August 13th, 2007

'Magic' Johnson to host Clinton bash

'Magic' Johnson will host a fundraiser for Clinton next month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Basketball legend Earvin "Magic" Johnson is set to throw a fundraising bash for White House hopeful Hillary Clinton September 14, six days after TV host Oprah Winfrey plans a similarly star-studded event for the New York Democrat's chief rival, Barack Obama.

The Clinton campaign tells CNN the event, also to be attended by musician Quincy Jones and music producer Berry Gordy, will be held at Johnson's home.

The competing fundraisers highlight both candidates' courtship of prominent African-Americans as they battle for their party's nomination.

In a statement, Johnson said Clinton "has the experience and knowledge to help lead our country," according to the Associated Press.

Last May, Oprah told Larry King she chose to support the Illinois senator because she knows him “personally” and knows “what he stands for.”

"I think that what he stands for, what he has proven that he can stand for, what he has shown, was worth me going out on a limb for. And I haven't done it in the past because I haven't felt that anybody — I didn't know anybody well enough to be able to say, I believe in this person," Oprah said.

In the same interview, Oprah said her endorsement of Obama does not suggest she is against Clinton.

"I think I've said this before, and it's true. Because I am for Barack does not mean I am against Hillary or anybody else. So the fact that I would endorse Barack Obama and the fact that I would support Barack Obama, I have not one negative thing to say about Hillary Clinton,” she said.

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Lauren Kornreich

1. Larry, West Covina, Ca

What's with all the racially-charged endorsements??? Anyway, I'm sure Hillary would much rather have the endorsement of Magic Johnson over the "fake" Winfrey. For all we know Obama might turn out to be just as fake as Oprah. WE LOVE YOU HILLARY!!!

August 13, 2007 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  2. Juanito, Washington, DC

Let Magic support whom he wants, it's his business.

Hillary is still a fake and will soon be found out. Her contradictory comments are now starting to come out, thanks to Youtube. The primaries are almost 6 months away, so there is time for people to see the real Hillary.

August 13, 2007 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  3. Camona, Iowa

The scenario is obvious, A Clinton presidency promises a Republican comeback in the House and the Senate. What you get is more of the same.Opening of the old wounds from the Clinton years. Nothing gets done on Immigration, health care, education and all these promises she's been making. Does anybody know where she stands on any of these important issues, as it's turning out, she's a flip flop like Romney and very good at 30 sec sound bites prepared by her handlers

August 14, 2007 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  4. ´Richard, An American currently living in Germany

I am of the opinion that so many of us seek to see the negative side of Hilary while so easily forgetting all of her positive attributes. She has for many years clearly communicated her support for minorities, women, children, the poor and those without health benefits. One should read her autobiography and her children´s book "it takes a village" to gain a better understanding of this talented woman. Could we please stop comparing her to her husband, they are two separate human beings and if nothing else she has been helped by living through both Bill´s successes and mistakes. I think Hillary is by far the best candidate whose life and political experiences make her the most fit candidate for the job.

August 14, 2007 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  5. Roz, Ann Arbor Michigan

Am I invited to the "partay"???

GO MAGIC!!

August 14, 2007 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  6. O'Donald HadA_Farm, eiOhio

Ryan from Boston tells us: "I am amazed at some of the postings I have read. I can summize that most of these postings are from uneducated people lacking higher education degrees or who no nothing..."

Ryan, actually you would surmise (make an inference). Summize? Never heard of it, is that some sort of mathematical operation?

I'm glad I am a 'no' nothing, unedumacated peopler lacking higher education degrees. If we wood all bee so smarter as you is, we could have bin righting long runnin' on sentences and contenyoually voting for Ted Kinnady.

August 14, 2007 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  7. Chip Celina OH

"Who is more pro-public schools – Hillary Clinton"

If she is SO pro-public schools, why did she send Chelsea to private school?

Good enough for everyone else, but not my kid.

Actions speak louder than words.

More Kool-Aid please.

August 14, 2007 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  8. LoooseyGoosey

Sorry Johnson,

you've lost your majic..

August 14, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. Janaye Olivier

I concur... Magic must have gotten a kick back or two from the Clinton entourage. He is a sell out, but one thing is for sure he doesn't have the money or the broad-based support that Oprah has. The only pull he has are a few other Black sell outs who are not politically astute and I feel I can say that cause I'm Black. Magic needs to stick to what he knows best economic and community development in urban neighborhoods. We can applaud him for that.

August 15, 2007 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  10. Bill KY

Chelsea Clinton actually went to public schools in Arkansas. When Bill Clinton became president, they had to put her in private school for her safety. Reporters could have spent all day following Chelsea at a public school because it is public property.

September 6, 2007 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  11. Jo-Ann

"I have not one negative thing to say about Hillary Clinton". Well, thanks for nothing. But will you vote for Hillary when she's the nominee? No doubt.

September 9, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  12. Larry, St. Louis, MO

As an African American male, I have alot of respect for Senator Obama. I beleive he is sincere about his goals and visions for our country. However, he is lacking in experience. Senator Hillary Clinton has tested the waters and has the experience to get this country back on track.There are those who have compared Obama to the late President John Kennedy....I'm sorry Obama you are not a John Kennedy. My advice to Senator Obama: Get some more years under your belt as a Senator and than consider running again. Hillary Clinton has my vote. Who will Hillary choose as her vice-president? (Obama maybe- that would be interesting......

September 14, 2007 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  13. Ebeny, Los Angeles, CA

Hilary is the BEST canadidate and WILL WIN!! I'm glad Magic is on her side. Girls we need to stick together!!!

September 14, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. jj, rockville, MD

I've watched all the debates, where exactly does Clinton copy Obama/Edwards? The next president is going to be walking into the Lion's den, that's why Hilliary is right for this election. After the democrats create a more friendly environment Obama can come in and continue to the work.

September 16, 2007 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  15. Maria, South Gate, CA

No wonder our country is the way it is, with so many ignorant people still around. Who are we to put judgment on others. Magic Johnson, you are a great person who has done so much for those in need. It is great that you are giving Hillary your support!

September 17, 2007 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  16. truthly

Majic the only thing i wonder "IF GOD IS FOR OBAMA WHO CAN BE AGINST HIM" and this is a story that you can relay to your kids!!!!!!!!!!

January 15, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  17. Cozy Cole

This is facsinating, I personally know Magic Johnson, and was suprised, not that he came out for Hillary, but that he an others committed so soon. I beleive that we lose our bargaining power and ability to be brokers when we committ so early.

However, when there is something in it for an individual or group lookout. Joel Ferguson of Lansing MI. has been named Hillarys state chair in Michigan, you remember, he chaired Jesse Jacksons suceessful caucus win in Michigan in 1984 and 1988. Well, Joel is magic's mentor and a member of Michigan State University's board of trutees, where Magic played college basketball. I' going to keep it real, I don't care who they endorse or raise money for, but when they walk in that voting booth as a blackman or woman, and think about the 400 years in this nation an not even a black vice president ever, after all their talk, rallying and activism, and now for the first time in my lifetime we have a candidate with poise,conviction,charcter, Vision, (For Black Women) he is married to a Blackwoman, If you are black and do not vote for this brother, I don't ever want to hear any of you blame whitepeople for anything anymore. I also beleive that Barack is the best candidate for white and brown America, if they can past their personal prejudices and give Obama a chance. Black prople have supported every runin tutin guy for the past 40 years, some even voted for Reagan and Both Bush's, It is time that we listen to the wisdom out of the mouth of someone different. Hillary would be polarizing to the repubilcans, more gridlock, but guess what no matter who wins the Joel and Magics and Ophrahs of the world will be alright, What about You!

January 22, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  18. Lawrence

I find it interesting that there are several white women labelling Oprah as a biggot for supporting Obama...these are the same women that go on the Oprah show and accept "Oprah's favorite things!"

It's funny... many white women expect black women to support them on issues of sex, however when it comes to issues of race those same white women are no where to be found.

February 5, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |