August 14th, 2007

Clinton 'walks a day in the shoes' of a nurse

WASHINGTON (CNN) - New York Sen. Hillary Clinton worked side by side with a nurse in Henderson, Nevada on Monday night, taking part in a major union's effort get all of the presidential candidates to "walk a day in the shoes" of ordinary, working Americans.

The day after completing rounds of the medical and surgical units at St. Rose Dominican Hospital with nurse Michelle Estrada, Clinton aired the first ad of her presidential campaign focusing on health care reform.

"I think that as a result of our time together, Senator Clinton has a better understanding of the energy and hard work it takes to care for patients for 12 hours and then come home to raise a family," Estrada said in a statement. "I’d welcome her back on the job any time.”

The event was part of SEIU's "walk a day in my shoes" program. Democratic presidential candidates John Edwards, Gov. Bill Richardson, Sen. Chris Dodd and Sen. Barack Obama have already taken their turns. Delaware Sen. Joe Biden and former Gov. Mike Huckabee are scheduled to participate by the end of the summer.

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Claude, Mesa Arizona

I've noticed that almost everything Hillary does CNN will post it and try to place a positive spin on it. This bias needs to stop. It's getting very, very old.

August 14, 2007 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  2. Gary L. Carvella Lakewood, NY 14750

One day and everyone knows who she is,does not give her the real feeling of what it is to work for a living. She should go someplace in disguise,not let any one know who she is and work for a 6 months and live on what she makes and then she will be able to say she has and idea of what is going on. Until then she is just another rich Washington Lawyer,who listens to other rich Washington Lawyers and other politicans not real people

August 14, 2007 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  3. victor vole. osseo, michigan

I would like to see Hillary take a walk in the shoes of a real working stiff. Let her join me in a day in the foundry or something similar.

August 14, 2007 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  4. Lynne, San Lorenzo, CA

"Bush 'walks a day in the shoes' of a nurse"–now, wouldn't that be refreshing?

August 14, 2007 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  5. Vivicaq, Lansing MI

I don't have a choice but to Vote for Clinton. She has what i am looking for in a leader. If I was looking for a model,I would turn to the runway

August 14, 2007 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  6. Juanito, Washington, DC

So this is news because HILLARY did it? I mean...Obama did the same thing last week...where was the CNN headline? Edwards also did it almost 2 weeks ago...where was the headline? Not a peep from CNN, but now that HILLARY did it, it's a news story.

Eh...ok....whatever.

August 14, 2007 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  7. Sternberg , Mauldin, SC

2 hrs/ does not a day make.

August 15, 2007 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  8. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

How cute. It was "take Hillary to work day". Take her to California and let her pick strawberries with the migrants. Send her to Ohio and find out whats it's like to have the factory you labored at for 20 years close its doors and move to Mexico. So sick of political grandstanding, and so early too. Hillary has not one ounce of compassion for that nurse she "worked" alongside.

August 15, 2007 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  9. Chip Celina OH

Gary from New York write: "Until then she is just another rich Washington Lawyer,who listens to other rich Washington Lawyers and other politicans not real people"

I'm right there with you. If you eliminate the lawyers from this year's crop of presidential hopefuls, you end up with 6 candidates (Democrat and Republican).

I sent an email to Hillary's office asking for a stance on an issue (CTBT) near and dear to my heart, but since I'm not from New York, I got an automated response asking me to seek information somewhere else. I am going to try her campaign website to see if I'm invisible there too.

I have emails in to other candidates on the same issue, we'll see what the visibility of a normal citizen is. I'll keep everyone posted.

I'm not expecting a reply.

August 15, 2007 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  10. Shawn, Atlanta, Georgia

Claude:
    Do you work for one of Senator Clinton's opponents? What's not positive about any American learning more about the way that our healthcare system works? The article also mentioned that other candidates had or will be doing similar types of shadowing. Its very obvious that you are probably involved with one of her lagging rivals' campaign.

August 15, 2007 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  11. Van NY, NY

If Hillary were to throw away her own gum wrapper CNN would run the headline,

"HILLARY CLEANS UP AMERICA"

It must be nice to have a news network in your back pocket!

August 15, 2007 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  12. M.A. Lewis, RN, OCN

Let me see Hillary or any of the candidates of either party actually work along side a staff nurse for a 12 hr. shift and then I might feel they were doing something. Let me see them stand on their feet for hours at a time or make the trip down the hall 50 times to answer lights and meet patient's needs & then I'll give them some respect for what they have done.
    They're not REALLY seeing what a Nurse does for her 8 or 12 hour shift.

August 17, 2007 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  13. pat kauchick,RN, Grants,NM

By 2020 New Mexico faces a 56% nurse vacancy rate.Nationwide 1 million vacancies. There needs to be a national forum on the nursing profession.Work environemnt,poor leadership and redesign of nursing education.

August 21, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. julie, rapid city, sd

re: Senator Clinton's walking in a nurse's shoes..
    What's wrong with even SOME exposure to nursing and healthcare? Of course, no candidate will devode a full day job shadowing, let alone a 12 hour shift. But some is better than none, and hopefully some good will come of it.

August 22, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |