August 13th, 2007

Parting is such sweet sorrow

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards wasted few words in reacting to the announcement that President Bush's top political advisor, Karl Rove, is resigning at the end of the month.

“Goodbye, good riddance,” Edwards said succinctly in a statement released Monday.

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: John Edwards • Karl Rove
  1. Independent Voter, TN

Edwards shows little class in many of his public remarks. He and his wife seem to relish opportunities to criticize others in an effort to make him seem appealing. His "two Americas" rhetoric is totally negative and frankly, I'm sick of all the negativity in politics. Whoever has the most positive message will get my vote.

August 13, 2007 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. Bob, New York, NY

That's funny, those were the exact words I uttered when you didn't get nominated as the Democratic Presidential candidate. Just imagine what I said when John Kerry in another brillant strategic move made you his running mate.

August 13, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  3. Oliver MA

John Edwards' campaign is a bumper sticker, so we can pretty much ignore what he says about anyone.

August 13, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. Jeffrey Kress Old Bridge,NJ

Exactly the same words I said when Tenet and Rumsfeld left.I can't wait to say the same for Rice,Cheney and our "NUMBSKULL IN CHIEF" George "Worst" Bush.It will sure take a lot of disinfectant to get the stench of this administration out of Washington but it sure will smell sweet without these thugs around and when we finally rescue America from the likes of these lame-brained criminals!!

August 13, 2007 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. CHET SIMI VALLEY CALIG

ID LIKE TO SEE THAT PHONEY LEAVE TOO

August 13, 2007 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  6. dilmont

I want to see if any of the current crop of candidates for any office have the guts or stupidity to take on Rove as a member of staff. Rove is so completely despised and distrusted, that it would seriously call into question the judgment, intelligence, trustworthiness and "in-touch-ness with the people" of any candidate. I simply wouldn't be able to trust anyone who hires Rove now that we all know about him and his ways.

August 13, 2007 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  7. Mrs. Z, San Antonio Texas

What a smuck to say these words. Doesn't he understand that if he wants "one America", those words can only be divisive? I guess it won't hurt his feelings if I say "goodbye and good riddance" when he doesn't win the Democratic nomination.

August 13, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  8. Taylor Honrath, Long Beach CA

As usual, Edwards is right on target.

August 14, 2007 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  9. Ed Huddleston, Fort Worth TX

I wonder if Rove is going to take Cheney dove hunting with him. If so, that should be a comedy of errors. I'll bet Cheney's former hunting companion declines.

August 14, 2007 04:41 am at 4:41 am |
  10. JB, Boston Massachusetts

That just shows his stupidity! Rove is not going anywhere. The 2nd term is almost up, and I am betting Rove will attach himself (maybe not openly) to his choice for the Republican nomination. People may hate him, but, he gets people elected.

August 14, 2007 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  11. Chip Celina OH

He should have taken the high road and left it with a no comment, not my administration.

August 14, 2007 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  12. Yay for Edwards!

Thanks for telling it like it is, Mr. President!

August 14, 2007 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  13. Anonymous

I guess you won't be voting then Independent Voter.

August 14, 2007 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  14. Anonymous

Rock on President Elect!!

August 14, 2007 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. Don, Raleigh, NC

The same words I will love to say to you when you give up your campaign Johnny hair cut. I'm a Dem from NC and cannot stand this no class bum now or when he was our senator. CFR cronie.

August 14, 2007 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  16. Bill Troy, IL

Rove is now (technically) a has-been.

Edwards is now (and forever) a wanna-be.

August 14, 2007 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |