August 16th, 2007

Clinton happy to give Rove 'heartburn'

Clinton said she feels 'lucky' to give Rove 'heartburn.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Senior White House aide Karl Rove has stepped up his attacks against Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton, and the New York Democrat said she couldn't be happier.

“I feel so lucky that I am now giving them such heartburn,” Clinton said Wednesday while campaigning in Iowa.

Clinton was referring to Rove's recent assertion on Rush Limbaugh's radio show that the New York senator was "fatally flawed," and would lose a general election match up because her negative favorability ratings are too high.

"She is going into the general election, depending on what poll you look at, with high 40s on the negative side and just below that on the positive side. There is nobody who has ever won the presidency who has started out in that position," said Rove, who is often referred to as "Bush's brain".

Clinton's campaign spokesman Phil Singer quickly took the opportunity to link Rove - one of the left's most despised figures - with Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

"It sounds like Karl Rove is writing Sen. Obama's talking points," Singer told CNN.

Obama has repeatedly made the argument he can unite the country better the Clinton can. He told the Washington Post Tuesday, "I think it is fair to say that I believe I can bring the country together more effectively than [Clinton] can."

UPDATE: Responding to the Clinton campaign's comments, Obama spokesman Bill Burton tells CNN, "I just don’t think voters are looking for four more years of scorched earth politics from their White House."

TIME.com: Rove's final retreat

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Karl Rove
  1. Tim, Chicago IL

God I HATE, absolutely HATE that Clinton is so smug to anger other people. She's so willing to give her enemies "heartburn" and to willingly throw abuse in their direction. She is the most polarizing candidate so far, and if she's elected, she will only drive our enemies further from us and most likely create new ones with her overbearing, "Im-out-to-prove-myself-because-im-a-woman-and-no-one-respects-me" attitude. She is the last thing our country needs right now. If you thought Bush was a divider, you haven't seen anything yet!

August 16, 2007 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. Claude, Mesa AZ

What does Barack Obama have to do with this? Stop it Phil Singer and CNN! You guys are weak.

August 16, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. Kevin, NH

How about Rove happy to push for Clinton's nomination because he knows what awaits on the other side.

August 16, 2007 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Speaking of heartburn, check THIS out:

"Not all were so pleased to see Clinton, whose husband never campaigned
    in Iowa and who remains divisive as a political figure in her own right.

Christie Vilsack, who with her husband, Tom, the former Iowa governor,
    was part of the Clinton entourage, spent much of the more than two-hour tour introducing the candidate to familiar voters. But when Vilsack tried to coax 87-year-old Roberta Hindman to come meet Clinton, the elderly woman snapped:
    "No way. She makes me sick." Another passerby loudly referred to Clinton
    as "the Antichrist," and a third man argued with Tom Vilsack about whether
    she would become president, telling him, "I can't stand her."

PRICELESS!!!

August 16, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. lavelle

Niiiiccceeee lol tit for tat thats the ol Clinton way. I think Obama has crossed party lines more the Clinton I'd agree with that. But When did Democrats and Republicans become sooo divided??? Well start with Bill Clinton and his years in office then go to George Bush. So lets go back to Clinton in 08 to get the same divided BS politics. Obama is the better candidate mainly becuase he's trying to bring America together. Last I checked Republicans and Democrats were 'AMERICANS' so if you like divided politics and the same bickering and slandering government then you vote for Hillary. If you want a change and a level headed president, that is open to dialoge with the people and join Demorcrats and Republicans then Obama is your man! Dont read too far into the "Most Democratic" polls because those polls do not show Obama's national American Polls.

August 16, 2007 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  6. Elizabeth Fenimore

Rove's predictions were WRONG in 2006, when he said the Republicans were headed towards a decade of control in the house and senate.
    He continues to expound dolus dogma at the behest of the white house, no doubt.
    Is this all he has? Is this the best he's got?
    Again, I call for Rove to shut up and sit down unless he wants to answer questions already put to him – questions he's evaded time and time again.
    When are the American people going to be angry enough to DEMAND answers?
    How many more dead Americans will it take for us to stand up and demand accountability?

August 16, 2007 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. Elizabeth Fenimore

One more thing – this article refers to Rove as Bush's brain.

Is it clear now, to everyone, that Bush#2 really does not control anything?

I mean, he has no brain.

August 16, 2007 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  8. Chip Celina OH

Clinton happy to give Rove 'heartburn'

Yeah, he's not the only one she gives it to, maybe we'll need universal healthcare to cure universal heartburn.

On CNN's part, it's also disingenuous to rehash yesterday's comments by Rove and open the story with " Senior White House aide Karl Rove has stepped up his attacks against Democratic presidential frontrunner..."

Using the term 'stepped-up' makes it sound as if he had a comeback or said something in addition to what was said yesterday. It also paints the queen as the victim again for coming under a barrage of right-wing attacks. Neither is the case, she keeps bringing it up, and then her 'campaign spokesmen' spins it. Report the news, not yesterdays news.

Chip

August 16, 2007 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Pixie, Murfreesboro, TN

It seems to me people with CDS just aren't willing to give her a chance. It doesn't matter if she chooses X, Y, or Z, there will always be a large swath of vocal harpies (re: Bush 28% deadenders) who will dislike her and disapprove of her at every turn. I don't think we really have to worry about what Rove thinks anyhow, I remember how he "Looked at the Math" and predicted a GOP landslide in 2006. How's that workin for you Karl?

August 16, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  10. Matt Houston, Texas

Clinton can only spin things for so long...eventually she will had to take a side and she will fall flat Howard Dean style.

August 16, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  11. Barabas, Hot City, TX

I can't wait to see Hillary's face when she loses the primary. Better yet, I hope she gets the nod to run for President so I can see her announce that she is conceding defeat by the Republican candidate.

It's always sweeter to watch the egotistical, conceited, big headed, arrogant (I could go on) people get defeated.

August 16, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  12. Josh Maloney, Oakland, CA

Hillary Clinton is a mastermind if she is getting Karl Rove's atention. Go Hillary !

August 16, 2007 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. Megan, San Diego, California

I say good for Hillary. The Bush administration has been one of the most corrupt and divisive that this country has seen in years. If 'heartburn' is all that Rove is getting, he is one lucky guy. The 'fatally flawed' policies are that of the Bush administration.

Rove is just trying to make the Democratic party look worse than what Bush and people like him have brought the Republican party down to.

I am glad that Rove was "Bush's Brain," though you would think that people in his administration could have taught him to speak proper English.

August 16, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

The Rovester is a clever junk-mailer from Texas with questionable taste in friends, but he's spot on about HRC. She is at least "majorly flawed", inauthentic, divisive, shrill and unelectable, as her handlers and Bubba well know. Cast my vote for Rudy.

August 16, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  15. Henry Tucker, GA

Unfortunately, Hil, 48% of Americans get heartburn thinking of you as President. It will never happen.

August 16, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  16. THE TEERS, Pearland Texas

The nation has been denied a president who thinks on his OR HER own and works to help our NATION grow instead of our nations' DEBT grow! Once I used to vote Republican, but then I realized how they only HELP THEMSELVES instead of helping the American people prosper. I dont want Obama, but I do want a democrat in office and if it is Hilary then so be it.

August 16, 2007 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  17. E. Nicholson, Columbia, TN

For those who believe Hillary is good for this country, read of the activity of both Bill and Hillary Clinton. Bill and Democratic funding organizations are alleged to have received massive contributions for allowing our secret military, nuclear, and missile technology to be given or sold to China, resulting in their gaining the ability to hit the U.S.A. with a nuclear missile:

Was this either bribery or treasonous behavior? You be the judge! Why did the media hush all of this up?

Also included are allegations of serious illegal campaign contributions to Hillary Clinton, some acknowledged by the entity that was receiving them!
    Again, read it and you be the judge!

Then consider Hillary's heath care package. I have been told that it contained a provision that everyone in the U.S.A. would be issued a health care card, and that it would be a felony not to have it on your person at all times. Thus, it was, in effect, a National I.D. card! Note that I have not personally researched this.

August 16, 2007 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. Uma, mpls, MN

It is interesting to read comment of Carl Rove and Obama at the same time. I solute Hillary for your tughness towards extreme right wing and left wing.

August 16, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. Dave, Miramar Beach Fl

The Bush, and the Republicans are so hated by most Americans right now it makes no difference who the Democratic ticket is. But if it is Hillary/ Obama , I welcome the republicans to go after Hillary, because they will bring up the 8 Bill Clinton years in office which most Americans remember that America was in far better shape, than 8 years of G W Bush and Dick Cheney. What were the gas prices when Clinton left office? New Orleans would have been taken care of under Clinton, unlike Bush who does not even care. If New Orleans is the example of the Bush Administration's helping Americans out. Really fear what they will do if something worse happens to your city.I think Karl Rove will be spending time in Jail along with G W Bush, and Dick Cheney when they face war crimes charges in Late 09.

August 16, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Connie, Tn.

She is certainly showing she can take anything the Repugs sling at her.

August 16, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. Anonymous

She's quite happy giving America heart burn too..

August 16, 2007 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Couldn't have said it better myself, Anonymous", unfortunately we will have to put up with her a little longer.

Fortunately, we won't have to put up with her anymore after the general election!

August 16, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. RA Las Vegas, NV

This comment may create some Clinton heartburn!

The Clinton family in the White House again! YEEKS!!! I have heartburn already. Such reality is a disaster waiting to happen! Liken to a nuclear explosion. I will vote in the heart of a nuclear explosion over the Clinton’s back in the White House any day of the week! Those corrupted families are likened as vultures’.

August 16, 2007 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  24. Alex Badme, Albuquerque, NM

Happy to Antagonize
    Happy to berate

Yep she'll bring this together.

The great Divider. Vote for the GREAT Hillary. 4 more years of hatred, fighting and misery

August 16, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  25. hawk,Texas

why don't all you r.n.c. blogers that post here go play in the freeway.

August 16, 2007 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |