August 16th, 2007

Clinton happy to give Rove 'heartburn'

Clinton said she feels 'lucky' to give Rove 'heartburn.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Senior White House aide Karl Rove has stepped up his attacks against Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton, and the New York Democrat said she couldn't be happier.

“I feel so lucky that I am now giving them such heartburn,” Clinton said Wednesday while campaigning in Iowa.

Clinton was referring to Rove's recent assertion on Rush Limbaugh's radio show that the New York senator was "fatally flawed," and would lose a general election match up because her negative favorability ratings are too high.

"She is going into the general election, depending on what poll you look at, with high 40s on the negative side and just below that on the positive side. There is nobody who has ever won the presidency who has started out in that position," said Rove, who is often referred to as "Bush's brain".

Clinton's campaign spokesman Phil Singer quickly took the opportunity to link Rove - one of the left's most despised figures - with Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

"It sounds like Karl Rove is writing Sen. Obama's talking points," Singer told CNN.

Obama has repeatedly made the argument he can unite the country better the Clinton can. He told the Washington Post Tuesday, "I think it is fair to say that I believe I can bring the country together more effectively than [Clinton] can."

UPDATE: Responding to the Clinton campaign's comments, Obama spokesman Bill Burton tells CNN, "I just don’t think voters are looking for four more years of scorched earth politics from their White House."

TIME.com: Rove's final retreat

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Karl Rove
  1. Bill Both, Terrace, BC

There sure are a lot of "Daves" on this blog!!!

I have been a Republican all of my life, but I can't accept what the Cheneys and Roves have done to this party. It is no longer the party of Lincoln and TR. It is a party defined by hatred and elitism.

Rove knows that most Americans won't vote Republican because they hate gays or abortion anymore. He needs to give them something or someone else to hate. Since Hill is leading all the polls by a large margin, she is the target.

Oh, and for the woman who suggested that this is the first time Rove has gone after Hill, you need to do some serious googling.

August 16, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  2. Dave, Miramar Beach Fl

If you talk to a lot of NYFD, and NYPD, they will tell you another story about Rudy. Why do think Rudy never ran against Hillary even after 9/11.Hey it is good for Rudy because he is a Conservative Republican who believes in traditional republican family values by dumping his family, marrying his mistress,and having his own children hate him. His daughter is a Obama supporter, and his son hates his dad's guts. I will give him credit, if he gets nominated, the Pro life freaks will have no platform because Rudy is pro choice

August 16, 2007 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  3. EM, Greensboro, NC

How could Hilliary possibly be president and keep her eye on Bill and the Interns at the same time. Think about it.

August 16, 2007 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  4. Penelope, Plano, TX

I love Hillary Clinton-always loved her and her husband. She's great. I can't stand Rove.

August 16, 2007 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  5. Teresa Milazzo

I THINK THE ONLY REASON YOU DO NOT HILIARY CLINTON IS BECAUSE SHE SPEAKS HER MIND AND BECAUSE SHE CAN GIVE HEARTBURN TO THE YOUR GUY AND IF THAT BOTHERS HIM A LITTLE BIT WELL MAYBE HE SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT BECAUSE THAT JOB IS NOTHING BUT HEARTBURN HE WILL BE TAKING ALOT OF ZANTAC. THE ONLY REASON YOU AS YOU SAY HATE CLINTON IS BECAUSE SHE IS A FORMIABLE PERSON AND REALLY SPEAKS ABOUT THE ISSUES WHICH I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM ANYOTHERS. ALL I HEAR IS THE SAME OLD SONG AGAIN AND AGAIN.

I WILL DO THIS OR THAT WELL THIS OR THAT IS NO LONGER ANY GOOD LETS SEE SOME REAL ACTION LET ALL PUT THEIR MONEY WHERE THEIR MOUTH IS NO LIP SERVICE HERE REALLY DO THE DEED.

ALL I HAVE SEEN LATELY IS THAT PEOPLE OUT THERE DO NOT LIKE CLINTON BECAUSE OF THIS OR THAT WHAT ARE THEY REALLY AFRAID OF THAT FINALLY A WOMEN CAN STAND ON HER OWN AND DEAL WITH THE ISSUES AT HAND SHE TAKES AND DISHES IT BACK WHAT IS THE MATTER BOYS DON'T LIKE THAT DO YOU. AND AS FOR KARL ROVE I WISH WHEN HE LEAVES THE WHITE HOUSE HE TAKES BUSH WITH HIM TWO PEAS IN A POD BOTH STUPID AND ARROGRANT.

August 16, 2007 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  6. xtina - chicago IL

Is Hillary still talking about things that have nothing to do with what she has ACCOMMPLISHED that qualify her to be President. Oh– wait, she hasn't accommplished anything as a Senator.

August 16, 2007 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  7. Adrian

If you're in IOWA, please read take heed: Nominating a so-called "electable" candidate left us with John Kerry, whom no one was really thrilled about. Hillary is NOT electable and folks on Main St. cannot stand her. Let's nominate someone we are passionate about. Support and vote for BARACK OBAMA!

August 16, 2007 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  8. Cogitate

At this point in the campaign, it's all theater. Candidates throw scripted lines back and forth at each other, and we say "Did you see what (fill in name) said today!!??? Boy, wait until (fill in name)hears THAT one."
    The candidates would be much better off doing a talent show at this point. Hillary could tap dance, Obama could do magic tricks, Romney could sing opera, Giuliani could be a ventriloquist etc etc. More people would pay attention, it would be far more interesting, and the TV ratings would go up.

August 16, 2007 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  9. Bill Both, Terrace, BC

Actually, I am originally from NY and, as a Republican, voted for Lazio in 2000. I have to admit, even if she is a Yankee fan, that Hill has done a pretty good job as senator.

August 16, 2007 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. Myron, Honolulu, HI

You GO GIRL!

August 16, 2007 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Bobby G. Sarasota,Fl.

Poltics is a game--the winner gets to buckle down and try to steer our country out of harm's way and create more wealth for it's citizens.
    So all this political "he said she said" during the game, sadly, usually decides who wins. So put on your gloves and when the dust settles hopefully we will be saying "Madame President", because men have really screwed things up.

August 16, 2007 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  12. Phyllis, Sheridan, Mi

I don't know how she can get the country together when you try and email a question to her all you get is an automated email that she's too busy with her own state to answer you. Where do we go to get questions answered? Certainly not Washington. Boy are these politians out of reach of the American public.

August 16, 2007 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  13. Tom Dedham, Mass

"ALL I HAVE SEEN LATELY IS THAT PEOPLE OUT THERE DO NOT LIKE CLINTON BECAUSE OF THIS OR THAT WHAT ARE THEY REALLY AFRAID OF THAT FINALLY A WOMEN CAN STAND ON HER OWN"

I had to cut you off there Teresa, besides no commas in your sentences or your lack of how to use the "CAP LOCK" on your keyboard, Hillary could not "stand on her own" if you gave her 2 sets of legs.

She is living off of three things, a "crooked, lying, cheating, didn't do enough as President, but is somehow still loved husband", the constant hammering of an idiot President (who is not running again by the way) and lastly SOME of the populace that will vote for her just because she is a woman and it's time for one.

I am not voting for her because I think she is a lying, conniving, weak willed progressive masquerading as a moderate and masquerading in a phony arrangement with Bill.

I was politically against Geraldine Ferraro, but I respected her for her honesty and real compassion, much like Liz Dole and Shirley Chisolm.

If the Dems got behind Joe Biden who is easily their most qualified candidate, the Republicans would have a real problem.

Thankfully she will get the nomination and all the negative is going to come out again and ooops, the Republicans win again.

August 16, 2007 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  14. Pete

What's wrong with this picture? Why is Hillary so happy to have been attacked by Rove?

It appeared she revels in giving "heartburn" to the republicans.
    It's the same old mud-slinging, from someone who chooses NOT to display her "experience" and poise that we would expect from a, would-be, world leader.
    Today is just the icing on the cake that proves, to many Americans, that she CANNOT bring the country together.
    Her divisive, confrontational politics
    does not impress me, whatsoever.
    Barack Obama always displays class and always acts presidential.
    If elected, I am afrid that Hillary will to continue to battle that 'vast right-wing conspiracy', just like she did during her husbands's administration. So much for her interest and ability to unify America.

Her behavior reminds me of a little schoolgirl, "ya, you hit me, and I am going to hit you back".
    I am not sure I want my grand-daughter having her as a role model.

August 16, 2007 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  15. Ellen Murphy Silver Spring, MD

Hillary is a polarizing figure. She has high negatives and lots of baggage. And the republicans think she will be the easiest to beat.
    Nobody is "entitled" to be president.
    I really like Bill Richardson and Dennis Kucinich but they are "second-tier" and not annointed by the media.

August 16, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  16. Allen M., Highland Park, Illinois

Kudos to Hilary for immediately responding to their bull--. So far she is the only candidate who doesn't let them do lie repeat until people actually believe what they say. There is nothing about her which has not been investigated; better wait and see what Obama has going in the Chicago political scene.

August 16, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  17. Bill Both, Terrace, BC

Tom,

When you say Hillary is lying and conniving, what are you referring to specifically? As to being weak-willed, that's a new one on me. Most of her harshest critics suggest just the opposite.

As to Bubba, his main problem was that he...well, you know. He was reasonably effective as a president until his other problem got in the way.

As to Greg the former Razorback independent, what did Hillary do in Arkansas that you didn't like? Be specific.

August 16, 2007 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  18. Bronwyn NY,NY

Interesting that all those on this blog who vehemently oppose Clinton are men. Couldn't be that they are threatened by an intelligent strong woman could it

August 16, 2007 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  19. Myron, Honolulu, HI

Forget the issues, I just don’t see very many Americans voting for a candidate with the middle name “Hussein”.

August 16, 2007 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  20. Tim, El Cerrito, CA

I'm so glad Hillary is fighting back. I love how she stands up to the Republicans. Hillary is bright, capable, and articulate. She has the potential to do a lot of great things as President. I wish people would just lay off her, especially my fellow Democrats. I feel like they are in particular falling for the Republican talking points that she is "divisive."

August 16, 2007 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  21. Tim, Claremont, CA

I get the impression that Karl Rove and his admirers think that him being referred to as "Bush's brain" is a compliment. Figures he wouldn't get it...

August 16, 2007 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  22. David, Los Angeles, CA

40% of Americans hate Hillary Clinton...so what? Bush won the Presidency when most Americans voted for Gore, so call me crazy, but I think Hillary can win with the 60% of American's who DON'T hate her. Nice try though, Rove. Can't wait to watch Republicans faint after she wins!

August 17, 2007 05:04 am at 5:04 am |
  23. Chip Celina OH

David of Salinas lists some bills that look friendly to the American people with great intentions, most of which have simply been introduced, not passed into "law".

But, do a little research and find Sen. Clinton intoducing S.1705, the `Nuclear Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007'.

In it are the following 'highlights':
    Sec 3(4): Existing programs intended to secure, monitor, and reduce nuclear stockpiles, redirect nuclear scientists, and interdict nuclear smuggling have made substantial progress, but additional efforts are needed to reduce the threat of nuclear terrorism as much as possible.

Sec 4(2): the President should accelerate programs, requesting additional funding as appropriate, to prevent nuclear terrorism, including combating nuclear smuggling, securing and accounting for nuclear weapons, and eliminating, removing, or securing and accounting for formula quantities of strategic special nuclear material wherever such quantities may be;

Sec 5(a)Designation of Position- The President shall designate an individual to serve in the Executive Office of the President as the Senior Advisor to the President for the Prevention of Nuclear Terrorism.

Sec 8 AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
    a) There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of Energy for fiscal year 2008, $50,000,000–
    b) There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of Energy for fiscal year 2008, $40,000,000
    c) There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of State for fiscal year 2008, $10,000,000
    d) There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of Energy for fiscal year 2008, $100,000,000–
    d)2(e) There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of Energy for fiscal year 2008, $200,000,000 to assist the Government of Russia in enhancing its capacity to convert highly enriched uranium into low enriched uranium to allow additional highly enriched uranium in Russia to be converted into low enriched uranium appropriate for civil energy use and to increase the rate at which such conversion takes place.

Now, if you've taken the time to read this, you either think I'm lying, or things like the Patriot Act "Sec 4(2)" are not so distasteful to Sen. Clinton.

It appropriates 200,000,000 dollars in the US, AND 200,000,000 dollars in Russia.

Creates ANOTHER 'position' as an advisor to the president (hence another bureau).

I really think that 200,000,000 dollars she wants to send to Russia could be used much more productively here at home.

Of course, this is only the tip of the iceberg, not only Sen. Clinton, but he rest of our 'leaders' spend money on stupid stuff like this all the time. I wish all of them would take Hastert and Pryce's lead and resign, we need some new blood in Washington to get rid of stuff like this.

August 17, 2007 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  24. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

Thank You Again David Salinas.

And we should be so lucky if George Dubyah gave the world only heartburn!
    His list of bequeathed ills upon the world fills so many volumes there isn't enough ink, paper, or www space
    to publish them.

Hopefully George Dubyah isn't naive enough to belive that the world can't see through his feigned heartfelt sorrow regarding Rove's leaving! It doesn't take much gray matter to figure out why Rove is leaving. The outside can keep Rove, at least temporairly, a free man. And he can still be Dubyah's brain and run his interference even at a distance!

What is most pathethic is that George and Rove actually believe the world is blind to their follies!

August 17, 2007 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. Tricia M Charlottetown PEI

Additionally, check my previous comments for the part where I say that I believe Barack Obama has the potential (albeit not as much as Giuliani right now) to unite this country.
    Greg Phoenix, AZ

Please enlighten us on Giuliani's potential and experience as a Leader of a Nation. Of course if your not a Republican or Democrat I guess his potential or experience won't matter to you as you won't be voting.

August 17, 2007 10:34 am at 10:34 am |