August 15th, 2007

White House calls Clinton ad 'outrageous,' 'absurd'

The White House responded to Clinton's first campaign ad Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush has repeatedly said he won't weigh in on the presidential race yet, but that didn't stop a White House spokesperson from calling Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's first campaign ad "outrageous."

The ad, which started running in Iowa Tuesday, shows Clinton at a recent campaign rally saying, "If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too."

She is also seen saying the president treats the troops in "Iraq and Afghanistan as though they were invisible as well."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying "This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost." (Related video: The politics of healthcare)

"As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing," Perino added.

The Clinton campaign seemed delighted the White House highlighted the ad, immediately flagging Perino's comments on its Web site with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Clinton herself shot back at the Perino's comments while campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," she said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. anon, elko, nv

All I can say is "who supported North American Free Trade Agreement?"

What makes anyone think Hillary won't make the same dead-end mistakes that her husband did is beyond me.

Those of you who are baulking at all the China products that are causing so many problems and those of you think that George gave your jobs away, think again. We don't need any more "good" ideas like NAFTA.

August 15, 2007 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  2. Cathy, New York, New York

Good!
    I'm proud of you Hillary!
    The more politicians that know how to honestly speak and act for the regular American the more likely they are to win our hearts and votes!!!
    We are all disgusted with the arrogance of this privileged and dishonest administration.

August 15, 2007 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  3. DF, Dallas TX

She is right. I wish it wasn't the case, but she is absolutely right.

August 15, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  4. Carol

This administration has NO CLUE what Americans are going through finacially or other wise. Nor does he care. The president is making his $400,000 a year, along with his money from selling his oil and is getting his health care, why would he care about the little people. What a WASTE of 8 years. What a lame duck! This country is spirlling downhill fast. We need a good Democrate to get us going again before China & Japan come in and take us over totally!!

August 15, 2007 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  5. JB, Boston Massachusetss

Way to go Hillary, attack more people. Last I checked your problem is "likeability". This I am sure will lower that number a bit. And for all those people commenting on the poll #'s and Bush's approval rating. . . .doesn't Congress have lower approval ratings? Isn't Clinton a member of Congress??? Just checkin : )

August 15, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  6. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Campaigning on the backs of our proud men and women fighting in Iraq and elsewhere is not my idea of patriotism.

Voting FOR the war on multiple occasions.

Voting to continue funding the war.

Now campaigning against the war in order to win her party's nomination.

At the end of the day, it is Hillary who will be invisible to us all when she gets her's handed to her in the general election.

August 15, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  7. Vam Ny, Ny

Rob San Diego,

You wrote, "Not a Hillary supporter by any means but I can't believe anyone can defend this pathetic excuse for a President."

These problems (Walter Reid, etc) have been ongoing for decades. Do you REALLY think military personell were getting the BEST treatment while Bill Clinton was in office?

Bush-haters lose complete credibility when you attempt to lay every discovered "problem" at Bush's feet. And yet you'll say Clinton was responsible for the "greatest economic period in US History" (stock market).

How idiotic. Bush didn't create the issues at Walter Reid – and Clinton (as all Presidents) have little influence over the stock market.

CAN YOU AT LEAST BE HONEST FOR A MOMENT?

August 15, 2007 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  8. Marilyn Gum Georgetown, TX

What happened when Bill Clinton had 8 years to fix the health care system and provide health insurance for all those that could not afford it. Hillary joined her husband in the campaign promise to deliver afforadable insurance to the poor. They did not accomplish any kind of health care relief in 8 years. I don't believe her now.

August 15, 2007 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  9. Mark, Salisbury, NC

Like the Clinton's did something for the country? Clinton/Kennedy...same difference.

August 15, 2007 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  10. OPA

Why are people bashing the Clintons? I haven't been too impressed with Sen. Hillary's campaign and she probably won’t get my vote in the primaries. However, it was the Clintons that left this country with a surplus; which could have done us some good if we didn't elect the most incompetent president that we will see in our lifetime.

“Thugs,” is a term that should be used to address Bush and his oil rich, non-bidding contract buddies.

As far as the ad, it does nothing for an educated voter; we know bush sucks, stating that doesn't gain our support.
    Unfortunately most voters aren't educated, politically, so I guess its right on.

I would rather hear why she is better for the job than Sen. Barack or Sen. John. WHAT IS YOUR MASTER PLAN?

August 15, 2007 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  11. Vicki, Angola, IN

Most of these comments make me laugh. Clinton says the troops are invisible to the White House. Was that before or after her husband downsized and made life harder on the troops. I am an American Soldier giving my life for people like Clinton who don't really care about the troops unless it gets her elected. Then she will downsize us again and more children won't have their parents around even more since they will be deploying more often with fewer Soldiers.

August 15, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  12. Danyelle, West Palm Beach, Fl

I can see it already...We are going to be forced to vote for the "lesser of two evils". The average American can trust no one in the government to do what they say they will. Politicians do what they can to get the vote and then do what they want after they get elected. We NEED a third party.

Or maybe we just need a good old fashioned Revolution. Stop career politicians who have no idea what the real world is like away from capitol hill.

I am thirty two years old,female,single,white and have no kids. I work full time. I cannot afford health care. I can not afford school. I have less than a hundred dollars a month in disposable income, if that. I have no credit card debt, amazingly, because they are thieves.

I will be lucky if I ever manage to save money for my retirement because as of now I can only afford to pay thirty dollars into my plan per month, with no employer match.

If I can't succeed as a single, unmarried, childless white female in America....who can?

American Dream? What a joke.

Fire everyone. Start over.

The problems we as a nation face today can not be fixed by the idiots who created them.

Lesser of two evils = 8 more years of ineptitude and international suicide.

The question is...Who will be the lesser of two evils? And will it even matter in the long run?

August 15, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  13. Gary Williams, Signal Hill, CA

Good for Hillary, sometimes the truth hurts.

August 15, 2007 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  14. Melody Smith, Layton, UT

I have a hard time thinking of Hillary as our president. I am raising daughters to be very careful when choosing their mate. Ever since her husband taught the world about sex on the side. It creeps me out to think that she kept him and set an example for women in this country that it is ok
    to sleep around. I can't look at her without thinking of his moral mistakes.

August 15, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. Ben, Dover, Deleware

Hillary is a proficient spinner. She obviously had alread prepared this line to use in response to any White House objection. If it works, might as well use it.

August 15, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. Pete, Calif.

Well its pretty obvious Hillary is using the only way out that she has in order to win this upcoming election (lmao its in 08) – to harshely and rigorously criticize Bush. I'm srry but that won't do for me. I need something more assuring from her that proves her as a valid, and actually reliable candidate. Not just some jib-jabbing talky-monkey. You know, I do think that Bush ultimately resorts everything down simply to "Al-Qaeda; 9/11; and Terrorism in a broader sense" But Hillary only seems to put it at worse by hopelessly repeating her rhetoric on "Bush Hate" that is common among Americans after what we have seen from his administration over the years. I assure you: Bill Clinton may have done some good for the U.S. – but I don't see too much of that with this hypocrit

August 15, 2007 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  17. Angela Lowery Greer SC

Go Hillary !! Americans are invisible to the white house !! i dont think he is prejudice one bit ,he ignores everyone and thier needs .

August 15, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  18. SAM, Kaiserslautern, Germany

Ms. Hillary Clinton is such a joke! Have we all forgotten how she screwed up the White House when she was in office before? (Don't tell me you think her husband was making any of the calls after he embarrassed her with his unforgotten behavior) Where do you think she got the idea to run for president in the first place?!? What I want to know is what this Clinton's did to support our soldiers, elderly and the poor during their time in office. An economy CANNOT deteriorate overnight and an attack like September 11th was not planned in nine months. This all happened on their watch. The Clinton's are so far from reality of "middle class"! I know that I enjoy my extra tax breaks every year. I live in a country that has FREE health care but pays 40-60% taxes! If you want to know what the soldier's think of this war, come ask the wounded soldier's being treated in Landstuhl, Germany. Hillary Clinton did not too long ago but lacked the response she was looking for. Wake up America, nothing in life is FREE!

August 15, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  19. Chip Celina OH

"Why is it that all the Clinton haters are demanding to know how she will pay for universal healthcare, but they never feel the need to ask Bush where the money will come from to finance our everlasting occupation in Iraq?"

This is a really good point. I'm not a Hillary fan because I haven't seen her really DO anything other than talk.

But, we have spent an inordinate amount of money over there.
    I think most people don't want the government to 'take-over' this segment of our economy. Seeing how gov't procurement is famous for $600 toilet seats, can you imagine what the Tylenol you now pay 6 dollars per pill for will escalate to?

A look at what Massachusetts ins trying with their Connector concept is worthy.

What we really need is the candidates actually debating and trying to not do hatchet-jobs on their opponents. They all refuse to give credit where it is due (especially if someone from the other party is responsible). Most political coverage we see (he said-she said) is more worthy of the National Enquirer than real "NEWS" organizations.

Have a nice day,

Chip

August 15, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  20. Rob

Man Hillary is one tough Gal!!! She has more cahonies than anyone on either side. That is what this country needs. I admire that. One smart lady.

August 15, 2007 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  21. Brad Lane, Warwick, RI

Her point that she believes what her ads say are true is borderline defimation of character in the real world. But in politics you only have to believe something to be true without proof to politicize it. She should be required to demonstrate facts that prove what she believes before airing of ads, so voters can make informed accurate assessments of the candidates.

While the Clinton's continue to raid Rhode Island to build up her political bank account she hasn't sold me on her campaign.

GO BAMA

August 15, 2007 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  22. angie conte, Syracuse, NY

Well, she isn't exactly lying.

August 15, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  23. James, Minneapolis, MN

She is running on Bush and her husband and that is it. Bill is telling her what to do from behind the scenes. I like Bill but I dont want 8 more years of him from behind the scenes if he was running I would vote for him but not his wife.

This is really going to bring the country together running ads talking about everyone else but no mention of what she would actually do to fix anything.

August 15, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. Gail Oakley Pratt, East Killingly, CT

You go Hillary!!!

August 15, 2007 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  25. Tasha G. Junction City, KS

The statement that you made does make sense. If i remember correctly the 1st amendment says "freedom of speech". With the way taxes are increasing, and they way it is hard to find good day care.
    I feel that since Bush became president we've had more troops die in Iraq since they've been sent over there. Honestly, I think that the troops need to come home. So what Mrs. Clinton said in her statement, there was no harm done. She was just speaking the truth.

August 15, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |