August 15th, 2007

White House calls Clinton ad 'outrageous,' 'absurd'

The White House responded to Clinton's first campaign ad Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush has repeatedly said he won't weigh in on the presidential race yet, but that didn't stop a White House spokesperson from calling Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's first campaign ad "outrageous."

The ad, which started running in Iowa Tuesday, shows Clinton at a recent campaign rally saying, "If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too."

She is also seen saying the president treats the troops in "Iraq and Afghanistan as though they were invisible as well."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying "This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost." (Related video: The politics of healthcare)

"As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing," Perino added.

The Clinton campaign seemed delighted the White House highlighted the ad, immediately flagging Perino's comments on its Web site with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Clinton herself shot back at the Perino's comments while campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," she said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jackie, Defiance, OH

I am surprised Hillary thinks she can win, I am a really good judge of character and I really dont like her, she eminates smugness. Just makes my skin crawl. And I am really starting to like Joe Biden-my gut reaction to him was very strong. But I need to do some more research yet.I kinda like Obama but I think he's missing something-havent put my finger on it yet.I also like John Edwards-i think its between him and Joe Biden in the democratic arena-i hope one of them gets the nod but doesnt seem like that will happen, who knows.

August 15, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  2. Mary, Holland, MI

"I would not vote for anyone that would ridicule a current president."

Posted By Sally Phillips Santa Ana CA : August 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Sally,

What planet do you live on? Have you ever lived through a U.S. political season? That's the way it is–always–no matter which party is in power.

August 15, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  3. Twanna

I love Hillary, and I think her comments are right on the money! By far, she is the best canidate. I believe she will pull it off in 08.

August 15, 2007 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. JB, Boston MA.

JUST ONE MORE REMINDER. . . .Hillary voted for the war. . . .the public approval to go to war was in the 80%'s. . . . and I am sure someone will say we had bad info. You are right, we ALL had bad info. It is really easy being a Monday morning quarterback. Oh ya, and Bush is an awful President. Move on! This is a new election. There will not be a Bush running. Just as Carter didn't represent ALL democrats, Bush does not represent all "R"'s. God we need a thrid party! Or better yet, let's remove all labels (no R's or D's next to someone's name)and force people to listen to the positions on issues. It has become almost like a sporting event. . . if your team isn't in power make sure the team in power fails so, next time you will be in power. Messed up politcal system!!!

August 15, 2007 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  5. C.LyOns, New York, NY

If the middle class and lower class are so invisible to this current administration, how come there have been more first time homeowners then by any other president in recent history?

-SUB-PRIME Loans

August 15, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. C.LyOns, New York, NY

Why do so many people assume it's the government's responsiblity to handle child/day care or health care? This country is being suffocated by those who do not understand the difference between and right and and entitlement. You do have a right to health care, but you are not entitled to get it free. Everything costs money. Someone must pay for it. Pay for yours and I will pay for mine.

-Be sure to send your Social Security Check to me then...

August 15, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. Samina, Centennial, Colorado

Its so outrageous that some of these right wing wacos are blaming Hillary on her campaign speeches. Hillary in her speech has blamed Bush's policies (not Bush personally)and to those hopefuls who still support him. Look at Bush's records: 1)Erasing Clinton's surplus 2)Attacking a sovereign country unilaterally who never attcked us 3)Falsely telling american people that Saddam has a link to 9/11 4)Spending 1 trillion taxpayers money on endless war which benefitted comapnies like Exxon, Haliburton (Cheney connection) 5)disregard constitution 6)illegal wiretapping 7)mismanagement in Katrina like disasters 8)politicizing justice dept. by appointing lawyers from 3rd grade schools 9)using executive priviledge to pardon Libby (who exposed CIA operatives)in order to protect Cheney and Rove 10)making a big mess in health care which is benefitting insurance and pharmaceutical cos. big (seniors still buy from Canada)11)allowing power companies to pollute by saying that global warming is hoax 12)non funding stem cell research on the pretext of religion and faith while not caring for thousand innocents who die on this useless war 13) creating fear amongst americans in the name of terror and on and on.......
    Can these idiots come up with one achievement of Bush's 7 years in power? Hillary has atleast tried to bring in universal care for all the americans, but these wacos haunted her all along. Yes Clinton lied under oath! But, that is to protect his family from personal ebarassment. But, this administration has lied to american people and literally squandered trillions of taxpayers money, and precious lives. If that money had spent on american people, there would not be 42 million uninsured, and millions of homeless due to Katrina like disasters. If you don't admit that these policies were wrong, go ahead and rubber stamp another republican who still supports Bush's policies.

August 15, 2007 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  8. Chip Celina OH

"Being a mother of two and not married yet to their father, we are currently living on one income because it dosen't work out financially to put my children into day care...."

So, you're gonna vote for the person that will take my money out of my pocket to pay for what you've chosen to do?

I empathize with your situation, we struggle sometimes to make the bills and have a few bucks left over but never expected anyone else to pay our way. My wife stayed home with our kids because we thought we should raise them and instill our values into them and not pay someone else to. That's one reason you have kids.

August 15, 2007 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. Andrew Denver, CO

HillDog is making a partisan point, and scoring points. Even thought the White House is getting involved to defend itself, it really is just fanning the flames here. The White House needs to stay out of the Democratic 2008 Primary contest. And HillDog needs to mind her rhetoric if she really intends to win the Democratic primary, cause regardless of what she or the Dems deem the truth, she needs to win over independents, and probably some Republicans to be president. Imagine though: President HillDog, it's pretty catchy, I guess.

August 15, 2007 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Lindsey, Princeton, Kentucky

Hilary Clinton obviously doesnt know what shes talking about. If President Bush thought the soldiers were invisible then why would he even bother with having meetings and stuff like that about the soldiers being in Iraq thats all I've heard about in a while so how could they possibly invisible. And now my grandpa can actually afford his medications now. I hope everyone else knows how bad Hilary would be for our country.

August 15, 2007 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  11. Kyle, Fayetteville Arkansas

I do not have much faith in the integrity of individuals who achieve the heights of power needed to attain the presidency. That said, I am quite sure that all of the candidates are corrupt. The question is simply which corrupt individual will serve our needs best. I have never allied myself with a particular party, but I find it difficult to vote Republican after seeing the failure of the current administration. Bill's presidency, however, will be remembered as a success. Seeing how his wife is a candidate – and that they share many beliefs – I think it is foolish to not vote for her.

August 15, 2007 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  12. Chris kankakee IL

IF she wants to attack bush why can't he attack her.

August 15, 2007 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Mark, Sacramento, CA

Be Careful Here: Maybe Hillary knows something the rest of us DON'T. namely, that Georgie-Boy WILL run for a 3rd term as president–he's broken so many laws and ignored the Constitution and Rule of Law, he'll steamroll the 2-term limit (with another of his *signing papers*) and RUN FOR OFFICE/PRESIDENT AGAIN for a 3rd term!! Watch out America!! The nightmare may NOT BE OVER!! In which case, Hillary Clinton may be OUR ONLY HOPE OF ENDING "HELL UNDER BUSH II"!!!

August 15, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. Rex, Toledo, Ohio

Thought. Instead of making all of those promises, "when I'm President of the U.S.", why not go for it now. You have a Democratic Congress and Senate. Take your best shot. Show us what you're made of. Universal Health Care by Election time, and I'll vote for you Hillary. Simply put, there is nothing she can accomplish as President that she can't accomplish right now.

August 15, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  15. Joe in NC

Chip of Celina OH
    Of all the judgemental things to say...
    While I agree that having children out of wedlock is not a good idea, the fact is that it happens everyday and the resulting children must receive care. The single parent must work to get money and healthcare, and the child must be cared for in the meantime. If the parent cannot afford childcare, how is he or she supposed to work?
    For a party that claims to value all life, you seem content to punish the son (or daughter) for the sins of the father (or mother).
    Also I'm offended by your suggestion that being a single parent is the fault of the parent. I was raised in a single parent household because my father unexpectedly died when I was young.

August 15, 2007 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  16. Tera, St Paul, MN

WOO HOO!! GO HILLARY!! AND KEEP IT COMIN! SPEW MORE OF YOUR VERBAL DIATRIBE! MORE MORE MORE! PUKE IT ALL OVER THE PLACE. AND AS YOU DO, BE SURE TO HANG ON TIGHTLY TO THE SHOVEL, CUZ YER DIGGIN YER OWN GRAVE.

NEXT TO YOU HILLARY, CANDIDATE LOOKS GOOD!

August 15, 2007 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  17. Mary, Rolla, MO

QUOTE: "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."As we've seen.. just because they keep saying it, over and over again.. doesn't mean they truly and honestly BELIEVE it (DOMA, remember?).What never ceases to amaze me is how stupid the Clintons must think Americans are – how they can't remember any further than yesterday, how they have no ability to think for themselves – CLINTONS – WE REMEMBER YOU.. and because *I* remember you.. I won't be voting for you, regardless of what party, job, position you run for. PERIOD. We're not all "so 5 minutes ago".

August 15, 2007 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  18. Jen, San Mateo, CA

Where does she find all this time to campaign? Doesn't she have a job to do in New York? I'm sure the New Yorkers are excited about having interns run the business while she's out "running for president". Seems to me she should prove she's a great Senator first, before thinking she'd make an even better President.

August 15, 2007 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  19. Ronald Rathbun-Ridgefield-Wa.

I Beleive What CLINTON SAID About Health Care-Bush Has Done NOTHING TO HELP SENIORS Buying Drugs-How Many Of Us Has Hit THE DONUT HOLE With In A FEW Mo. After JAN 1 And Started To Pay FULL PRICE For Them Even Though I Pay KAISER $200 A Mo. For Heath And Drugs By June Of This Year The Gov Will NOT Allow Them To Sell Me Drugs At The $15 A Drug Like I Should Be Doing-If It Was Not For WALLMART I Would Be Paying$500-$600 Instead OF $120 Like I Could Of If BUSH HAD NOT PUT IN A NEW LAW Forcing Me To Pay FULL PRICE NOW! Those Of You Just Retireing Check On The DOUNUT HOLE AS It It Called By ALL DRUGESTS

August 15, 2007 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  20. xtina - chicago IL

All she's really saying is :

Don't have health care? No problem ! Your fellow Americans will now pay for YOUR health care because I'll be raising taxes to make that happen for you!

Memo to Hillary:

I'm still waiting to hear WHAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED in office that qualifies you for the Presidency. Please tell us.

August 15, 2007 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  21. VanReuter NY NY

Republicans, reactionaries, and RACISTS all seem to enjoy venting their spleens on any thread with Senator Clinton's name on it.
    She'll say/do anything to get elected! they shout, and NEVER offer one single example to support this MYTH.
    Blind hatred and bigotry are usually evident to all but the guilty party, so in no way do I expect any of them to change here, but some of what I have read here makes me ashamed for them, as are any other rational, intelligent people, I am sure.

The real,
    Van

August 15, 2007 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Hilary is right; I applaud her. I cannot write the disgusting words I feel for Bush; he should have been impeached 2 years ago. Helped the seniors? ....B.S. The only person he helps is himself....the narcisstic, ignorant egomaniac.

August 15, 2007 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  23. Tom, Austin, Tx

The truth hurts! If you are Republican, or one of the 3 in 10 people still unable to extract your head from your...well you know. I don't support Hillary, but this is nothing but the truth, about the most disgraceful President in the history of this great country. He makes Nixon look like a Boy Scout.
    TomRealTexan

August 15, 2007 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  24. Fed Up, Pittsburgh, PA

Van in NY

Let's not be blinded. Go look at Bush's record on funding for the VA...cut...cut and cut. So, he sent soldiers to war, was kind enough to show up and have a turkey dinner with them and then cut funding for their medical care when they return home. Yeah he supports our troops, until they actually need something like medical care.

August 15, 2007 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  25. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Check this out, it is PRECIOUS!

"Christie Vilsack, who with her husband, Tom, the former Iowa governor, was part of the Clinton entourage, spent much of the more than two-hour tour introducing the candidate to familiar voters. But when Vilsack tried to coax 87-year-old Roberta Hindman to come meet Clinton, the elderly woman snapped: "No way. She makes me sick." Another passerby loudly referred to Clinton as "the Antichrist," and a third man argued with Tom Vilsack about whether she would become president, telling him, "I can't stand her."

Sounds like rough times ahead in Iowa for team Hill!

August 16, 2007 01:43 am at 1:43 am |