August 15th, 2007

White House calls Clinton ad 'outrageous,' 'absurd'

The White House responded to Clinton's first campaign ad Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush has repeatedly said he won't weigh in on the presidential race yet, but that didn't stop a White House spokesperson from calling Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's first campaign ad "outrageous."

The ad, which started running in Iowa Tuesday, shows Clinton at a recent campaign rally saying, "If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too."

She is also seen saying the president treats the troops in "Iraq and Afghanistan as though they were invisible as well."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying "This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost." (Related video: The politics of healthcare)

"As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing," Perino added.

The Clinton campaign seemed delighted the White House highlighted the ad, immediately flagging Perino's comments on its Web site with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Clinton herself shot back at the Perino's comments while campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," she said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. FATJOEY WILMINGTON,DE

HILLARY'S "WRITING CHECKS" SHE CAN'T CASH!!! TYPICAL POLITICIAN!!

August 15, 2007 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. Jamie J. Phillips, Las Cruces, New Mexico

Hillary Clinton speaks the truth! George W. Bush does not give a DAMN about the American people and we ARE pretty much invisible, as most of us already know. It's just too bad that we have to keep this idiot in the White House until the next election.

Hillary, keep up the good work!

August 15, 2007 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  3. Hanover

You go girl! Nobody can hit the Bush machine harder than Hillary. I love this woman.

August 15, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  4. GG - SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS

What? You guys are upset because some one has the cojones to actually say something against the most deceitful, secretive, intimidating, divisive administration since Nixon? You're kidding, right? He left his family during the holidays to go in harms way? Give me a break! He NEVER completed his stint in the military thanks to his daddy during the 70's – hello? Amnesia setting in? Proud to be a Republican who has NEVER voted for a Bush!!

August 15, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. Anne, Philadelphia, PA

I LOVE IT!!!! I'm a middle class working mother of one/part-time student who can't marry her fiance of 3 years because will lose the $600 financial aid toward my $5580 a year(4 classes) tuition. Can't expand my family because child care for one is over $200 a week. Can't quit my job because will lose health care for entire family. Have to jump through hoops to get my $33,0000 worth of school loans deferred during the period between Spring and Fall semesters because I can't afford the payment. Applied for the WIC program but was told my GROSS (before taxes) income was too high and that my NET (the money I actually receive) doesn't matter. AND can't afford to purchase a home because prices are triple what they were 5 years ago. So.....I have to agree that Clinton has a point!!!

August 15, 2007 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  6. John B., Dallas, TX

This claim of Hillary Clinton's about being invisible is actually silly and meaningless. It's just used to stir up hate among people that don't wish to think for themselves.

Now, pretend that Hillary is on a job interview. Now, ask the question: "What will you do to make this a better country?" Simple question, right?

Now, what do you think when the response is how bad the other applicants are? The question has not been answered.

So.... who is the best qualified person to be the next president? Never mind what they think of Bush, or that they REALLY REALLY want the job.

Will any candidate answer with a plan?

This Republican vs Democrat vs Republican hatred is ridiculous. We are not picking which GANG we'll belong to.

August 15, 2007 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  7. Bill, Houston texas

Yes this idiot President did this, along with the do-nothing, bribe-taking Congress, and the Gov't is not allowed to negotiate the best price, and the tax payers are getting screwed.

August 15, 2007 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. John, Binghamton, NY

Hey you non-NY's come and live here in NY see what Hill-baby has done. NOT A GOSH darn thing. I agree the Clinton ADMIN. nothing was done w/Health Care when they in office. And the nest PRES. will do nothing also.
    INVISIBLE someone said. OPEN your narrow mind? Soldiers are fighting for our freedom..RESPECT THEM!! they are keeping Terrorist at Bay. 911 I remember a Pres. saying we are going to fight these Terrorist as long as it takes...I remember LIB's and DEM's standing around me saying YES let's go get them for killing us on our homeland. I think Hill-BABE said same thing in different words. Are we not we AMERICANS ?? Fight for our country.
    Never forget 9/11.
    Economy..hey, I am working !!!! I am happy w/other oppurtunities out there.
    Weird thing I noticed also..I really rarely see REP. bashing DEMS...Not like the LIBS and the DEMS bashing REP.

Gosh Hill-BABY get a grip.....

I dont want to vote for a person who just wants to BASH people ...never will.

August 15, 2007 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  9. Josh, Iowa City, IOWA

Did anyone notice that the White House didnt really refute Hillary's claims? Wasnt Hillary talking about low income families and single mothers? The White House comes back with medication for seniors? And on the president and the troops all the spokesperson said was that she thinks it is outrageous that someone said that, but doesnt state why. Am I missing something or did our troops suddenly get body armour and properly armoured humvees?

August 15, 2007 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. Dave, NY

Hey, someone needs to inform Hillary about the 2-term rule. She will not be running against Bush, so why continue to spend money bashing him? I'm no campaing manager, but shouldn't she be focusing on the opposition?

Side note- If she does happen to get elected, I believe Canada will have a major boost in population

August 15, 2007 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  11. Rob

To all my knuckle headed republicans out there... Please stand up !!!
    Yes you've got lots of blood on your hands as well .. those of you that supported GWB for a second term that is.. Your uneducated point of view led us to another 4 years of disaster. I can understand how the strength of Hillary and the will of the people have succeded your points of view and have opted to try to nominate someone with brains to the oval office. I know it must hurt your pride to look at your former unwaivering support for the immoral commencment of war in Iraq, violations of our constitutional rights... disintrigration of our enviormnment and the rise of corporate greed. Youve succeeded, but now we must turn the clock on you, and try to readjust our mission in Iraq and the war on terror, fix this blundered economy, and clean the water that we will be feeding to our children. Fixing our foreign policy so that we create allies is the way to go forward with this war on terror will e the new priority the we need. Go Hillary!

August 15, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  12. Emily W. Wood, Herndon, Virginia

Bush is the first President in years who has the guts to stand up for America. I read CNN News, but highly resent all the negative remarks about our President. Where is the respect for the Office of President????

August 15, 2007 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. RFG, Miami, Florida

Democrats are sensationalists and extremely negative. It's comical that a majority of Democrats like to demonize anyone who disagrees with their unrelenting seek of power in the political realm and control over our personal freedoms. I'm sure that Dems truly believe that their ideas are for the better of society but maybe they would be better putting their ideas out their for the public instead of demonizing and attacking an administration that isn't even running in the 2008 election. Hillary Clinton is afraid to propose real solutions and rather just mud sling against President Bush to detract from her own faults. Here's hoping that a Republican retains the whitehouse in '08.

August 15, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. sheila malvern ohio

Comment:Whatever the personal attacks you place on each other bush and clinton ,doesn,t change the fact that people we vote into office seem to not know how to do their jobs or cut strings to people who are courrupt.Both of you were corrupt when you were voted into office and the amercian people gave you a second chance to change your lives at the expense of lives and our money.Next election will be someone elected who is NOT in that catgory. handmaiden.....

August 15, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  15. Ryan, New York, NY

Not a Hillary fan by any means, but I can't help at laugh at Dana Perino's "absurd" and "outrageous" comments. Nothing in that ad is any more disingenuous than the things that have been coming out of Ari Fleischer's, Scott McClellan's, Tony Snow's, and Dana Perino's mouths for the duration of the Bush presidency.

August 15, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  16. john williams san diego, ca.

any person over the age of fifty, knows that rodham clinton is PURE evil and her campaign managers would sell out America to have her win as did bubba.

August 15, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  17. Elizabeth, Arlington, VA

While Hillary may be making valid and useful points about the current administration (which is way beyond rescue attempts at this point), I think that as a candidate, she is too divisive within and across party lines to be elected. Half the women in the country will vote for her just because she's a woman. But then you have people in both parties that won't vote for her because of that fact.

If the Democrats want to win the White House in 2008, I think Hillary is not their strongest candidate. Though I am a registered Republican, I have been grossly disappointed with the GOP nominees and strongly support Obama. While Hillary would bring change to our country, I don't necessarily think it's the kind of change we want to see. We need a president who will unite the country, not cause further division.

August 15, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  18. Robert Semler, Houston, Texas

Typical politics – you can not say anything good about yourself so you attack your apponent and try to make them look bad. Bush is not an apponent – so attacking his is really a dumb move. This country can not take another Clinton administration.

August 15, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  19. CB, minneapolis, MN

I really want someone to tell me why people hate hillary so much. Whats worng with helping and caring about the poor? Oh I forgot you rebuplicans only claim religion when its toward gay marriage or abortion. Can you really believe this president has helped the middle class? Do you believe he cares about the troops cause he visited them? THAT IS WHAT A PRESIDENT IS SUPPOSE TO DO!! When a president cares about the troops he wanted put them in a war with the wrong country! When are u CONS going to admit that he missed this up. The world will never be safe again and if you think its okay to invade country cause you feel like it then that says alot about America. Sorry we are not the number country we used to be, stop riding on our past glories! We are not even liked in the world, I dont know any country that can survive by its self. Most of you people of dont agree with me probably have never left this country so I understand your ignorance.

August 15, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  20. Prakash, Aurora, Colorado

It is becoming a trend to bash Clintons on whatever public comments Bill and Hillary make in their campaigns. This seems to be a GOP strategy. Hillary is not the ideal candidate for presidency. But, amongst all the bunch, she is the best. These idiots who comment and bash Bill, just step out of the US and talk to any foreigner in Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Asia, and you will find that they just love Bill and Hillary. On the contrary, they ask us how stupid you are to elect Bush 2 times? That itself shows that if Hillary becomes a president, Bill can be a ambassador who has the ability to solve major conflicts including an Iraq mess that Bush has created.

August 15, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  21. Susan Adams, Centerville NY

Do we really need or want "4" more years of Clinton's B***S***. Clinton's Lies, Clinton's messed-up personal lives.

August 15, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  22. Clint, Atlanta

I love how all the conservatives leaving comments do NOTHING but attack Mrs. Clinton and provide no support for the President on this issue. That is because they cannot point to one program or any single piece of legislation this President and his staff have furthered to help the working poor and our soldiers (who should also be classified as working poor because President Bush DENIED them an increase in salary that they and their families so desperately need). So go ahead and Bash Hillary, it simply shows that you have no other argument to stand on and that you and the entire conservative movement is out of ideas. At least all the brilliant ideas that have gotten us to this point - lame economy, domestic spying on you and your family, and endless/useless war, diminished credibility overseas, massive deficits, and we now owe our souls to China now. Thanks President Bush!

August 15, 2007 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  23. Gil Edgar, Trucksville, PA

Yes, Hillary! We know. Please stop stating the blazingly obvious and start telling us what you are capable of doing to solve these problems. Everybody knows how to sling mud and attack the opposition; we need problem solvers, not problem re-hashers.

August 15, 2007 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  24. kathy, houston, tx

It's always easy to make others look bad to make yourself look good. Does Clinton's ad say what she would do? Regardless, campaign promises are just that...promises. Most never materialize, so why bother believing them.

August 15, 2007 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  25. John Round Rock, Texas

Did you catch this?
    "I am not American. I cannot vote. But I can observe. What did Ms Rodham Clinton say? "I want America to distribute some basic necessities on a universal basis". Well, what is wrong with that? Most of the rest of the world already does it! And without any money!"
    This is it folks! This is where the maniacs want us to go..."without any money." Of course it takes money, you imbecile. I hope you don't become a citizen, because you don't have the brains to vote! This is preposterous. Just think – many Americans would probably agree with this idiot – no money. Right. Any Hillary wouldn't have to raise taxes to unprecedented levels. Right. Go back to wherever it was you were entertaining yourself before you got here.

August 15, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |