August 16th, 2007

Biden's son to be deployed to Iraq

Biden said his son will be deployed to Iraq.

(CNN) – Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden told a crowd at the Iowa State Fair Thursday that his son will be deployed to Iraq.

Beau Biden, Delaware’s attorney general, is a captain in the Army National Guard. His unit has been notified that it should be prepared to deploy in 2008.

“He’ll go…I don’t want him going,” the Delaware senator told the crowd. “But I don’t want my grandsons or granddaughters going back in 15 years. So how we leave makes a big difference.”

The Delaware senator’s son was in attendance as Biden addressed the crowd in Des Moines.

Republican presidential candidates John McCain and Duncan Hunter also have sons who have either served or have been called for duty in Iraq.

UPDATE: The Biden campaign tells CNN his son’s unit was placed on the activated list 2-3 weeks ago. There is no firm date for him to report yet.

UPDATE II: Delaware National Guard's Col. Len Gratteri confirms to CNN that Sen. Joe Biden's son, military lawyer Beau Biden, is scheduled to be deployed to Iraq in the early months of 2008.

Captain Biden is a Judge Advocate General in the 261st signal brigade of the Delaware National Guard.

Col. Gratteri was unsure of what kind of mission Biden would be doing, but said that his unit is preparing to deploy to Iraq.

– CNN's Mark Norman and Katy Byron

Filed under: Beau Biden • Joe Biden
  1. Steve, Houston TX

To Jon, Sacramento,

I have nothing to prove to you, but just so you know, I'm in the military and have served in Iraq. So who's the hat but no cows now huh? Shame on you for hiding behind your ancestors' military service in order to open your mouth and vomit stuff that you've read or heard about but have no real clue about because you never experienced them. Debating this issue with you is beneath my statue as a war veteran, man up and enlist or stick to other issues.

August 23, 2007 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  2. Steve, Houston TX

To Jon, Sacramento,

I'm an Iraq war veteran, who's the hat with no cows now huh?

August 23, 2007 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  3. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

Steve ~ Houston,

You have no credibility.

You've written pages of rebuttal (on this thread alone) yet never once did you offer you were in the military and served in Iraq. When it was specifically discussed about those not serving sharing a voice – you again never offered you had served.

In fact you wrote to Rich in NH,

"You mention your service in our military and I'm grateful for that, but I'm also grateful to people like Mike who support the troops by opposing a flawed and unwinnable war so the troops can come home from extended back-to-back deployments and the daily threat of unnecessary death. "

Why didn't you share with Rich you too had served?

What branch and base are you stationed in Houston, Steve? Where were you deployed in Iraq, when, and how long?

I have personal friends of mine serving in Iraq that I correspond with regularly. IF you served in Iraq:

1) What do the soldiers in Iraq call the chow-line?
    2) What is protocol if/when a call-out is made on an IED?

How sad your life must be to lie about being a soldier. You insult the GOOD men and women who put their lives in harms way.

August 23, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  4. Rich, Amherst NH

To Steve in Houston,

I don’t know how much more clearly I can state my position and yet you only want to reframe and restate my position to better align with your argument with statements like “your argument seems to be …” Unfortunately, with folks like you no definition nor justification will ever suffice. You certainly can include yourself in with all the other “do-over” types, who desperately continue to seek to absolve themselves from the ramification of tough choices, preferring instead to judge issues and others from the safe confines of your Monday morning armchair. My friend, that is not leadership and no one will ever follow or respect you because your prefer to waste your time and detract our energies finding chinks in the armor of those leaders – though admittedly fallible, still find the courage to take and live with those decisions that literally involve life and death of real people: Americans and civilians and non-combatants. And despite the all-knowing feedback from folks like you still and painfully fix bayonets and step out of the shadows and into the light.

I am certainly not a war monger, and recognize that no one ever wins a war of attrition in the traditional sense, but my interest is less in the war of today and more focused on the war of tomorrow – and rest assured, my friend, it will certainly come. For that war, I would readily trade many times our current dead (<4000) to ensure that other nations are less inclined to flex their muscle because they respect our military might and that we are a people with an iron will. Sadly, we have a history where the second tends to defeat the first. Bin Laden et al became emboldened to strike us and the free world because he rightly questioned our resolve and will to fight. After Somalia, where <25 dead Rangers directly led to our “redeployment” our credibility has never recovered. And those lessons and examples don’t end there, but we’d rather focus on words like “quagmire.”

Certainly, I respect everyone’s opinion – even when they are misinformed or simply wrong! ;) I choose to live in the real world and projecting our influence and way of life (I’m talking the rule of law and not the cultural benefits that Hollywood continues to export like Jerry Springer, etc.) makes our world safer by adopting common, peaceful practices that transcend backward-looking and violent cultures. But if you want to lock yourself away in your ivory tower … that is fine. Folks like me will continue to put my life on the line to ensure all your rights and privileges remain in tact, protecting you to say whatever you wish. But helping my efforts and those of my military brothers? Please don’t kid yourself – you’re NOT helping and as long as our ability to wage and win wars depends our national will and folks like you, then you bet I will not hesitate to point out that you and those of your ilk ain’t doing their share. You’ve been riding the “freedom wagon” with a ticket that was paid for by someone who went before you. This tradition might even require you to give back a little and climb down, place that sweaty yoke on your shoulders, and pull for others.

I sincerely wish you well. We will continue to have challenges and they will require that we all work together and retain our resolve – again, not so much for today, but more importantly for the world … and the conflicts of tomorrow.

FYI – I may deploy in December, leaving my family and taking a 50% pay cut from my civilian job and so these topics are not exercises in academic and theoretical discourse, they are very real and rest assured they are worth fighting for. Political Islam fascists is a growing threat to world order and one we can ignore at our peril. I for one refuse to ignore it now so that my kid or grandkid has to revisit an area, when we have the advantage today.

All the best and God bless America.

Rich

August 24, 2007 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. Steve, Houston, TX

To Rich NH,
    Unnecessarily a very long piece, especially when all your doing is being an agent of doom if we don’t keep up the fight…”but my interest is less in the war of today and more focused on the war of tomorrow – and rest assured, my friend, it will certainly come.” Trust me, there are very few Americans left that wouldn’t take that with a pinch of salt. More seriously, you seem to be one of those fellows who take this war in a very simplistic nature. Mind you, my problem is not with the war on terror per se, it is with the war in Iraq. Unfortunately, like many others, you seem to think that these two are mutually inclusive. The war on terror should have been fought in Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia where Al Qaida was based and the pilots of 9/11 originated. Iraq was a personal agenda that turned septic and the longer we fight there the deeper we dig-in with no end in sight.

“I choose to live in the real world and projecting our influence and way of life (I’m talking the rule of law and not the cultural benefits that Hollywood continues to export like Jerry Springer, etc.) makes our world safer by adopting common, peaceful practices that transcend backward-looking and violent cultures. “ It’s simplistic, even adolescent of you to fathom that there will come a day when the nation of Islam will embrace democracy and all values American, even worse is your notion of “projecting our influence and way of life.” Not all good things are American and the rest of the world knows it as well. Democracy and freedom mean different things to different people of the world so get off your American high horse in that aspect and stop trying to mix water with oil. Sadly, you portray in your piece the egotism and self-importance our foreign policy has depicted for the last 8 years, no one ever doubted our military and economic might, far from it, the people who attacked us in 9/11 only preyed on the very arrogance and haughtiness that your piece reeks of, the notion that we are untouchable by the horrors that millions others worldwide suffer on a daily basis, in other words, it was a wake up call to the fact that America is not an island and can be susceptible to pain.

Instead of waging wars in the name of “projecting our influence and way of life,” we should be, in my humble opinion, trying to revamp our foreign policy in a direction that is more amicable to the rest of the world, seeking allies where enemies abound and embracing the fact that the American way of life is NOT always the way of the rest of the world and the more we force our values on other people the more terrorists we create in the world so that sadly, as much as you and I loath the idea, my kids and your kids will be fighting today’s terrorists’ kids in the future. It’s a vicious cycle, and we are its biggest catalyst. Lets find and bring to justice our attackers of 9/11 in Afghanistan and Pakistan while protecting the homeland from further attack, (and creating them in Iraq and then having to fight them there doesn’t count), but beyond this call, let no other American make the ultimate sacrifice.

FYI: I might be deploying next summer on a second rotation, leaving behind my wife and daughter, unlike you though, I won’t be taking a pay cut, I live the military 24/7.

August 27, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |