out how to solve the health care "crisis". On a separate story about AFL-CIO, it reported "In the 2004 elections, organized labor also gave $53.6 million to Democratic candidates and party committees, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. That number increased to $66 million for the 2006 elections and is expected to increase again for 2008." To this point, 293 million dollars have been raised by the folks running for president. Start adding that up. What if this were put toward solving problems that face the nation instead of greedy power grabs to try and control other people?

What a waste.

August 8, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  17. Betty, Southlake, TX

Puhleeze!! Newt Gingrich is a total dolt. He looks in the mirror every day and thinks he's so cool and so smart... and he's nothing but an egotistical nimwit.

August 9, 2007 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  18. KD, Dallas, TX

Never thought I’d EVER agree with Newt Gingrich on anything.

August 9, 2007 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  19. Colin, Milwaukee WI

Wow. Folks, save this article. 1st time this decade a politician has finally had that forehead smacking realization that he/she has finally realized something the general populace has known for awhile.

August 9, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  20. Carl, Dallas, Texas

I agree 100%... I've always believed that they can still do fund raisers, but each person running should get an equal share of funs to level the playing field.

I would actually like to hear what EVERYONE has to say, instead of clinton and obama getting 92.5% of the coverage...

But something else needs to be done about this... the primary's... everything...

Because these senators and governors running are simply not doing their jobs in office so they can go for glory...

I honestly do not believe that any of these candidates are about the American people.

They only care about the lobbyists and campaign contributions and helping them out.

August 10, 2007 10:16 am at 10:16 am |