August 15th, 2007

White House calls Clinton ad 'outrageous,' 'absurd'

The White House responded to Clinton's first campaign ad Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush has repeatedly said he won't weigh in on the presidential race yet, but that didn't stop a White House spokesperson from calling Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's first campaign ad "outrageous."

The ad, which started running in Iowa Tuesday, shows Clinton at a recent campaign rally saying, "If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too."

She is also seen saying the president treats the troops in "Iraq and Afghanistan as though they were invisible as well."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying "This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost." (Related video: The politics of healthcare)

"As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing," Perino added.

The Clinton campaign seemed delighted the White House highlighted the ad, immediately flagging Perino's comments on its Web site with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Clinton herself shot back at the Perino's comments while campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," she said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Peter Klokow, Canton, Georgia

I am a 71-year-old senior and know from my own experience that President Bush helped the pharmaceutical industry to make larger profits at taxpayer’s expense and without significantly lowering costs for seniors.

August 14, 2007 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  2. Ryan H.

Terrible Ad!!!

Pandering. Telling people what they want to hear. Not only is she lying through her teeth, she is all talk.

No member of the "DO NOTHING CONGRESS" we have had over the last several years deserves re-election, let alone the presidency. Clinton...Biden... Edwards...Obama...McCain...none of 'em.

It is scary that people actually take Hillary and her lies seriously.

August 14, 2007 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  3. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

No one tell Bush the truth, but Hillary did. White House still has the mouth to open? Hillary is the best, she will lead our Country to the right direction. Hillary, keep it up, we will support you and you will be the 44th President of The United States of America. Hillary, you are my Girl, our Girl and American's Girl.

August 14, 2007 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  4. Glenda, McEwen, TN

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!
    They don't want the spotlight shined on the truth.

August 14, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  5. Randy, Long Beach, CA

Well, she believes it until the polls tells her to change her beliefs. I've yet to be shown anything which suggests Sen. Clinton has any integrity.

August 14, 2007 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  6. Simon

They never said the statements weren't true, though...

August 14, 2007 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  7. E. Coleman

Hillary Clinton is a DISGRACE to this Nation. She is NOT FIT to be President. Hillary works on 'Hormonal Power,'and certainly NOT Intelligence. She will NEVER be a Stateswoman; she has NO Grace, NO Elan, NO core Morality, and NO Respect for Others. This country will NEVER elect Hillary Clinton. Hillary is like a Female Bull in a China Shop!

August 14, 2007 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  8. borchard504

Cnn is the worst.

August 14, 2007 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  9. Linda, Wentzville, Missouri

I'm one of those senior citizens with medicare prescription drug coverage. Oddly, the coverage on various drugs is about the same for all the possible plans. I'm on a fixed income. With several chronic conditions. My medical cost eat up 67% of my income. Yet I don't qualify for additional help. Every time the White House talks about their prescription drug plan, I get angry all over again.

August 14, 2007 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  10. Jeff Roberts

It is amazing that Hillary, errrr....her campaign, has adapted so well to taking any chance to "explaing her position" errr "finding an opportunity to be relevant". Oh I forgot, she has been in politics since ...well a long time before I was born...

Where is the candidate for the people? Looking at the Dems and Reps, well so far same old same old ....but she is a cute (as she likes to say) girl. But back to the point, she is not even offering a return to her "husbands" days

August 14, 2007 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  11. Tomara, Washington, D.C.

I think that Hillary is a great woman and i would love to see a woman become president in my lifetime...

August 14, 2007 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  12. Mike, Fairfax, Iowa

I do not agree with much that Hillary says, but she is right about soldiers being invisible to the President. He and his administration does not care about the individual soldier, especially if they are wounded.

I believe it was Congress that passed the bills to provide access to presciption drugs. Bush only signed it.

August 14, 2007 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  13. Dan, St. Paul, MN

When last seen, President Bush wasn't running for reelection. I wonder why the ad was aimed at him, rather than at possible Republican opponents?

August 14, 2007 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  14. Brian, Bethesda, MD

The Clintons have a good lot to contribute to our current predicament. As if it wasn't bad enough that they built up the stock market bubble, they also dropped the ball for 8 long years whilst Bin Laden's men trained, planned, and began maneuvering themselves into position for that fate filled day. It takes a lot of nerve.

August 14, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  15. Saul Braverman Westminster Maryland

Bravo, bravo, keep it up girl we are right behind you all the way

August 14, 2007 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  16. Robert, Hollywood, FL

Hillary, your right you are our GIRL!

August 14, 2007 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  17. Howard Quoos

I am a disabled American who worked for 26 years. I waited, and with a hearing,it took two years to get into a program that I was supported for 26 years of my life. Medicare took another year to kick in after that. After all that wait I was told by my supplemental insurance provider that my prescription would cost me $700 a month. Thats after all medicare co-pays.Yeah,the system is broken.However Hillary, your old man did as much to fix the problem as the current president has.Business as usual. Election time, let's talk about the issue's. Become elected. Do nothing!

August 14, 2007 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  18. Pam Wilms, Midlothian, VA

After reading many of the comments I see that Hillary Clinton really has struck a nerve. I am married to a high school teacher in the public school system. I know he and his 'bottom feeder' salary are invisible to President Bush.

August 14, 2007 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  19. Renee, Washington, DC

Wow. I might actually consider voting for her now. I thought she was nothing but a corporate Democrat, a stone's throw away from being a Bushie playing in the brush and Googling images of the ranch in TX. She actually has something real to say and, for the first time, she's not some motley, apologetic political douchebag. I'm impressed. I thought she was a loser.

August 14, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  20. Tom, Virginia Beach Virginia

Hillary is right on! The Republican machine has been destroyed by Bush. The low numbers for the Republican candidate in the 08 election will be Bushes going away present to the Republican Party.

August 14, 2007 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  21. Ryan, Overland Park KS

As a member of the democratic party I am appalled that a candidate has put forth an add attacking someone they are not even running against. I despise any ads that attack others but I believe this is a new low. To me, attacking others means you have nothing good to say about yourself.

August 14, 2007 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  22. Yvan,Indio,CA

How dare you telling the true to the American People!! Can't do that! The Republican Party made a habit to telling lies and morel lies for the past six years.This administration is upset of Hillary telling the true to the American People. Rove may be gone,but we have to keep deceiveness ,and lies on the menu for all time sake! Legacy, Legacy!

August 14, 2007 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  23. Daniel Strauss, Daggett, MI

PATHETIC. I am not a democrat or republican and I think quite frankly they all are terrible.
    Time to flush this system of them all. Get some of the best business minds, educators, bankers, etc... and have them start the AMERICAN PARTY.
    She touts health care, she couldn't get it done for 8 years when her husband was President, what makes you think she can do it now. Show us the plan, then we can think about how it effects us. Are you willing to pay 2% more in Federal Income Tax so all Americans have free health care? Can you cap lawsuits on the Medical Profession so insurance companies don't inflate our premiums? Too many Americans want a free ride at someone else's (OTHER AMERICANS) expense.

August 14, 2007 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  24. D. Phillips

I sure wish that "Hillary" would become "invisable"- -it would save a heck of a lot of headaches!

August 15, 2007 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  25. Ted, Washington DC

so I guess Karl Rove didn't quit – he just started working for someone else...

August 15, 2007 12:02 am at 12:02 am |