August 15th, 2007

White House calls Clinton ad 'outrageous,' 'absurd'

The White House responded to Clinton's first campaign ad Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush has repeatedly said he won't weigh in on the presidential race yet, but that didn't stop a White House spokesperson from calling Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton's first campaign ad "outrageous."

The ad, which started running in Iowa Tuesday, shows Clinton at a recent campaign rally saying, "If you're a family that is struggling and you don't have health care, you are invisible to this president. If you're a single mom trying to find affordable child care so you can go to work, you're invisible too."

She is also seen saying the president treats the troops in "Iraq and Afghanistan as though they were invisible as well."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino sharply fired back to the Clinton's allegations Tuesday in a press conference, saying "This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost." (Related video: The politics of healthcare)

"As to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that is absurd and that it is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing," Perino added.

The Clinton campaign seemed delighted the White House highlighted the ad, immediately flagging Perino's comments on its Web site with the headline, "White House Attacks Hillary's New Ad."

Clinton herself shot back at the Perino's comments while campaigning in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

"Apparently I've struck a nerve, the White House just attacked me a few minutes ago," she said. "Not only have I said it and am saying it, I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Mike, Salt Lake, Utah

Hillary's latest attacks to gain attention to her campaign while taking advantage of the war through politicizing it for personal gain only serve to demonstrate what her real calling should be in life....a trench digger....who else could shovel so much with her mouth!

August 15, 2007 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. Frankie, New York, New York

Love the ad! Especially dedicated for those who claimed Hil had no fire in her belly!

President Hillary Clinton – love the sound and idea of that!

August 15, 2007 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  3. Patrick Henry Wilson

Perino, and the rest of the W.H.:

If the troops and people of this country aren't invisible to you, then why are the troops still in Iraq after at least 2 attempts to bring this war to a end it? If these were the sentiments of but a few men, I rest my case, however poll after poll shows that this war is not what the people want anymore, or you as the leader. So, again, if the troops and people of this country aren't invisible to you, then why does the war the rage on?

Please answer me those questions, and I will be happy.

Sincerely,

August 15, 2007 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  4. Percy Goode, Atlanta Georgia

Well played Madam President Elect

August 15, 2007 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  5. Jorge, Dayton, OH

Why is Hillary running attack ads as if George Bush was running for pesident again?

August 15, 2007 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  6. Elizabeth Mroczkowski, Walden NY

This is a typical Clinton remark – does she think the average American doesn't know what she's up to? she and her husband have been the most scandalous in the nation begining with his extramarital affairs when in Arkansas government and the two of them involved in the real estate scandal for which everyone remarkably had amnesia to Foster's suicide and the missing documents in the White House. How dare she accuse this President of any wrong doing?

August 15, 2007 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  7. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

Independent white males for Hillary! Go get 'em!

August 15, 2007 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  8. A2

Come on Hillary, who are you kidding, we all know you don't believe in anything!

August 15, 2007 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  9. John, Boston, MA

The only major mistake that Bush has made is to invade Iraq without enough consideration. Otherwise, he's done a fine job. Although we do want to get out of Iraq as soon as possible, remember that many Republicans are just as eager to get out as anybody. Give Guliani or Romney. It would be a grave mistake to elect someone like Clinton. Even Obama is preferable. Clinton will do a lot of damage with her protectionist, socialist-leaning, welfare state agenda.

August 15, 2007 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  10. Sally Sue, Pensacola, FL

You people are a bunch of fruits, nuts and flakes.

I hope she makes more commercials that hit a nerve in the white house and the republican party.

If we can survive the MESS Bush Jr has gotten all of us in, we surely can survive Hillary!! I'm for Obama but if he is not the chosen one then I will suriously consider voting for Hillary. She's no Bill but I wouldn't want her to be.

Bush is the worst prez we have ever had, it appears you knuckle heads would prefer keeping him or someone just like him in the office.

Grow up...it's time for the middle class to be helped, the rich have received enough money through this administrations dealings and laws.

Guess what..it will not be the republicans that will do anything to help the middle class. They have had 8 years and nothing, now they are concerned about the long suffering middle class. Give me a break, Repubs you will loose control after November, 2008 get use to it!!!!

August 15, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  11. Lynnsie, Richmond, Virginia

Reading the comments on this article is very enlightening and details the lack of critical thinking being done by individuals in this country.

All of you know Politicians are liars. How can you expect them to be the bastions of goodness and morality?

Our current President, more so than any other President, is the anti-thesis of progress. Our constitutional freedoms have been compromised, scientific progress has been halted, consumer safety has been jeopardized, diplomatic relations with other nations are poor, the economy is in crisis, and I could go and on.

The wealth and morality of this society are disproportionate. Middle class and poor people are facing a grim future. There is also the matter of a huge segment of society getting ready to retire.

I cannot help think that the Iraq War is nothing but a haven for Baby Boomers to protect their retirement. The Iraq War is a never ending war that seems to be perpetuated by the affairs of current government. How uncanny? The population of the U.S. is continuing to grow. How can the government support all of these people?

The Iraq War smells of Vietnam and I wasn't even born until after that but it seems all too realistic that this war is a great way for the government to decrease the populace since no one is really solving the social security issue.

Clinton is highlighting issues but I want resolutions. I want plans. I am waiting for a politician to openly declare their plan in detail and have it challenged.

But we know this is never going to happen, no candidate is going to go against the grain.

It's up to us to stop the stupidity that is our government. If this country and its government is "for the people, by the people" then we need to get off our lazy butts and rebuild the infrastructure of this country. It's old, and we need a secular nation that respects all people and religions. This country's government is inept, biased, corrupt, and jaded!

If we worked together as nation, the people, as a whole, I imagine would accomplish something great.

August 15, 2007 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  12. Barabas, Hot City, TX

Ahhhhh, she's already starting with the negative campaign ads. I would expect that from Hillary. You only start to talk bad about other people when you have nothing good to say about yourself.

August 15, 2007 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. Lisa, Lake in the Hills, IL

Hey "Jessica" – do everyone a favor and stop using the word "constitutional" without qualifying statements as to what you are talking about. I agree with the posting that stated that whichever party is seated is crooked and self-satisfying. However, in the same breath, I will also say that it is very easy (and not directed at anyone in particular) to sit and criticize the current administration for their policies and practicies. No decision is going to work for everyone, and every president throughout history has fought a losing battle to satisfy the armchair quarterbacks that sound off and dial in on their ethics, priorities, and personalities.

August 15, 2007 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  14. mil wife, Florida

This outrages me as my husband was in Iraq trying to get Ms. Clinton around the theatre without disrupting troop helo movement and she was too happy to place them in Humvee's as "It's their Job.." I will save my colorful words to preserve my class.

August 15, 2007 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  15. Josh

Regarding Clinton's ad, she is pretty much correct, but there is no reason to run this ad other than to further divide America, which by reading these posts has clearly happened. That is the main reason I don't like Clinton. She is so focused on dividing – dividing Democrats from Republicans, and even dividing Democrats. You can differentiate yourself from other candidates without attacking and dividing.

Regarding the White House's response. They didn't respond to the child care thing. They didn't really rebuke the healthcare thing – they only diverted attention to the lowered cost for seniors' prescription drugs (which isn't really true anyway). And about the troops they pretty much said, "Of course we care about the troops that are dying because we sent them there for no reason and now they can't get healthcare when they come back stateside."

August 15, 2007 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  16. mike e. cooney pt.place,ohio

slick willys partner in crime is so delusional as to be a laugh!giant tax increases ,illigals voting dim-o-rat,so much wasted spending,earmarks for politicians own buildings they own,etc.clinton is a criminal as are most dumb-o-rats!40 million aborted people filling landfills and the demo-o-pigs are understanding of morality?! NO WAY JOSE!!!

August 15, 2007 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  17. Bill, Champaign Illinois

Hilary Clinton ought to be ashamed of herself. No wait a minute Queen Hilary doesn't think she has done anything wrong. She is so ignorant that I can't believe that anyone in America could possibly be thinking of voting for her. Give me a break.

August 15, 2007 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  18. Jenn Amherst, NY

So funny that if anyone else played politics with the White House, everyone would be like 'Yeah, well, that's how it's done.'... as soon as you get a woman up there doing it, the things people say are far different.

Listen people...wake up. It's time for a new and better era with a strong woman as president!! GO HILLARY!

HILLARY '08! :)

August 15, 2007 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  19. Millie Bee, Baltimore Maryland

It seems to me that the American people were pretty invisible to the Clintons during Monicagate- their attention wasn't on the American people but on saving themselves. It also occurrs to me that if Bill had not had the narcissim to believe that his mere personality could heal all the wounds of the world he might not have stripped our intelligence agencies bare so we might have had better intelligence pre-9/11. Oh it occurs to me that I haven't asked yet if Hillary has publicly reported her earmarks yet. These people offend me with their smugness and double standards. There is the Clinton truth and if it isn't the Clinton truth- it is wrong. I do not want the first woman president of the United States to be Hillary Clinton. I have waited this long- I can wait for the right one.

August 15, 2007 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  20. Susanna Szilard, Raleigh, NC

Maybe SHE believes it, but WE don't believe a word she is saying. How can we when every word she utters is a lie or fabrication and distortion of the truth? Also, has anyone ever suggested that Hillary take some voice/speech lessons? I can't stand that shrill, uncultured "washer-woman" (my apologies to washer-women) yelling of hers. It reminds me of those horrible communist women in the Stalinist / Bolshevik government. Good day.

August 15, 2007 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  21. Josh

VanReuter,

I was wondering if that was really your comment. I thought maybe you had gone over to the dark side.

August 15, 2007 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  22. greg, houston

I don't see why folks are complaining about the Clinton ad. Most have never seen it. Besides, It is probably no worse than the ads the Replubicans run against any of thier opponents, especially when they think the are loosing.

It's just politics. Besides, Bush said himself he is in a coccoon. Everybody els is invisible to him and his henchmen.

August 15, 2007 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  23. Debbie, Barnegat, NJ

Whether Republican or Democrat, I think that the comments from "H" about the troops is totally unacceptable of what should be stated in public about the troops. What type of moral does this bring to our troops? (And she thinks she is helping them?) I agree we need change, but "H" is not the person we need. We need someone honest (if they actually exist) and someone who is actually for the people. Yea, she's for the middle class people? How do you think she is funding that huge house of hers in NY? Out of her pocket or the taxpayers? "H" has alot of baggage that should not be dragged into the White House. Alot of the problems with our country that has been brought up in previous messages have been our problems for many years, not just with this administration so let's tell it like it is, these things go way back to other administrations (including B Clinton's). I'm not a great fan of Bush and we need a change but if we are going to point fingers, then at least point them to all involved in allowing these problems to go on.

August 15, 2007 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  24. Rick, Buffalo, NY

Typical Clinton – state the absurd and then claim the other party is acting foolishly.

However it's understandable, as Bill has publically demonstrated difficulty with the meaning and inference of words during his impeachment proceedings.

August 15, 2007 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. María Soledad Cervantes Ramírez, Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

I am Mexican, but if I were USAmerican and had to choose, I'd vote for Clinton as she gives me the impression she does not let Machiavellian interests micromanage her as it is indeed the case of George W. Bush.
    As a side note, those Machiavellian interests from the U.S. manifested themselves in our own 2006 Presidential elections, that were smudged U.S. Demorrepublican style. Our unity was damaged, we were polarized.
    And yes, I believe this Bush only sees the haves and have-mores. They're his base, remember? Since the Vietnam war, the U.S. people has had to endure a war economy, which continues 'till now. There's no need for that war economy. But common needy people in the U.S. and troops in Iraq will be invisible to Bush as long as elite corporate/neocon interests are served. That's unconscionable on the part of a president who pledged "accountability" in his own government.

August 15, 2007 10:08 am at 10:08 am |