August 13th, 2007

'Magic' Johnson to host Clinton bash

'Magic' Johnson will host a fundraiser for Clinton next month.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Basketball legend Earvin "Magic" Johnson is set to throw a fundraising bash for White House hopeful Hillary Clinton September 14, six days after TV host Oprah Winfrey plans a similarly star-studded event for the New York Democrat's chief rival, Barack Obama.

The Clinton campaign tells CNN the event, also to be attended by musician Quincy Jones and music producer Berry Gordy, will be held at Johnson's home.

The competing fundraisers highlight both candidates' courtship of prominent African-Americans as they battle for their party's nomination.

In a statement, Johnson said Clinton "has the experience and knowledge to help lead our country," according to the Associated Press.

Last May, Oprah told Larry King she chose to support the Illinois senator because she knows him “personally” and knows “what he stands for.”

"I think that what he stands for, what he has proven that he can stand for, what he has shown, was worth me going out on a limb for. And I haven't done it in the past because I haven't felt that anybody — I didn't know anybody well enough to be able to say, I believe in this person," Oprah said.

In the same interview, Oprah said her endorsement of Obama does not suggest she is against Clinton.

"I think I've said this before, and it's true. Because I am for Barack does not mean I am against Hillary or anybody else. So the fact that I would endorse Barack Obama and the fact that I would support Barack Obama, I have not one negative thing to say about Hillary Clinton,” she said.

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Lauren Kornreich

1. Donna, Raleigh, NC

SELL OUT!!!! I can't believe he is pulling for the flip flopping clinton. She is not her husband!!!!! If you haven't noticed-she copies what Obama and Edwards say. Real experienced!!

August 13, 2007 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. calvin, florida

come on magic !!! i hope the real mj thats micheal jordan joins obama!!!

August 13, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  3. Anderson Owens Terry, MS

Oprah vs. Magic for a fundraiser? I think Oprah!

August 13, 2007 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. VanReuter NY NY

Magic has always been a winner and a leader in the African-American community.
    He knows a winner when he sees one, and Hillary is going all the way to the White House.

August 13, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Make sense, didn't Johnson sleep around on his wife just like you know who?

August 13, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  6. Kathryn - Metairie, LA

Good for "Magic" Johnson! I liked him before he decided to support Hillary, but even moreso now! He knows class when he sees it!

August 13, 2007 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  7. Chip Celina OH

Woah, impressive!

Just pouring more big-money into a campaign.

So, what a bunch of celebrities and retired sports guys think should mold the opinion of the middle-class?

These are the types that tell us we should conserve for the environment yet use far more fuel than us in their SUV and/or private jets. I'm sure it takes a little more energy to keep their mansion heated/cooled and lit than it does the average American's house.

See, once the energy is consumed and the pollution created, donating a couple thousand bucks for 'awareness' will do nothing to recover what has already been released.

My $0.02

August 13, 2007 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. Kris, Twin Cities, MN

Oprah is full of it. When ever she gets a chance to support a "black" leader, or person from a community, she doesnt hesitate to show her true one-sided self.

August 13, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  9. Jim, MPLS, MN

Fortunately his influence is limited. If you were Hilary whose endorsement would you rather have? Oprah's cleary a black female femenist or a Black Businessman Magic Johnson.

August 13, 2007 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. Matthew Law, Atlanta GA

Very good for Hillary! It's so pathetic though when people get on here to attack her and Bill. Why not direct some of that moronic behavior toward that monkey that is in office now. THANK GOD he will be gone soon, althought the damage that has been done to America will take HUNDREDS of years to heal.

August 13, 2007 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. Linda, Chandler AZ

Apparently, O.J. Simpson has endorsed Hillary too. Where's your article about that?

August 13, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  12. HAWK, TEXAS

SOUNDS LIKE THERE ARE A BUNCH OF OBAMA PLANTS HERE TRYING TO MUDDLE THE WATER.

August 13, 2007 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  13. lavelle

Too bad he was obligated to endorse hillary. Hey its cool do what you have to do but when you talk about a plan for the American people and thats for all cultures barack is the better candidate. Hey you cant win them all right? But guess whos attendings Oprahs fund raiser, Pretty much all the other big names in that African Americans follow. I just want to know what Hillary Clinton idea's that she have that are actually for black people! She talks a good game thats for sure

August 13, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  14. Kevin, Orlando, FL

All the money in the world won't help Hillary get the nomination.

August 13, 2007 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  15. Pat Putignano, Huntington Station, NY

Right on Matt! The neo-cons can only resort to their predictable Clinton-bashing because there's nothing good to say about Bush!

As for the endorsement thing, none of this should come to anyone's surprise. As Italian-American Democrat, I've struggled with the idea of perhaps voting outside my party to support Guiliani, who is not only a fellow NY'er, but an Italian-American, and would be the first one as president. Supporting someone from your own ethnicity for political office at a time when that person would be the "first" [fill in the blank] president, is, and should be understandable. [Note however, I'm not voting for him in any event.]

August 13, 2007 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. Phil D. - Cary, NC

Bravo to Magic.. and Hillary. Magic may be a basketball legend, but he is also a great business man and pragmatist. He is supporting the candidate that he believes will do the best job based on their character and ability, and not solely on the color of their skin like Ms. Winfrey. People need to wake up and see the Hilary is her own person and not just Bill's wife. I'm proud of Magic.

August 13, 2007 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  17. Claude, Mesa Arizona

Ridiculous! I don't expect anything less from Magic Johnson. He certainly is demonstrating he doesn't recognize class when he see's it. Hillary's ONE BIG GIANT FLIP FLOPPER!

August 13, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  18. Roger, Conway SC

I think it is great that Magic is supporting Hillary...regardless of what people think of Hillary none of us are perfect. There is one thing for sure we know all there is to know about her and Bill since they have been investigated over & over again by the republicans. She may seem somewhat distant to some but look at what was elected when people thought they were getting a good ole boy from Texas.

August 13, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  19. Tony Williams

Why are Americans so insistent on keeping the status quo?

The end result, this double-helix of a two 'royal family' ascension to the White House. Bushes-Clintons-Bushes-Clintons. We might as well call this the kingdom of the United States. I guess when Hillary's eight years are up, we'll vote Jeb Bush in. Just plain stupid.

Americans are so pathetic . . . and predictable. They complain about politics as usual, but then vote for politics as usual. Complain about the war, then vote for someone who supports the war. Complain about special interests, then vote for someone beholding to special interests.

Americans lack the courage for change.

This is pathetic. Magic sees even more dollar signs coming his way. Plain and simple.

August 13, 2007 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. Michael Turner Dallas, Texas

All of this is a mute point, because Hillary is clearly going to get the nomination and let's be honest....a vote for Hillary is a vote for Bill and Bill would win hands down against anyone right now. In regards to Oparah...remember she built a school in another country while American children need just as much support. Not sure if her decision making process is a very successful one to follow. I mean she did want a retail store to open after it was closed just because she was Oparah.

August 13, 2007 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  21. tony, springfield Ma

SO magic cant host his anual bball charity game but he can host this for hilary...

August 13, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  22. Bob, Oakland, CA

Who cares who some out of touch rich guy is backing. I care more about who the average man is backing then someone who uses money for toilet paper thinks.

August 13, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  23. Dan, Maryland

I love watching liberals blow their money on lost causes. :-)

August 13, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. RuthieM, PA

I can't for the life of me see how anyone can support Hillary when (again) after spooking over the Oprah for Obama shindig, she goes and wheedles for a high profile fundraiser host and bash to top, or equalize, the Oprah Obama one; and then makes sure it's held a week later so she can first see how much the Oprah Obama bash brings in so her Magic Clinton bash could top it and then splatter her caching all over the media, as usual. Ho hum. Nothing new. Again, if she gets in the White House, all she'll be doing is calling Barack Obama on her 'secret Obama call-up phone' - for advice.

August 13, 2007 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  25. Brenda, MD

"But guess whos attendings Oprahs fund raiser, Pretty much all the other big names in that African Americans follow. I just want to know what Hillary Clinton idea's that she have that are actually for black people!"

Hey Lavelle. You say Obama is for all cultures. Well, these two comments of your's fail to support that. I'm on the fence as to who I'm voting for, but I have to commend Magic and Clinton. Shame on Oprah for turning this into a racial issue. You can endorse, campaign, fundraise, or whatever else you want to do to support a candidate, but you don't need to alienate other races to do so. By fueling the racial comments surrounding Obama, other cultures will feel alienated further. Is American ready for a black president? We were until a big deal was made about the color of his skin.

August 13, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |