August 13th, 2007

Elizabeth Edwards a no-show at husband's bus kickoff

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) - After apologizing to a crowd for being an hour and fifteen minutes late to the launch of his "Fighting for One America" bus tour Monday morning, Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards said that his wife Elizabeth, who was set to be on stage with her husband and two youngest children, was absent because she ate something that "didn't agree with her."

"Thank you for being so patient," Edwards told the crowd at his Des Moines headquarters. "Elizabeth ate something at breakfast this morning that didn't agree with her. She's doing fine. She's doing fine. She'll be back with us in just a little bit."

When asked by a reporter if the former senator thought the sickness could be related to Mrs. Edwards' cancer treatments, Edwards said, "Oh no, no. I don't think it has anything to do with that."

Due to the delay, the Edwards campaign canceled a scheduled stop at the Iowa state fair.

– CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Iowa • John Edwards
  1. Zebra LaSalle, IL

Maybe John Edwards, for once in his life, should focus on his wife instead of himself. If my spouse had cancer, my main focus would be on helping my spouse through treament and recovery.....not dragging them around the country for my political benefit.

What an egocentric jerk!

August 13, 2007 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. Oliver NH

John Edwards'campaign for President is only a bumper sticker, so Ms Edwards didn't miss much by being late.

August 13, 2007 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. Maria, Corvallis, OR

I do not think Elizabeth Edwards is "being dragged" around the country. If you read her book, campaigning is something she enjoys, even though the life gets pretty rough at times. She also supports her husband. I am sure if she put her foot down, John would pull out. I think after all that family has been through, they must have a "carpe diem" outlook.

August 13, 2007 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. James Phoenix, AZ

Actually – since Elizabeth didn't show up... John was a bit lost for words – actually having to stand up for himself, be an actual candidate, and for once – wore the pants.

I can understand why you felt a need to apologize, John!

August 13, 2007 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  5. Gordon, Raleigh, NC

How about everybody step back and quit judging others. Zebra LaSalle from Illinois, I'm sorry you live in such a place that judges people so much. Our homeboy isn't dragging around Elizabeth...she wants to do this and live her life to the fullest. I don't think you, myself, or anyone else has a place to judge this unless we are in the exact situation. Just from experiences with my own friends and family who've had terminal illnesses, all three of them over the years have chosen to work, play, and live life to the fullest. How can you call someone an egocentric jerk when you aren't that person, yet you find a place to judge? I think you might possibly be the jerk. Just for the record, if ya are an Obama or Clinton supporter, your candidates don't stand a chance in the South. We're proud of Edwards...down here, we actually support our families and let people do as they please, not judge them for actions....funny how Oliver is close minded enough to think his candidacy is only a bumper... go ahead, elect an unelectable hillary or obama, and see how many southern states you pull with that. The only reason we didn't vote Edwards last time and is because of Kerry being #1 on the ticket. Why would y'all vote for someone with such highly unfavorable marks like Clinton, or someone who is off the hook with his young mouth, like Obama. There's no PERFECT candidate and there never will be, but in the meantime, you're criticism of someone not even close to where you live, of whom you know little about is grounds for you to criticize others....my comments are only based on the race so far, and nothing else. I'm sure y'all will do your part and help throw another Republican in the WH in '08 with your anti-Edwards views.

August 13, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  6. Mariana

Dear Kim,With independent diiursbttors and companies spread around the globe, this wings (independence) thing is bigger than ever. I never will forget the day when I learned of a colleague who walked away from a $10K per mouth network marketing income because he found himself on the phone 24/7's. He planned is own failure by micro-managing his team and being the go-to guy hero with the answers and fixes all the time. In my mind it is far better to tell the associate where to find their own answer or fix, rather than handing them the info.Incidently, my friend Ken K. was with the same company that our respected Tim Sales still works.Wishing You Plenty To Live,Tom DoironAtlanta

April 27, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |