August 15th, 2007

White House calls Clinton ad 'outrageous,' 'absurd'

The White House responded to Clinton's first campaign ad Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush has repeatedly said he won't weigh in on the presidential race yet, but that didn't stop a White House spokesperson from calling Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's first campaign ad "outrageous."

The ad, which started running in Iowa Tuesday, shows Clinton at a recent campaign rally saying, "If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too."

She is also seen saying the president treats the troops in "Iraq and Afghanistan as though they were invisible as well."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying "This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost." (Related video: The politics of healthcare)

"As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing," Perino added.

The Clinton campaign seemed delighted the White House highlighted the ad, immediately flagging Perino's comments on its Web site with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Clinton herself shot back at the Perino's comments while campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," she said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Linda ~ Los Angeles, California

BRAVO, Hillary!

August 15, 2007 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  2. Jim, Boston, Mass.

Hillary is a big liar and loves to twist the truth just like Bill. From what I have heard when Bill was President the troops didn't even want to see Bill the had to be ordered to come out if he came to any military post. I think the Clintons past speak for itself they are pathological liars

August 15, 2007 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  3. Craig, Nicholasville, KY

I am a lifelong Democrat. If Hillary Clinton wins the primary, my vote will go to another party. During debates, when she says "I thank you and your family for your sacrifice" in regards to U.S. Troops it just comes off as really fake to me. Her campaign jumps on idiotic tangents that don't serve her campaign or her country well. She is a political robot, and a bad one at that. I don't know who has been doing the polling that puts her ahead of Obama, but I have several friends who are Democrats and not one likes her even as a Senator.

August 15, 2007 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Boyd

that's funny! this administration actually said it cared about the troops!!!! that has got to be the funniest thing i have ever heard. NEWS FLASH!!! if you care about them then stop killing them for special interest gain!!! this administration treats them as pawns!!!

August 15, 2007 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Kojo

I have lived in Europe for a while and im now in the US,what makes America great iit its system,it will be a mistake for America to move to the left or elect a liberal.Europe is begining to realise the failure of its system and the loss of values.

August 15, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. Ohio

For people to say that the government should be paying for everyone's healthcare charges is LUDICROUS. Where would that money come from? US MIDDLE CLASS who always gets screwed over by the TAX AND SPEND Dems! No thanks! I'm middle class, and a PROUD REPUBLICAN because the Republican party has this crazy idea that you can actually work hard and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Gee, what a concept! You dems want us middle class hard working Americans to pay for your laziness! NO THANKS. HILLARY WILL NEVER CARRY THE SOUTH OR THE MIDWEST. Not gonna happen. A liberal isn't going to carry either of those parts of the nation! No way, no how. And most men can't stand her. She's a pathetic man wannabe – or have we even established what gender she is yet?

August 15, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. wintec,wash,nj

I totaly agree with Clinton. This administration has got it's head up it's butt over Iraq and can't get anything else done.Nor does it want to.
    this administration can't be gone soon enough for me. I wonder how many of U.S. feel this way.

August 15, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. Wendy, Quakertown, PA

What makes her think she will see any clearer then her husband did???

August 15, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  9. RA The Framing Wizard

The US is invisible and it has always been that way for me and I am due for eligibility as working-class senior citizenship and all administrations have ignored the middle for many administrations.

Not just one administration! I do not recall any type of health care my entire life! I believe, as Hillary Clinton so aptly stated, that we, the poor, working-class and the elderly have been pushed aside by this administration. We ARE invisible to them and that's the way they want it. Do you really believe things will change just because our administration is about change hands?

August 15, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  10. Greg New York

Hey Joe in DC you State Bush is just wanting to send our troops of to war. You forget 9-11. WE THE UNITED STATES WERE ATTACKED. Maybe you believe in being a wuss (like the Clintons) and just let terrorist do what ever they want.

August 15, 2007 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  11. muffinsills

Go see SICKO and you'll realize and the Bush administration would realize that Hillary is treating people just as "invisible" as the current President. She has been bought and is now just full of presidential LIES

August 15, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. Martin, Burlington, ON

Hillary gets so much press on your website - does CNN stand for the Clinton News Network?

Clinton's campaign (and those of the other Democratic candidates) is based solely on bashing the current administration. She does not present fresh ideas for running the country nor does she explain to the public why she is better than her competitors.

If there was one thing that was "invisible" in Washington, I wish it was Hillary.

August 15, 2007 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  13. Dave in DC

Typical Hilary – misleading diatribe. But remember, first she voted for the war before she voted against it. Yeah, she is a real troop supporter.

Send her to Iraq with all those troops she "supports". See how long it takes for friendly fire to take care of the problem.

August 15, 2007 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. Jennifer Odo Toms River, NJ

Being a mother of two and not married yet to their father, we are currently living on one income because it dosen't work out financially to put my children into day care. If I do go back to work, which we desperately need, I will only be bringing home 20% of my income due to the fact that the rest goes to daycare. I sincerely hope that there will be some resolution to this evergrowing problem for the families that need 2 incomes to survive, no matter who is in office. But I feel grateful for Hillary's notice of the problem and finally feel noticed.

August 15, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  15. S Bengtson, Phoenix AZ

First of all thank you Sen. Clinton for not being afraid to tell the truth about this administration. Dana Perino just another example of a corrupt, deceptive, manipulative and over all border line criminal administration. That is far past it’s time to be impeached and any one who voted them in to office should be kicking them selves, if there not then I only hope evolution takes care of you.

August 15, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  16. Tera St Paul, MN

If you live and breathe you pay healthcare. What is wrong with that idea? You don't like it.....move. It's that simple.

I can't believe that so many of you really want this mean spirited, Wellesley graduate to lead our country. A woman might make a good president someday....but most certainly NOT THIS one. She most definitely does not have the qualities of a leader that is going to bring together this divided country of ours, when just the mere sight of her or mention of her name makes so many (me included) cringe. Just look at what has come of her very first campaign add. And there will be more to follow? Yeesh. Lord help us all.

August 15, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  17. Los Angeles, CA

Senator Clinon is a woman I strongly admire. She is the ONLY candidate to speak honestly about the way she sees our country and how she hopes to change it as President. Many of you who have commented below sound scared that a woman has taken a stronger stance on vital issues in our nation that any other candidate in recent history. Vote for Hilary for a better country!!!

August 15, 2007 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  18. barb gentry spanaway washington

I am a 50 year old american with Lupus for over 15 years now. It was not untill President Bush's time was I able for the first time to take the medications that save and or prolong my life. I support my president, and am sorry to see his time end, as for any more Clintons in the White House? No way, I find it embarssing that the family that made our White House Staff a world wide joke would even think to run for president is absurb to say the least. The fact that Hillary is with Bill still is enough to question everything about her.

August 15, 2007 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  19. Byron Keanan Palisade CO

I have disagreed with the mamoth spending this Administration has signed into the "give away" or "wealth distribution" programs. He has funded everything while fighting a WAR. She must be so insensitive to anyone outside her desires see can not see the focus and concern expressed by anyone.
    Byron
    Palisade CO

August 15, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  20. Roy,USA, USA

Melody Smith, Layton, UT get a grip. You people act like Bill Clinton is the first politician to have have "sex on the side". Republicans are like lemmings. They just follow along blindly. It's amazing how you people can ignore what a banged up job W has done over the last eight years.

August 15, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  21. Pappy, Baxter Springs KS

Hillary should be the last to talk about health care. We were to have national health care 6 months after her husband took office the first time. That's why I voted for him the first time not the second when nothing happened!

August 15, 2007 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  22. Tracy Reed, Glendale, CA

I am disabled, and on Medicare and have struggled with health care issues for years. Guess what Hillary? I, like most of America, am as invisible to you as we are to this administration. You had eight years as a "co-president" to show us how visable we are, to no avail. Suddenly you need us again and you are "one of us". Give me a huge break. The entire problem with this country is that we, the people, (your bosses), are entirely invisible to everyone in Washington, and that has to change. Hopefully, prior to the 2008 election, we, the people, will figure that out, and every single Washington insider, like yourself, will be rooted out in favor of someone who truly understands that they work for the citizens of this country.
    If not, we will remain – forever – invisible.

August 15, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  23. Robert Cadalso

HILLARY CLINTON ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE.

BUSH'S AMERIKKKA IS SPINNING IN THE TOILET AND REPUBLICANS ARE DIZZY LOOKING AT THE WATER SPINNING BUT FAIL TO STOP THE IDIOT PRESIDENT FROM CAUSING SUCH HARM TO OUR NATION.

HILLARY ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE!

August 15, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  24. Jacque - Dallas Texas

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the fact that President Bush is not running again. It's sorta a moot point to campaign against him. Should Hilary and every other presidential hopeful not be running against each other and letting us know what they can do better for us then the rest?
    I for one am tired of hearing about all thats being done wrong by others, for God's sake someone tell me what it is you can do better??
    Most if not all politicians are the same, out for themselves. There will never be a politician that can appease everyone all the time.

August 15, 2007 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  25. Ginger Fontaine LV, Nevada

Our president is a disgrace. An arrogant, idiot drunk with power. I want my country back....
    Paying billions to secure our borders from terrorists and letting the Mexican border bleed with illegal immigrants. Its rediculous. And then there is the crime rates. We need new leadership with integrity and passion to save our society and our culture.

August 15, 2007 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |