August 15th, 2007

Obama launches Spanish radio ads

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The week after singing in Spanish on a radio show, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama continued to practice his bilingual skills Wednesday in a radio ad geared toward Nevada's Hispanic community.

"I'm Barack Obama, and I approve this message," Obama said in Spanish in the ad.

The ad features a man and a woman praising Obama, saying he is a "Christian man" and a "leader who fights for the rights of everyone."

"As a son of a foreign father who came to this country looking for a better life, Barack Obama learned that differences do not divide but rather enrich," the man said in the ad.

Obama has already targeted the large Hispanic voting bloc in Nevada with a grassroots effort that includes door-knocking, literature drops and phone-banking in Spanish, according to his campaign.

“We have a lot of work to do, but I am confident that together we can bring change to this country by continuing to stand up for comprehensive immigration reform, fighting for more affordable health care and committing ourselves to equipping the next generation of Latino leaders with the educational tools essential for success,” Obama said in a statement.

The ad started running on Wednesday in radio markets in Las Vegas and Reno.

- CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Nevada
  1. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

HEY CNN – why aren't you covering the comments made by Obama about our military bombing innocent villages and people?

Many of the other networks are reporting but you're quietly brushing it under the rug. What gives?

August 15, 2007 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  2. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Can a Hip-Hop-Obama ad be far behind? Word!

August 15, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. Sam, Houston, TX

August 15, 2007 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. Kevin, Fenwick, DE

Great, now rednecks won't vote for Barack.

"If you don't speak English you can just GIIIIIIT OUT!"

August 15, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. leebo

Obama loses my vote.

August 15, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  6. TK, Cbus, IN

"yah, great! he will dismantle the INS, tear down the border fencing, open the floodgates of illegals and pave a SUPERHIGHWAY from Mexico to the welfare offices and emergency rooms!!"

What are you talking about? At the AFL CIO Forum I recall a very different response from Senator Obama. I believe he said we have to control our borders and the influx of illegals, but the individuals already here cannot be shipped home. We have to create a pathway to citizenship for them, but they have to get to the back of the line and pay fines. Get your facts straight

August 15, 2007 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. TK, Cbus, IN

I also believe he stated we must crack down on businesses hiring illegals. Politicians can spit all the rhetoric they want and say they will crack down on illegal immigration, but if we do not crack down on the hiring of illegals we will never be able to control it.

August 15, 2007 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. Go John!, Atlanta, GA

Press "1" for Edwards, Press "2" for Obama.

August 15, 2007 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  9. MG, Tampa, FL

If only we could ship the citizens that have been on welfare in this country for years to Mexico and trade them for the hardworking immigrants.

August 15, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. Jon G., Paris, TX

So anyone that speaks Spanish is automatically illegal? Wow, I guess you do have to be pretty ignorant to vote for anyone but Obama.

August 15, 2007 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. katwac Oakland, Calif

Good for him?!? He just lost me as a possible vote for him. Why in the world would he do that when we Americans are trying to get rid of illegal immig.
    If they are Americans then they will speak E N G L I S H. We don't need special messages for them, just like all these signs. This is America speak our language.

August 15, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  12. E. Caldwell Philly, Pa

Wow imagine that, a presidential canidate reaching out to the largest minority race in this country. This should give Ms. Edwards something to talk about.

August 15, 2007 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Kaseam, Philly, PA

You people are really ignorant. The post states that Obama is reaching out to Nevada's Hispanic community. It says nothing about illegal immigrants. Typical, yet foolish Americans. I guess all Hispanics are illegal.

August 15, 2007 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  14. Kaseam, Philly, PA

Hey Leebo : I guess all the candidates lost your vote, or maybe Obama never had your vote to begin with. Are you even registered?
    People are really quick to jump ship on the CNN ticker.

August 15, 2007 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. Elisa

Kaseam,

if you have to be a us citizen to vote, and in order to be a us citizen, you have to comprehend English, then why is Obama doing a campaign commercial in Spanish?

Our politicall correct, pandering politicians are out of control.

When my ancestors immigrated here, there weren't organized efforts within their communities, as well as the larger society around them, to help them assimilate. Today, there are activists working in just the opposite direction, to keep foreigners foreign, to demand that society adjust to them by making everything accessible to them in their own language, minimizing their need to learn English. As activists are working hard to keep alive a foreign subculture in so -called "bilingual" and other programs, they are also feeding the young especially with a steady diet of historic grievenaces about things that happened before the immigrants got here -and before they were born.

Sounds like you have one by saying "foolish Americans."

August 15, 2007 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  16. Jersey City, NJ

As an educated American of Hispanic heritage I am insulted by the posts on this page. If you are democrats, you should be ashamed of yourselves!!! I am voting for Barack, and I know dozens of other Hispanics who plan to do the same, not because of his Spanish language ad, but becuase he is the change this country needs. However, I also realize that there are many Hispanics in this country who don't know enough about him yet, which is why it makes sense to have an ad in Spanish, to target those voters who listen primarily to Spanish radio and watch Spanish language TV. Clearly he is not trying to enlist illegals as they can not vote, but rather make himself known to the broader Hispanic community who is looking for their candidate, someone who understands their issues, which are the same of those of the general population, healthcare, poverty, education and the war...

August 15, 2007 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  17. A Smith, suburban Houston, TX

Posted By Kaseam, Philly, PA : August 15, 2007 4:56 pm
    **********
    See what I mean? I agree with Kaseam...it's the majority once again fine-tooth combing an ad to the legal voting Hispanic community and thanks to the streotyping political do nothings, he is somehow supporting illegal immigration through an ad???
    Americans are some of the MOST fickle human beings and for no good reason...all a bunch of flipfloppers...really, really sad!

August 15, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  18. Tom Dedham, Mass

Posted By MG, Tampa, FL : August 15, 2007 3:31 pm

That would be the best, smartest and yes, funny as hell solution if we could ever do it.

August 15, 2007 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  19. Evan Esteves, Boca Raton, FL

As a Hispanic American who is not Mexican, I ask Sam from Houston what exactly are you bothered by? My take is that you are along the lines of Newt Gingrich and think that Spanish is the language of the ghetto. Please for the sake of the future of America, don't let your kids grow up to be like you.

August 15, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  20. xtina chicago IL

What I notice in the ad is that Barack feels compelled to say
    " Im' a Christian man " .

Why say this? I thought people don't want candidates to point up their religiosity, I thought people want candidates to keep their religiosity out of the campaigns and out of their decisions.

August 15, 2007 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  21. David, Salinas, Ca

I’m a natural-born American citizen of Italian and Czech ancestry. Being a Californian, I grew up speaking both English and Spanish. I wish I spoke other languages as well.

I would like to see American children learn as many languages as possible. In particular, if more Americans spoke Arabic and Chinese, our country would be a safer place with a stronger economy.

The best part of being an American is that we have element of all world cultures in our melting pot. Those who insist on “English only” are preaching ignorance.

August 16, 2007 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  22. Sharifa

What the heck is going on Hillary did the same Crap!!! When an immigrant haning out a window told her that he and his darn wife were illegal, little Mrs. Hillary yelled in front of the press that no one is illegal in America, then she wants to give them licenses. If Mexican people buy her crap they are gullable. By allowing them to get licenses she will be able to keep track of them and kick them out of this country. But, they don't see it that way because they are to busy hating African Americans. Spanish is not the language of the ghetto. I speak spanish fluently since my great grandmother is Puerto Rican. Puerto Ricans are decendents of Spaniards,Dutch, and Indians. Point is Mexicans are not the only ones that speak spanish! British people think that the American form of ENGLISH humerous, so stop insulting other cultures. Yes, there is a immigration problem, but there are other ways to voice your opinion about it other than insulting another race.

January 17, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  23. Sharifa

"xtina chicago IL August 15, 2007 10:17 pm ET

What I notice in the ad is that Barack feels compelled to say
    " Im' a Christian man " .

Many commenters are intimidated of Gov Romney's relgiosity, afraid he'll push his morals on us. Should I feel intimdated by Barack's religiosity, too? What if he tries to push it on us? Or is it only Romney whose religiosity we hold against him?"

-THE REASON HE SAYS HE IS CHRISTIAN IS BECAUSE SOMEONE OR A GROUP OF PEOPLE ON THE NET ARE TRYING TO SAY HE IS MUSLIM. THIS IS FAR FROM THE TRUTH. HE IS CHRISTIAN!! I HAVE RECEIVED AND READ ALOT OF THINGS THAT ARE NOT TRUE ABOUT HIM. DID YOU WATCH TUESDAYS DEBATE? THEY ASKED HIM TO CLEAR THIS UP.

January 17, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |