August 16th, 2007

Clinton happy to give Rove 'heartburn'

Clinton said she feels 'lucky' to give Rove 'heartburn.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Senior White House aide Karl Rove has stepped up his attacks against Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton, and the New York Democrat said she couldn't be happier.

“I feel so lucky that I am now giving them such heartburn,” Clinton said Wednesday while campaigning in Iowa.

Clinton was referring to Rove's recent assertion on Rush Limbaugh's radio show that the New York senator was "fatally flawed," and would lose a general election match up because her negative favorability ratings are too high.

"She is going into the general election, depending on what poll you look at, with high 40s on the negative side and just below that on the positive side. There is nobody who has ever won the presidency who has started out in that position," said Rove, who is often referred to as "Bush's brain".

Clinton's campaign spokesman Phil Singer quickly took the opportunity to link Rove - one of the left's most despised figures - with Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

"It sounds like Karl Rove is writing Sen. Obama's talking points," Singer told CNN.

Obama has repeatedly made the argument he can unite the country better the Clinton can. He told the Washington Post Tuesday, "I think it is fair to say that I believe I can bring the country together more effectively than [Clinton] can."

UPDATE: Responding to the Clinton campaign's comments, Obama spokesman Bill Burton tells CNN, "I just don’t think voters are looking for four more years of scorched earth politics from their White House."

TIME.com: Rove's final retreat

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Karl Rove
  1. Gary Penley

Send Hillary in, folks. Nominate her! She's the best thing that ever happened to the Republicans. I dislike Mrs. Clinton with a passion, but oh, how I hope she wins the Democratic nomination.
    A Republican.

August 16, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

To 'Tom" in Chicago . . . .
    Look up "masogeny" in Mr. Websters famous book. Your picture should be there!

August 16, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Ali A. Akbar, Fort Worth, Texas

Clinton really needs some new talking points. She never addressed the issue that over 40% of America Dislikes her.

August 16, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  4. Marsha, Portland, OR

I can't wait to see everyones face when she wins the primary! Guess all the anti-hillary commenters all this blog will have to start a new hobby.

August 16, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. Sarah R Eustis

Anything that gives the Rove, the RNC, Rush Limbaugh heartburn is a good, good thing. The likes of them have weakened our country and sickened our people.
    Hillary, "You go girl!"

August 16, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. Susan, Fort Pierce, Florida

I don't understand why all the dislike for Hillary! Wake up people. I for one would welcome another Clinton in the White House. She would make a great president! She would send Bill around the world as "ambasidor in chief" to undo the damage that the horrible Bush wackos have inflicted on the world. If there is one person on the planet that can mend fences, it is Bill Clinton. He left office as a respected world leader who knew how to lead. I just got through reading "Mastering the Presidency" by Nigel Hamilton. Clinton did a lot of good. Hillary will too!
    I would never vote for a Republican. They have trashed the country and made me ashamed to be an American. The Bush presidency as been one disaster after another!

August 16, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. Bill Both, Terrace, BC

Well, the Hillary haters are at it again. Their boy Dubya and his puppeteers Cheney and Rove have managed to screw up everything so badly that the right wing can't say anything positive at all.

No, they must demonize Hillary. One group is actually trying to investigate a connection between Hillary and space aliens at Roswell. Hey, maybe in another life she kidnapped the Lindbergh baby.

The American people have seen enough of right wing propaganda. They have seen enough of what right wingers have done to the Republican party and this country. They won't fall for it again.

August 16, 2007 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  8. pl, at the UN, for a while.

I am not American; I cannot vote; so I lol at what I see.

Is it not "outraging" that so many Americans wish for Ms Rodham Clinton become "invisible"?

August 16, 2007 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  9. Adam, San Francisco, CA

Mr. Rove ought to pay a quick visit to Google and dig up Arnold Schwarzenegger's negative numbers 6-8 months out from the CA gubernatorial special election. That would be 6-8 months before he clobbered Gray Davis.

August 16, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  10. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

It is not only Republicans that don't like Hillary, trust me.

I am an independent and many of my fellow posters here on this very "bi-partisan" message board are independents as well.

We call it like it is and we are convinced that Hillary Clinton would be the WORST possible person to take over the reigns of the presidency in 2009.

She is probably the most toxic candidate to ever run for the White House and I think it's safe to say that we need someone who can come in and unite this country at this point.

I personally believe that Giuliani and Obama are the best possibilities for this important task and I would not rate Hillary in the top 5 of all Democratic candidates.

August 16, 2007 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  11. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

I'm not a great fan of Hillary's. However, I'll give her some credit for learning about what works in the good ol' US of A. The Rovian "divide and conquer" strategy and its 51% voter goal will probably also work for Mrs. "C". You see, just like Rove, she is not interested in the other side. Given Bush's disasterous performance to tip the sales – White House workers are already constructing the "Hello Hillary" sign!

August 16, 2007 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. Mike . Long Island NY

Its funny how Tome below me there says she is smug.. but you say nothing about Carl Rove and his remarks. So you expect her to jsut sit back and say nothing which I find remarkable. Strong tough women intimidate some people and obviously you are one of them. Being a young married guy I welcome Clinton as a possible president. The fact that she is the smartest, most well informed candidate should be what you elect. To have the gaul to think she will be anywhere near the disastor that Bush as been is ridiculous

August 16, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. Bob, Oakland, CA

Since when did heartburn and a Republicans dream candidate for the Democrate go hand in hand. Sorry Mrs Clinton but your even more naieve then Mr Obama

August 16, 2007 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. Dave

It's simply. Rive is attacking Hillary because they know they can beat her in the General election. She will be used as a part of their plan to rally their base (which responds best when it can HATE someone..anyone..) Obama in the General would be harder for Rove to beat. He is not hated already by so many as Hillary. She is the easiest target. Just like Kerry she will lose cause they already have the ammo to use on her. She has been at this too long and is part of the problem. We need a serious World Leader right now like Obama. Be honest all, You can just look and listen to him and see he was born for this time and this place. Lets take the Blessing USA. We deserve it!!

August 16, 2007 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  15. Dave, Miramar Beach Fl

40% Americans hates Hillary, but 70% Americans hates Bush, and The American people kicked the GOP out of power in both House and Senate 9 months ago. Any of the Democrats could take the White House.

August 16, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  16. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

To "Greg" from Phoenix,

Come on buddy, you are about as independent as Alabama was in the Civil War

August 16, 2007 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. Dave, Oakland, CA

Obviously more independent then you since your capable of saying someone who gives 2 different parties candidates is not independent. On the other hand it can only be guessed that your a Clinton supporter since you didn't like the suggestion that Obama or Guiliani might unite this country

August 16, 2007 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Ora Titus, South Brunswick, NJ

Although, I personally feel that American's are not ready for a black president......we do need a breath of fresh air from the Bush and Clinton's era..........just plain ole tired of them and their stuff....can't trust any of them!

August 16, 2007 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  19. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

Dear Oakland Dave,

It is my humble opinion that Biden would make a better President than Rudy G or Barack O. Barack might be the guy of the future, but Rudy is definitely the guy of the past.

Rock oN!

August 16, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  20. Dave, Miramar Beach Fl

Karl Rove will be the next CEO of Haliburton. He is going with them out of the country so he can avoid going to jail for contempt charges. Just like a good republican, send American jobs oversea, they are so patriotic aren't they

August 16, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  21. Laura, Chicago, IL

I respect Hillary's tough attitude and smugness, because I think SHE thinks that's what she needs to do to show the American people that a woman can be President too. However, she won't have my vote until she clears the confusion on where she stands on the most important issues. Right now, she's just looking like a Kerry flip-flopper.

"Cable King"- Please stop attacking the people who post their opinions. And if you're going to, do it right. You spelled misogyny wrong.

August 16, 2007 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  22. Tim, Chicago IL

To Mike in Long Isle and Cable King. I'm calling it like it is. I welcome change in America, and would be the first person to vote a woman into office. If I felt she was the right candidate to unite this country. However, I feel, based on observations and the last few years of her being senator in my old home state, that HRC has the type of personality of a bulldog. She will come out swinging to every naysayer around. Which might get a knee jerk "go get em girl!" reaction from some, but for most, it is not the right way to handle things. Her throwing an attack back and being proud of pushing the republicans further away only supports it. Thank you. And Cable King, the name is Tim, not Tom.

August 16, 2007 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  23. Dave, Miramar Beach Fl

I am all for Independents, but they are just as responsible for this mess that America is in now as the Republicans. If it was not for Nader and Kathleen"I got my butt kicked in Florida during the Nov 06 election" Harris, this nightmare that America has been through most likely would have not happen.

August 16, 2007 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

Cable,

Don't mistake my EXTREME distrust for Hillary Clinton as my complete dedication to ANY political party.

You can check my voter ID, it plainly states "Independent."

I was born and raised in Arkansas and I think that makes me particularly well suited to have an opinion on Hillary Clinton. I distrust her more than any politician I have ever seen. I personally believe she is a toxic human being who would do nothing good for this country.

Additionally, check my previous comments for the part where I say that I believe Barack Obama has the potential (albeit not as much as Giuliani right now) to unite this country.

Lastly, I will NEVER be a Republican so long as the party panders so much to Christian conservative interests.

And I will NEVER be a Democrat because the party panders to ALL interests.

August 16, 2007 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  25. KW, Minneapolis, MN

I think all the men in this country are afraid that a woman can step up and run the country better than they can! I hope she gives LOTS of heartburn to the Bushies and GOP. Go Hillary!

August 16, 2007 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |