August 15th, 2007

White House calls Clinton ad 'outrageous,' 'absurd'

The White House responded to Clinton's first campaign ad Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush has repeatedly said he won't weigh in on the presidential race yet, but that didn't stop a White House spokesperson from calling Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's first campaign ad "outrageous."

The ad, which started running in Iowa Tuesday, shows Clinton at a recent campaign rally saying, "If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too."

She is also seen saying the president treats the troops in "Iraq and Afghanistan as though they were invisible as well."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying "This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost." (Related video: The politics of healthcare)

"As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing," Perino added.

The Clinton campaign seemed delighted the White House highlighted the ad, immediately flagging Perino's comments on its Web site with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Clinton herself shot back at the Perino's comments while campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," she said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Rick Lawson, Spartanburg SC

Go Hillary !

It's simple, most American's are much worse off now under Bush. And the republicans use a few hot button issues to keep power. If you are working class you are kidding yourself if you don't support the Democrats and Hillary.

August 14, 2007 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  2. Eduardo

Another reason, in the already long list, of why not vote for Mrs. Clinton.

August 14, 2007 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  3. Melissa S. Baltimore, MD

As a soldier, I was embarrassed to serve under President Clinton – Soldiers could go to jail for the things he did. I'll be even more embarrassed and disgusted to serve if Hillary wins. She truly doesn't care about us and we know it. She has unveiled contempt and unless you've seen her around those of us in uniform, you probably can't imagine the depth of her contempt. Even though I can't be partisan in uniform, I will actively campaign against her in any way I can.

August 14, 2007 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  4. Anonymous

I can see why the White House responded so strongly – it's all true. I don't care much for Hillary, but she's nailed this one.

August 14, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  5. Armin BAur, Litchfield, CT

What Hillary said in her add may be true but let us not forget that she will do anything and say anything for political gain. She will try to outsamrt 260 million Americans and she might just do that unless Americans wake up and realize that she cares only for about herself and how to get into the White House. Fellow Americans, we have 7 years of puff from a Texan cowboy, do want another 4 years of bluff from the Clintons? I do not.

August 14, 2007 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  6. Chris Doerfler, Portland, Oregon

I think all you anti-Clintonites are just plain funny. No brains, no observation power, no class, and no idea how politics works. Hillary is going to win the nomination, then the presidency, the country will be much better and you will all still complain about something. Just do us all a favor and stay home on Election Day...

August 14, 2007 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  7. Sophia, Fremont CA

Mr./Ms. Dell of Baltimore: I found many factual errors in your post so I corrected it. Oh, yeah, and I corrected your spelling, too.

"George W. Bush is at best a cold, mean-spirited, ice king. He hates the United States but loves to be its Emperor. He is the worst that the US has to offer. I doubt you will put this on your blog – you guys are pretty pro Bu$hCo."

I do not support Senator Clinton's presidential aspirations – I don't think she is qualified and she is too far to the right for me. But anyone who cannot see that George W. Bush is the one who is cold, heartless, out of touch with the American people, and desires to be a King sorely needs correction.

August 14, 2007 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  8. Puppet Raul, 140 Degrees in the Shade, Alaska

Funny how it struck a nerve with a president who never saw time in a war, yet plays commander in chief with a war that he started. Also interesting how porky, koulter and others relish in smearing others to no end. Yet their puppets dont cry foul since its allegedly "balanced and fair."

August 14, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  9. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

To "pl, at the UN" who opined:

What did Ms Rodham Clinton say? "I want America to distribute some basic necessities on a universal basis". Well, what is wrong with that? Most of the rest of the world already does it! And without any money!

The abhorrent fallacy of your comment is that it's not "without any money." Everything costs money. And if the recipient of whatever goods or services you think of as "basic necessities" aren't paying for them, then someone else is. Governments don't create* money, all they can do is steal it from productive people and redistribute it to people who have done nothing at all to earn it.

It's the perennially contemptible mantra of the Democrats that people who refuse to take responsibility for their own lives are somehow entitled to sponge off the rest of us.

* With the provisio that governments often "create" money by maintaining inflation rates in excess of what the economy demands, thereby devaluing money, effectively stealing the differential value from the citizens.

August 14, 2007 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  10. destardi, Chicago, IL

GWB and his crooked family...great grandpappy did business with the Nazis pre-war. FACT

GWB=Multimillionaire, at 12 years of age..

Bill Clinton=Middle class American, lived American dream, became President on smarts alone

Hillary Clinton=Middle class American, not a multi-millionaire at age 12

you tell me which family is made of "crooks." I will never never never never understand how someone who drives an inexpensive car, works hard labor, struggles with medical bills can vote for a multimillionaire who never bought a loaf of bread for his family..and turn around and defend them til their death.

DISGUSTING and IGNORANT

August 14, 2007 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  11. Dale, Clearfield, Utah

The time has come for all Democrats to quit being rolled over by the Republican administration. I only wish Senator Clinton would have asked the president if he cared so much about the troops in Iraq then why did Bush send them to cause and referee a civil war. Also, Bush could only have pulled this off by the rest of the right wing war monger voters.

August 14, 2007 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  12. destardi, Chicago, IL

Van NY NY,

Ohh, riiiight, so you're saying the fact that the military bans progressive websites has nothing to do with adding to AMerican kids, being lured in by Military recruiters at lower-end malls in dead end American cities, already "ignorant" in the political realm, adding to ignorance has nothing to do with your assumptions?

Please. How many Republicans can back as Iraq vets and ran for office? Oh, I'm sorry...99.9% of them were Democrats.

August 14, 2007 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  13. Roger - Westchester, IL

Hillary – Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Let's not forget about your husband's attitude toward the Military when he was in office.

August 14, 2007 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  14. Courtenay, Jersey City, NJ

Pretty much ANY poitician is a liar, a thug, and will say/do whatever they have to do to get elected. Every single one of them resorts to smear campaigns in every partison. How many elections have you "voted for the lesser of the evils"?
    However, that doesn't mean her particular statements aren't true. I'm not even backing Clinton, but I think she merely said what most of America is thinking, and I'm glad she did. Someone needed to.

August 14, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  15. VanReuter NYNY

If you replaced, "Clinton", with, "Obama", many of the comments here would be considered racist and hate-speech, as they are about a woman, they are SEXIST and hate-speech.
    "The Clintons will try anything to smear anyone."..."Her attitude, deportment and message are offensive to me and I am a Democrat, a veteran and a prouid American…..many thisngs that the woman will never understand. Please, do us all a favor and remove yourself before you divide the party completely."...Hiliary Clinton is at best a cold, mean-spirited, ice queen. She hates the United States but would love to be its Queen. She is the worse that the US has to offer. I doubt you will put this on your blog"..."believes she is entitled to that anything she and her husband have done regardless of whether they fall within legal boundaries and will stop short of selling whatever may be left of her soul to get into the White House (again!)- we definitely need a change but she is not IT!."

Replace "Clinton", with "Obama". It's pretty scary, and would seem to do with MORE than just political differences.

Van

T

August 14, 2007 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  16. Berwyn Jones, Lincoln, Nebraska

Unless we have tons of money, or rabid right wingnut opinions, we are ALL invisible to The Idiot In The White House. This is the WORST President in the history of the Republic. Thank God there is a politician courageous enough to stand up to him.

August 14, 2007 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  17. Joe B, Wichita Falls TX

Hillary has struck a nerve! We all know Bush is a FAILED president and is just worried about his legacy...a legacy of death and destruction. 1/20/2009 can't come soon enough!

Go Hillary!!

August 14, 2007 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  18. Tom, Rochester NH

Senator Clinton is absolutely correct. This president has done NOTHING for the average Joe. 80% of the financial benefit of the Medicare RX program goes to pharmeceuticals.NOT to the elderly

August 14, 2007 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  19. Marty Klein, Lansing, KS

I find her comments about invisible military ironic. As a New York resident serving in the military, I e-mailed that Ill/Ark carpetbagger from my post in Kansas. Rather than considering that she also represents NYers serving in the military and responding appropriately, I received a chastisement to contact my own senator–in Kansas. Her husband left a trail of uncared for people in his wake, President Bush will as well, and so will the next president whoever he may be. It is a fact of life.

August 14, 2007 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. Dan, Columbia MD

She's right. They won't be invisible to the next President.

Rudy will see them. :-)

August 14, 2007 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  21. C.

Political humor for the few Americans left who can do Word Problems.
    Population of U.S.=300,000,000.
    # of Americans without Health Insurance= 46,000,000 (15%).
    # of Americans Living in Poverty = 37,000,000 (12%).
    Total # of all Active Duty U.S. Military = 1,500,000 (0.5%).
    # of Troops in Middle East = 300,000 (0.001%).
    # of Troops in Iraq = under 200,000 (0.0007%).
    Getting 100% of Americans to focus 99.999% of the discussion on the War = Priceless?

August 14, 2007 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  22. Gary, Lake in the Hills, Illinois

The logic of continuing to attack Bush when he is not eligible to run for president again escapes me! What new ideas does Hillary have anyway? She can avoid sharing them by attacking Bush but how does that positively impact her campaign. If that is leadership then let's find someone else to lead us!

August 14, 2007 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  23. Ed

Well if some people find this ad outrageous, then what can they say about 8 years of this administration?

One measly political ad was probably just too much to bear...

August 14, 2007 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  24. Kris, Phoenix Az

Hillary Clinton can not even keep her own house under control she can't be trusted with the fate of America. She will do anything to get publicity but everybody knows shes just a dumb carpetbagger then needs to move to French Canada so she can be with all her hippy liberal friends

August 14, 2007 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  25. Leonard, Mountain Home, AR

What happens if I am not a "single mom trying to find affordable child care", but rather a single dad trying to find affordable health care. I think that she should rephrase that to say Single Parent. As a single dad, I face more and more bias everyday. I have been turned down for programs that would have been able to help with child care, since I am not a Woman I dont qualify. I was prepared to vote for Senator Clinton, however I think this has swayed my opinion. thanks

August 14, 2007 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |