August 15th, 2007

White House calls Clinton ad 'outrageous,' 'absurd'

The White House responded to Clinton's first campaign ad Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush has repeatedly said he won't weigh in on the presidential race yet, but that didn't stop a White House spokesperson from calling Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's first campaign ad "outrageous."

The ad, which started running in Iowa Tuesday, shows Clinton at a recent campaign rally saying, "If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too."

She is also seen saying the president treats the troops in "Iraq and Afghanistan as though they were invisible as well."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying "This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost." (Related video: The politics of healthcare)

"As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing," Perino added.

The Clinton campaign seemed delighted the White House highlighted the ad, immediately flagging Perino's comments on its Web site with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Clinton herself shot back at the Perino's comments while campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," she said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Brian Ft. Mill, S.C.

Time to Vote for Another Lying Lawyer Crook that will promise everybody anything. We have had 1 Clinton, and I did not vote for him. I personally Think We Do Not Need Another Clinton!!
    Ask yourself, has anything gotten any better in the last 20 years??

August 15, 2007 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  2. Jonathan (Birmingham, AL)

The reason Hillary gets so much attention is because most people recognize (whether they realize it or not) that Hillary will be the next President of the United States. She's certainly the frontrunner right now.

Go Hillary!!!

August 15, 2007 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  3. RMM, Tampa, Florida

Apparently, and predictably, the truth hurts this renegade White House. Senator Clinton's ad is right on target. Keep speaking truth to power Hillary!

August 15, 2007 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  4. Jonathan, Dallas, Texas

It's so sad how radical right wing republicans will say ANYTHING to defend a president who, as a U.S. History Professor, I can say will go down as one of the worst presidents in history. For those of you you don't know much about presidential history, President U.S. Grant was a popular two term Republican president during his tenure. He was a civil war general, and veteran. President Bush isn't even popular (approval rating 33%) is not a veteran (daddy got him out of that one) and has NOTHING to show for his presidency. Well, President Grant died a drunk and broke and history later wrote him off as one of the nation's worst presidents. History will repeat itself on Dubya. It's History which gets the last word on a president's legacy, and if any of you die hard republicans think that our school's history books and college professors are going to honor President Bush as great president, you couldn't be more wrong and blind.

He will be so lucky if he is even remembered and regarded as an "average" president. Mediocracy is nothing to be proud of.

I'm just so tired of die hard republicans who still defend this useless president who has only damaged our national reputation abroad, has made us LESS secure in the eyes of our enemies, launched a war under false pretenses and has abused the constitution only second to Richard Nixon.

What is even more sad is that when he leaves office, he's not going to travel the world like Jimmy Carter to promote peace, he's not going to spend time in Africa working on fighting HIV and AIDS like Bill Clinton, he's just going to sit on his ranch in that village, called Crawford and reap all the oil benefits from deals he and his father made in the middle east. It's a disgrace and so is President Bush. The only comfort I have is term limitation and having to put up with the most inarticulate, irrational, moronic president of our time for 16 more months. I shall celebrate the day he and Dick Cheney leave Washington, along with the rest of their cronies.

...and as for Hillary? YOU GO!!!! First female president of our progressive democracy who also happens to have brains.

HILLARY IN 2008!!!!!!

August 15, 2007 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  5. Wendy, Goldsboro, NC

WHITE WATER??? You want to talk scandal, now there is a scandal...oh wait we can talk about that...her husband PARDONED everyone involved...

I guess Ignorance is bliss, but she is all for me the working Mom....riiiight

August 15, 2007 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  6. Lisa Hines, Melbourne FL

"White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying 'This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost.'"

I can state this is just not true. My retired parents hate Bush because of his stupid drug plan. When it was legal to order drugs from Canada (the exact same drugs that can be purchased in the US - another Bush lie), they had far more income than they do under Bush's pharmaceutical-lobby drug plan. I'm no Clinton fan, but Bush is a liar and a friend of the wealthy. He does not and has never cared for the working people of this country, except on election days.

August 15, 2007 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  7. Claire Lewis

Keep going Hillary,you are right on with your comments about Bush. Most of the US Citizens are "invisible" to this President (and I use the word "President" loosely when referring to him). He knows he is out of there so he continues this insane war and his attack on the American people as well. You would be hard pressed to find a citizen that agrees with his plans or the lack thereof. Hopefully, we will all survive the balance of his presidency. I am certain that some of our boys in Iraq will "not" survive this madman. God Bless America.

August 15, 2007 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  8. Jason, Leesburg, VA

I'll listen to Hillary when she has something to offer other than rhetoric. If she wants my vote, I'll need to know what she can do, not what she believes other people have done a poor job attempting.

Suggesting the administration believes these people to be "invisible" is just a slimy attempt to grab headlines.

Whoever gets my vote this election will be the candidate with the most substance without attempting to sling as much mud as is possible.

August 15, 2007 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  9. Michael, Gallatin, TN

Seems to me Sen. Clinton could save time and breath and just say that to this president everyone is invisible, except those who agree with him on everything.

August 15, 2007 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  10. Ann, Tampa, FL

Hillary's comments are right on target. I've believed all along that unless you're a billionare, you're invisible to the president. How can you people not see this?

August 15, 2007 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  11. Jay Tyne Longwood, FL

SURE he cares! Why then did he make getting drugs much more cheaply from Canada illegal? And why did he get Congress to include a no-bid clause in the health care bill which would have not only greatly lowered prescription drug costs to seniors, but helped reduce government spending which is what he claims he wants to do?

August 15, 2007 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  12. Drew Louisville, KY

Typical Clinton. I wouldnt vote for her if she was the only candidate on the ballot and I'm a democrat.

August 15, 2007 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  13. Paul, Miami, Florida

Bush lied about 9/11. If you look online at a documentary that has undisputable evidence, LooseChange2.com, you will see that no matter what is said by the current administration, it is probally a lie. I got out of the Army because as soon as Bush took office, the military started getting unusual missions that made no sense and were far more dangerous to us soliders. We are not scared to fight and die for our country, but it is always better to get the other guy to die for his country. But since our government is still trying to supply our troops with proper equipment, which is still second rate, we are loosing more and more good men and women because Bush wants to make his people richer. Doeas anyone remember Ragonomics. It's happing all over again. Instead of a cold war it's a war on terror. Maybe we need to pick our government like we pick a Jury.

August 15, 2007 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  14. WDRussell, East Liverpool, Ohio

You are right, James. There will be a lot of not-to-swifties out there talking about everything but the election.
    Now America needs the republicans to give up their wealthy worship and try to understand that the other 95% also live in this country.

August 15, 2007 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  15. Albert Pudims, Stratford, CT

Hillary did not strike a nerve as she claims, she lied, just like her husband has over the years. The Democrats feel any attack on the President, the VP, Haliburton, etc. is not only fair game, but gamemanship. In a way I hope she becomes President to feel the type of wrath she (and others) have recklessly imposed on the Executive Branch of our Government.

August 15, 2007 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  16. Newton, Chicago, IL

Of course she's right about Bush. But these people will be invisible to her as well. We need a democrat in the office, but we certainly don't need the Clintons again – especially the unexperienced one.

August 15, 2007 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  17. Jen, Winston-Salem, NC

Hillary is a joke. I feel for our country if she even gets close to our presidency.

August 15, 2007 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  18. steph columbus, ohio

Talk to a senior, talk to a single mother, talk to a member of the military if you don't think what she is saying is true!
    It is very American to speak the truth!!!

August 15, 2007 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  19. Anne, Chesapeake, VA

Go Hillary! Drive those Republicans OUT of the White House. Its time the truth is told! I am a citizen of the United Stated who is TIRED of being ignored by George and his friends. Run them out!!!

August 15, 2007 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  20. Aron Pittsfield,MA

The truth hurts!!! Anyone making under six figures is obviously not worth Bush's time. I think it is unconscionable that more members of Congress can't find the nerve to say such a thing. I'm not 100% for Hillary, but it will take the next five or six Presidents, with her attitude to put a dent in the mess Bush has made.

August 15, 2007 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  21. Kevin, Chesapeake, VA

What about the failure of Congress to generate a bill that is worthy of the American people? Bush may not be popular, but I wish the Democratic candidates would focus on what they will do as President rather than pointing fingers. Maybe she should learn from Kerry's 2004 failures

August 15, 2007 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  22. Heather, Gorham, Maine

I was invisible to Hillary Clinton. I am a single mother who is supporting her son on her own. My ex lives in New York and pays child support when it is convenient to him. When I e-mailed Senator Clinton about the issue, I received a message back saying that because I was not a resident iof New York, she would not help me. I still am having huge problems with the State of New York. If she can not control issues in her own state – how is she going to run a country? Now that she wants to become President – she suddenly becomes 'helpful' and is concerned for single mothers? I think not. It is political jargon at its best. Try as she may, she won't convince me.

August 15, 2007 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  23. Jessica, Rolling Meadows, IL

Well it's true. Name one person in the Bush administration that cares about me. I am single mother making less then $50,000.00 a year.
    Day care cost is outrageous and is unaffordable. But I have to pay, which measn some other bills go unpaid, which has ruin my good credit score. CNN I wonder who is running the engine that is driving your company. Because your discretion on reporting has been crappy lately on all fronts.

August 15, 2007 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  24. S. B. Stein E.B. NJ

Most of the White House's politics and much of their supportors advertisements and propaganda has been based on fear. If Senator Clinton can state what she sees as a problem and provide a good plan with some details for her solution, then it is better. If she, like others, continue with fear based ads, then she will prove to be little better than other people. I don't think that she is the best candidate that is out there, but she is one of the better ones. There is currently no candidate that I like well enough to support whole heartedly. I just wish it didn't take so much money to run of any of the elected offices (president, senator, representative).

August 15, 2007 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  25. Julie, Andover, MA

Oh Hillary, you need to go away. Funny how Bush is responsible for all the wrongs in the world. I believe healthcare has been a problem way before Bush took office. Let me think, now who was president before Bush, think, think, oh yeah, someone named Clinton. And I belive Hillary tried to reform healthcare, but alas could not. I suppose now she will, right? The only people she is going to help is the poor people who already get it for free, not someone like me who has to pay for it. Liberals, get off the couch, stop watching the view, go to work get educated about politics, stop believing everything you hear (i.e. global warming) and start becoming a productive member of society. You will be a better person for it.

August 15, 2007 08:58 am at 8:58 am |