August 8th, 2007

Romney tells Iowans to grab Mitt straws

Romney is airing a new ad in Iowa ahead of the Ames straw poll this weekend.

WASHINGTON (CNN) Mitt Romney takes to the Iowa airwaves Wednesday in a new ad where he urges Republicans to support him in the upcoming Republican straw poll being held in Ames.

"Washington politicians in both parties have proven they can't control spending, and they won't control our borders," the former Massachusetts governor says in the new ad. "I will, but I need your help to do it.

"So come on to Ames. After all, changing America always starts in Iowa."

Romney, who is seeking the GOP presidential nomination, is expected to win this historically significant contest on Saturday, but it has lost some of its luster because three of the top Republicans eyeing the GOP nomination have decided not to participate. Still, Romney's campaign could receive a boost if he is the clear winner in Saturday’s straw poll which is considered a test of field organizing.

Declared presidential candidates, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Arizona Sen. John McCain, will not take part in the event nor will former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, who continues to explore a White House bid.

In previous years, the Ames GOP straw poll helped thin out the field of Republicans seeking their party's nomination.

– CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

Filed under: Fred Thompson • Iowa • John McCain • Mitt Romney • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Travis

So, why aren't McCain and Giuliani competing?

August 8, 2007 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  2. bret, atl, ga

A guy who spends millions of dollars and loans his own campaign $8M has a good handle on controlling spending? Say what?

August 8, 2007 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  3. Heather, IL

Mitt can't possibly stay in the race for much longer without an uptick in donations. Besides what he has paid himself, he only raised somwhere in the area of $3 million i think.

Its funny watching how badly the GOP is squirming. It seems every two weeks someone else is touted as the Republican "Front Runner" – and someone else is thrown under the bus. McCain rose and fell. Guiliani will fall as the past catches up with him. Romney will cut and run and save his money for another day. Thompson will chicken out, or crash and burn when real funding never materializes. Newt will wait til the last minute, then excuse himself before being embarrassed over his record. Tancredo, Brownback, Hunter, and Cox will gone by the end of the month due to no funds. That leaves only ONE true Republican "Rock Star" – Ron Paul :)

August 8, 2007 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. Greg, Oceanside CA

Heather,
    Check your numbers again. You're off by tens of millions.

August 8, 2007 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  5. pat, huntington, ny

It doesn't matter which one of them will do well in the straw poll, or that some are not participating at all. The sad truth is that none of them have fresh ideas to get this nation back on the right track.

August 8, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  6. Heather, IL

Greg, i'm talking about what he has on hand after you consider his debts and subtract the money he is loaning himself. Any way you look at it – he is NOT spending his money wisely, and i don't think there is any way he will continue pumping tens of millions of his personal funds into a campaign that has little chance of success.

August 8, 2007 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. David, Salinas, CA

Don’t count Romney out. It is impossible to predict the behavior of a presidential candidate who praises Hezbollah, lets his dog ride on the roof of his car, and thinks Battlefield Earth is a good novel.

August 8, 2007 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  8. Colin, Milwaukee WI

Ah, "Mitt straws" and "The Mitt Mobile". Boy that Romney guy sure is puny.

August 9, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  9. Ray, Biloxi MS

. I am a life long Republican. I am also an Iraqi War veteran and disabled veteran. Is this america or a conspiracy state. Ron Paul is the only candidate , The rest are all the same. I can't tell the difference between Dems and Republicans any more. I beg you please help Ron Paul save our great Republic. To me my friends and family he is our only and best hope. For our children for our future, we must have a tomorrow . The country cannot go on as is. I beg you in Gods name to support this great american. When I say good I do net mean the mormon church. To trust a man that believes Jesus will return in Utah is insanity. Abolish the IRS and DEA. Ron Paul, Restorer of the Republic and last defender of the Consitution. Sincerely,

August 10, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  10. Penny, Miami, Florida

In response to "Enough with the black enough talk" by Roland Martin, I find this to be quite thought provoking. As a Caucasian, I have noticed how many Caucasians surround Sen. Obama when he is out meeting the public and have wondered why I don't see more African-Americans. When my boss, who is African-American, said she doesn't think America is ready for a black President, I asked her which America she meant. She went so far as to say that she doesn't want to vote for someone who can't possibly win. I suggested she take a good look at the people who surround the Senator in public if she thinks that white Americans won't vote for him. I will and so will many Caucasians I know. My biggest fear is that Hilary Clinton may be the Democrats standard bearer in '08. Give us (Caucasians)Barack Obama, and let him be as well supported by black Americans as he is by white Americans, and he will be the next President of the United States. The polls say Hilary is leading Obama. I seriously doubt that is true. Who is being asked? Not me, not anyone I know. How distressing to think that black Americans would vote for Clinton. Stop looking at skin color. Vote for the best choice. Barack Obama. Let's bring sanity back to the USA before it's too late.

August 11, 2007 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |