August 15th, 2007

White House calls Clinton ad 'outrageous,' 'absurd'

The White House responded to Clinton's first campaign ad Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush has repeatedly said he won't weigh in on the presidential race yet, but that didn't stop a White House spokesperson from calling Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's first campaign ad "outrageous."

The ad, which started running in Iowa Tuesday, shows Clinton at a recent campaign rally saying, "If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too."

She is also seen saying the president treats the troops in "Iraq and Afghanistan as though they were invisible as well."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying "This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost." (Related video: The politics of healthcare)

"As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing," Perino added.

The Clinton campaign seemed delighted the White House highlighted the ad, immediately flagging Perino's comments on its Web site with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Clinton herself shot back at the Perino's comments while campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," she said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Kim Davis, Tucson AZ

What's the fuss about? Of course she thinks W. has been bad on health care and the military. So do many others. Just ask the soliders at Walter Reed.

August 15, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. Mark S, NC

It amazes me how everyone has a comment about something they know nothing about. So here's my shot:

I certainly would not want to deal with all the things President Bush has on his plate and still be expected to make decisions in our best interest. It is easy for people outside of his office to call the shots when they either have no clue what's going on or have a narrow view. The office of President isn't to make decisions that everyone approves of. President Bush has had to make some difficult and unpopular decisions. While he hasn't necessarily made all the best decisions according to the polls, at least he made them and stuck by them, good and bad.

Senator Clinton isn't perfect either and I disagree with her recent ignorant comments about our President and military.I am a Reserve Navy Petty Officer, proudly serving my country and do NOT feel invisible or unseen by my Commander In Chief. I do feel overlooked by our presidential hopefulls.

People need to get out of their seats and actually do some research about what is going on in the world now as well as historically. Stop believing what people and media say and start looking at the truth.

Lastly, do not forget to pray for all our leaders and military. Prayer is not a dirty word and we all can benefit from something positive for a change.

August 15, 2007 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Steve, Fort Worth, Texas

Who does this broad think she is? I had a little respect for her with the disgrace that her husband put her through, but to claim that our troops are invisible to thi President? That is ABSURB! when was the last time she was in IRAQ or anywhere close to where our troops are stationed?! Come on, Clinton! Get your act together if you want to be a serious Presidental candidate!

August 15, 2007 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Yeah Bush is a bad president. Anyone who hasnt been in a coma for the last few years knows this.

So how are you going to fix it? In Jan 2008 when Bush is gone, and were still stuck with the same situation, are you going to keep complaining about Bush? If god forbid the job becomes yours you cant just blame the previous administration. Cmon Hill, if you want to sway me, give me a reason other than heres what Bush did. Those who dont have anything positive to say will sling mud. Those who actually have a plan dont..

August 15, 2007 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. Russell, San Jose, CA

The Clinton ad campaign is speaking to the majority of Americans who live with the worries of paying for health care or adequate child care.
    The current president has repeatedly shown that he is not concerned with either of these issues but would rather feather the beds of insurance and oil companies.
    The current president has a disgraceful record when regarding social and human issues.

August 15, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. FATJOEY,WILMINGTON,DE

YOU KNOW YOU'RE IN TROUBLE WHEN YOU HAVE TO "BRIBE" THE PUBLIC FOR VOTE'S!!
    SORRY HILLARY ,SORRY OBAMA,THEY'LL BE NO WOMEN NOR BLACKS IN THE WHITE HOUSE IN MY LIFETIME!!

August 15, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. FATJOEY,WILMINGTON,DE

SOMEONE LIKE J.F.K. WOULD HAVE QUESTIONED WHY SOMEONE WHO CANT AFFORD HEALTH CARE GETS PREGNANT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

August 15, 2007 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  8. N. Crittenden, Columbus Ms

I hope and pray with all I have that we won't suffer another Clinton Administration. I would rather be in Iraq fightning the war with a Presiden that see me as "invisible" than American with Hillary Clinton in office. I don't believe that President Bush sees anyone as invisible, he's only one man though.

August 15, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. jason Dallas, TX

Boy I cant wait to stand in line for 8 hours for the new Clinton healthcare plan. Maybe it will only take 6 weeks to get an x-ray.

August 15, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. Mike, Lee, NH

It is demoralizing and disrespectful for Clinton to say that the troops and the people in the USA are invisible to Bush. Some might not like Bush, but it is far from the truth that he is not seeing what needs to be done. Bush might not be perfect,but Clinton, and those that work for her, are iditots.

August 15, 2007 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. Janet Sorensen, Little Rock, AR

Get 'em, Hillary! You are so right! Our current administration hasn't lost touch - they never had it in the first place.

August 15, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  12. FATJOEY,WILMINGTON DE

one word.........."WHITEWATER".....NUFF SAID?

August 15, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  13. Catherine, Kenosha WI

What is really scary is that Bush and his administration really do believe they are supporting the middle class while most of what he supports does exactly the opposite. Bush, etal. don't want to hear dissent on anything that is critical of their paradigm. As for the RNC going after Clinton about the Iraq vote. Let's talk withholding information and inflating half-truths and lies. As for some of you who fault her for attacking the president on her policies, hmm, let's discuss all the tactics Rove has used in Bush's campaigns with the Shrub's approval like push polling (for those of you who don't understand, that's where you ask a questions such as Would you vote for Ann Richards knowing her advisors are all lesbians). Don't act like Bush, etal. is totally innocent and above board because they aren't.

August 15, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  14. C.B.

"White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference,..."

No doubt asked by a member of the White House Press Corps, then when the question is answered it becomes a comment that is "sharply fired back".

Then, Hillary in a the 'look at me, look at me' mode says: " Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago,"

Yeah, they could've probably cared less but just answered a question by the press. It was a setup and was spun to look like good 'ol Hill has 'em on the run.

Please.

August 15, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  15. Mary, Holland, MI

I am so tired of people saying that Hillary "will say or do anything to get into the White House." She doesn't say or do anything more than any other politician running for office. WEAK ARGUMENT!

August 15, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Billary, hear we go again. Universal health care or socialized medicine both one in the same is a colossial failure in France, Germany, GB and now a bankrupt Canada health care system. I am a Gulf War Vet, the Clintons could careless about the military which was proved by Bill when he shut down the military bases and cut all the dependent wives and childrens benefits thru the military. I am sick of all these politicians trying to sell themselves as caring for the middle class, what a joke Hilary is now.

August 15, 2007 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. Anonymous

One word: Katrina.

I am apt to agree with the Ad because it became clear to me that day just how disconnected the president was the reality and needs of the American people

August 15, 2007 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. Dana Guyer, Lancaster PA

HA!! Funny Im not a fan of Hilary, I have been supporting Obama. But I have to say I TOTALLY agree with what she is saying. To all of you people that are poo pooing her comments, how many of you have to pay for health insurance out of their own pocket???

August 15, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  19. TWM, Anchorage, Alaska

Dear Hillary,
    I am a father of three. I am divorced and I have visitation rights. What does it say to you when I am paying full child support, childcare, health insurance, along with about $7,000 a year for traveling costs for my children when my ex-wife sits at home and gets pregnant out of wedlock, and other divorced single fathers tell me, "You got lucky". How about trying to help the single father. Anybody that wants to solve one of the most slanted, prejudiced, and civil inequalities that faces this country today, regardless of race, color, or any other difference, I'd vote for him or her hands down. But, then again, I'm just a "deadbeat dad" lashing out, right, Ms. Clinton?

August 15, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  20. Donnie Rio Grande City, Texas

The people that keep ragging on the Clintons do not seem to realize that Bill was just trying to clean up the big mess made by Reagan (dead from the neck up for many years) and Bush senior who should have had a vasectomy before he could produce offspring.

August 15, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  21. Nanson; Charleston, SC

Hilary's just telling it like it is. If that wet-brain in the White House cared about the troops, there wouldn't have been a Walter Reed debacle (which wasn't addressed until it hit the press). Nor would he have put them in harm's way in a war of choice.

And just TRY being a veteran trying to get timely health care at the VAMC. Not to mention mandatory funding for the VA hospitals.

Bush (in a debate) said Jesus changed his heart. Too bad HE didn't change the dummy's thinking! Sobriety isn't just stopped drinking. It's also changed thinking. George is the very definition of a dry drunk!

August 15, 2007 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  22. Anonymous

I think it is funny that the spokesperson pretty much agreed with Clinton on the childcare and child health care issue by choising to say, "Well we helped the seniors!" and not even attempting to explain anything Bush has done in the realm of children's issues... oh yeah, it is because he hasn't done anything!

August 15, 2007 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  23. Abby, Indianapolis, IN

If these people have been invisible to this president what in God's name has Hillary been doing in the Senate for the past seven years to make them noticed???????

Will it make a difference if she's president??????/

August 15, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. Christina, West Haven CT

I don't care if a white male, female, or Black American candidate made like statements, I would support them fully. It is nice to be acknowledged by political leaders for the first time in 8 years.

It comes as no shock to me that the White House has come down hard on Hillary for stating facts about the Bush administration. I am middle class America. I am struggling financially; her video resonated with me.

She speaks the truth and the Bush administration calls it ridiculous–how shocking!

August 15, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  25. Tom, Honolulu, Hawaii

Hillary is correct. This president is the most inept leader I've ever seen. The prescription drug plan for seniors is a joke written by lobbyists for insurance companies. If he truly wanted to help seniors & all Americans he would push for "Universal Health Care" as each & every other industrialized country offers at a much lower per capita cost than the current "managed care" system that we have that is run by the insurance companies.

August 15, 2007 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |