August 16th, 2007

Mitt Romney wins Illinois straw poll

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney

(CNN)–Mitt Romney added another straw poll victory to his resume Thursday.

Illinois state Republican party chairman, Andy McKenna, said Romney won the Illinois Straw poll at the Illinois State Fair. "Congratulations to Mitt Romney, whose strong showing today indicates he has begun to put together a strong statewide organization," McKenna said. "There's no question that Illinois' demographics closely match those of the United States and this could be an indication as to whom Illinois voters are leaning toward this coming February."

Romney secured an overwhelming victory with 40.35 percent of the vote. Former Senator Fred Thompson, who is expected to formally enter the race for the GOP nomination next month, came in second with 19.96 percent of the vote.

The Illinois Republican party sponsored the straw poll during its Republican Day festivities at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield.

To be included, participate candidates were required to have participated in one of the previously held debates with other Republican candidates, or have polled above 5 percent in a national, independent poll.

Final results of Thursday's Illinois straw poll:

1. Mitt Romney – 40.35%

2. Fred Thompson – 19.96%

3. Ron Paul – 18.87%

4. Rudy Giuliani – 11.61%

5. John McCain – 4.12%

6. Mike Huckabee – 3.04%

7. Sam Brownback – 1.08%

8. Duncan Hunter – .65%

9. Tom Tancredo – .33%

–CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Related: Romney wins early vote

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. John Bunion, Okeana, Ohio

Congratulations Mitt. I think you can take Ohio too if you loosen up a bit. The Democrats have absolutely nothing to offer the American people except the redistribution of our hard earned dollars, attempting to look like they gave the average guy something. They are total phonies, and continue to present themselves as saviors of the masses when they are just the opposite.

August 17, 2007 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  2. JR, Alb NM

People straw polls ARE important in that they help create a "winners mentality". This is a common strategy in campaigning. The very fact that the press is reporting on this makes it important to any candidate, one more mention of Mitt's name and in a positive light as well. Name recognition is one of the biggest hurdles for anyone running against a Clinton or Giuliani. That makes the notable absence of Ron Paul's name appear rather suspicious. And seriously would all the Romney critics get off the Mormon train already? If we elect Catholics, Masons and members of Skull and Bones is this really an issue?

August 17, 2007 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  3. David, Salinas, CA

A few points:

Please stop the Mormon-bashing. I’m not religious and I certainly don’t support Mitt Romney, but I find these hateful comments about someone else’s faith to be decidedly un-American.

Please stop bashing scientific polling. (I am a scientist). Straw polls are not science. This doesn’t mean they aren’t meaningful, just that they show evidence of a candidate’s resources (human and/or financial) rather than overall support. Scientific polls are highly accurate measures of public opinion. Certainly they are fallible and certainly they have a margin of error, but they work. To not believe in them is to deny reality. This result doesn’t mean Ron Paul is in third place in the state of Illinois. It means he got 174 of his people to go to the fair.

Finally, I’d like to agree with the Ron Paul supporters on one point. (I’m certainly not one of you – I’d never vote Republican, and I think Libertarians don’t seem to live in the real world). This Illinois result isn’t a big win for Romney. But it’s a big loss for McCain and it’s a big win for Ron Paul. CNN should have mentioned that in the story and the mainstream media should be giving Ron Paul more coverage. He’s earned it.

August 17, 2007 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  4. Peggy, St. Petersburg, FL

I believe that these polls are rigged in the Mid-West or that all the Mormons voted before anybody else. Either way these polls are rigged.

August 17, 2007 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Michael Cole, Grand Rapids, Ohio

Baloney! Everyone with half a brain knows that Ron Paul won that poll. Why were the votes wisked away before anyone could review them? CNN should have called them on that instead of printing their propaganda lies. Want to know why you are pretty much irrelevant anymore CNN? Look at what you just did!

August 17, 2007 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  6. Eric Johnson, Dallas

Chris from Austin:

"If Ron Paul is still standing at that point…then I'll listen."

Wouldn't it be wise to listen first, then decide – not the other way around.

Kinda mak'n us Texans look bad aintcha.

August 17, 2007 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  7. Frank, Atlanta, GA

As a Dem who is tired of having Republicans in charge, I'm getting kind of worried about Ron Paul's momentum. Based on the midterm elections and current opinion polls, it's obvious that no pro-war candidate has even a slight chance of winning (which automatically eliminates all the Republicans except Ron Paul). The fact that many of my liberal friends say they would support Paul over Hillary also causes me concern. It reminds me of how many of my liberal friends crossed over to support Reagan almost 30 years ago except it seems they're crossing over much earlier in the game. The fact that Ron Paul was against the war from the beginning gives him a major advantage over Hillary and that fact he's a physician gives him credibility on health care as well. Don't get me wrong, I think Ron Paul is a rare type of politician with real integrity but I don't want another Republican in the Whitehouse. As long as the nomination goes to any of the other bozos on the Republican side, I feel safe saying that our next president will be a Democrat. So, Go Mitt! Go Rudy! Go Fred! Go [Anyone But Ron Paul]!

August 17, 2007 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  8. Evan Esteves, Boca Raton, FL

If you Ron Paul supporters vote Republican after Romney wins the nomination, you will all be hypocrites...I hope you guys have more sense than to fall for the trap! Support Ron Paul now, but don't go back to the party that doesn't care and/or listen to the issues you care about!

August 17, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  9. Liz, Providence, RI

It will be, in the end, Clinton v. Romney, two intelligent, educated, well-spoken, driven and accomplished candidates.

August 17, 2007 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  10. Jeff Clark Carol Stream IL

I was at both Iowa and Illinois straw polls.

Mitt won first place in both. In both straw polls the media did not uphold true journalism.

As in Iowa; yesterday Mitt had the best voters money could buy. Voters dropped off at the voting machines by bus after bus, Mitt won the straw poll.

The tax payers have seen this “formation” before. What will all these favors cost American taxpayers in the future? Will it be whitewater, oil, who is paying for these bus rides? Do not think for a minute that the taxpayers will not be paying for this type of politics? Taxpayers have seen the WARCHEST cost passed on before.

Ron Paul people get to the event on there own. Ron Paul continues to place in polls and gain support despite a media blackout and insults at every corner.

I am delighted with the claim Mitt is Ronald Reagan, Please Go with that! the bus fumes have really got to some of you.

The Ron Paul message appeals to people of all colors, religions and political affiliations.
    One thing for sure I can promise you all are going to have to deal with Ron Paul.

Keep up the cheap shots and media black out, I am only more inspired. America is ready for a fresh Ron Paul message.

Hey Mitt lovers, you better pray to God you do not miss the buss or run out of bribe money! Just wait until America hears the Ron Paul Message!

Ron Paul Straw Poll Results
    State........Percentage......Place
    Illinois (Aug.).....19........3rd
    Iowa (Aug.)..........9.....,..5th
    Georgia (July).....17.........2nd
    Utah (June)........5.4........2nd

The Ron Paul Revolution is ON !

August 17, 2007 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  11. RJ, Peoria, IL

I participated in the straw pole in Springfield and found it an enjoyable day. I appreciate those that work together positively to share ideas and build a better future. I grow tired of the bitterness that seems too common on this message board.

I find the comments about Mitt Romney bribing people to come very misguided. I took a day off work and drove on my own to vote. I also knew several others who rode a bus. I, as well as those I know on the bus, have donated to Mitt's campaign. I don't see it as Mitt paying for the bus. It's those of us supporting him who did. If hundreds of people are going to travel into the fair what better way to do it than come together? Mitt's campaign should be credited with being financially responsible with our donations. One bus uses less fuel than all of the individual cars that would have been required. Not to mention what it says about the commitment of the organizers and the stregth of the campaign

August 17, 2007 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  12. David, Salinas, CA

WHY I DON'T SUPPORT RON PAUL

I think Ron Paul is an honest man with the courage of his convictions. I think he’s right about the Iraq war and our failed drug policy. But I don’t want him to be President. Here’s why:

He’s for voluntary school prayer.

He supports “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy on gays in the military.

He voted against funding same-sex adoption.

He’s against universal health care.

He wants to withdraw from NATO and the United Nations.

He introduced the Sanctity of Life Act of 2005 which says human life as begins at conception and defines first-term abortions, stem-cell research and some fertility treatments as murder.

He introduced the We the People Act which would allow states to prohibit specific sexual practices, outlaw abortion, outlaw same-sex marriages and display religious text and imagery.

He wants to get rid of the IRS and the income tax, which might sound fun, but he wants to replace them with a national sales tax which would basically put a greater burden on poor and middle-class people.

So if that sounds good to you, stick with the movement. But if you thinks he’s just a cool dude with a facebook account who wants to bring the troops home, lower your taxes and let you get high in peace, do a little more research.

And if you really want to end the war... vote for a Democrat.

August 17, 2007 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  13. Brad Henson, Candler NC

I am one of the "fanatical" Ron Paul supporters, and I haven't been rude or obnoxious on any occasion. I've just been spreading the word. I've been insulted by the political Jerry Springer episodes... I mean campaign ads of recent years. I have come to the realization that politicians of both parties will tell us anything to get control of all the money they take from us. Step back and it should remind you of two children fighting over one toy they both want to play with. I can't believe that intelligent people of America buy into that. Democrat and Republican don't really mean anything to me any more. Reminds me of Ford vs. Chevy... they're different breeds of the same animal, but people are passionate about them. At the end of the day it doesn't mean a hill of beans (Chevy's and Fords get you back and forth to work, and politicians steal your money for your own good). I get to keep about half my income, and the government feels entitled to the rest, and I don't really have any say no matter who wins. I believe that if Ron Paul wins it will matter. Citizenry above party. That's what this country needs. The reason that he's not mentioned in mainstream media is that he is a grave threat to big government... I feel so passionate about this that if he doesn't get the Republican nomination I won't vote. The lesser of 2 evils is just that...evil. If everyone would get over the "party" nonsense and refuse to vote if there's no one worth voting for, maybe both parties would get a wake up call. Ron Paul is the only candidate that I truly believe in. If you buy into the crap that all the RP comments are from the same person, go watch some "Fair and Balanced" news. Don't drink the Kool-Aid, though (o.k., maybe a little rude and obnoxious).

August 17, 2007 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  14. Val Davydov, Agawam, MA

Congratulations to Mitt Romney! His victory is well earned – he is intelligent, devoted, professional, and focused – he will lead our nation in the right direction. Way to go Mitt.

August 17, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  15. Proud American, Sarasota FL

What is the deal with the poster for the FLIP FLOP team posting that same garbage over and over. Anyone can see that you are a paid stooge. The people he bused in were bought and paid for.
    The media and you justify why this country needs Ron Paul. The reaction of everyone that I talk to that doesn't know who Ron Paul is "I love this guy!". Google Ron Paul to find out why.

August 17, 2007 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  16. Jason, Mississippi State, MS

Well Jamie towing the party line again I see. We need a third independent media source that is not owned the 4 or so companies that own every other media company. Ron Paul comes from out of nowhere and basically ties for second and not even a peep! It's just un-American

August 18, 2007 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  17. NH, Manchester, NH

You forgot the most important state of all New Hampshire...where Ron got 65% and will win the Strafford Straw poll today.

Please check the Dail Paul for updates.

We in NH have had enough of Mitt.. He's a flip flopping smooth talking NON conservative.

August 18, 2007 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  18. startingtoday

I agree with Eddie, Beavercreek, Ohio.

I'm from Massachusetts. Mitt Romney does not do it for me. He didn't then. He won't now.

August 18, 2007 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  19. Steven Orrange, Georgetown, TX

Mitt Romney is not the great TAX cutter some are saying...He had his chance in 2001 to ELIMINATE the MASS STATE INCOME TAX. The Republican Administration was against it and so was tax cutting MITT. ( I keep waiting for Hannity or Ingraham to call him on this..they love this liberal so.) RON PAUL opposes the IRS and has NEVER EVER EVER voted to increase taxes. So, while Mitt is trying to cut taxes a whimpish few percent, Ron Paul is for abolishing the IRS. GO RON PAUL.

August 18, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  20. Scott, Columbus NE

Would just like to congratulate Ron Paul on his great showing in Illinois! We have some great Ron Paul support here in Nebraska and the grassroots movement is ever-growing! I haven't seen a sign in the state for any other candidates but you can sure spot the Ron Paul signs! Watch his videos!

August 18, 2007 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  21. Adam, St. Paul MN

The unrealistic quotes from Romney shill...I mean supporters comparing him to Reagan are funny.

August 18, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  22. Nick, Urbana IL

Congratulations to Ron Paul for winning the Alabama straw poll today (8/18/07) with over 80% of the vote.

August 18, 2007 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  23. Nick, Urbana IL

Congratulations to Ron Paul for winning the Stafford County, NH, straw poll, too, with over 70% of the vote.

August 18, 2007 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  24. Kelly, Coconut Creek FL

Mainstream media is quickly proving how irrelevant it really is! No reporting on Ron Paul coming in 3rd in Illinois AND winning the NH AND Alabama straw polls this weekend? Why the blackout? We volunteers for Paul are doing your work for you, informing the people about our candidate, there are more of us than there are of you all. We'll win in spite of you.

August 18, 2007 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  25. number9, pasadena, ca

the lamestream media’s gone mad, been mad for yonks… i hold the paper faces of the chosen ones to the floor, but every day the paperboy brings more. [a bit cynical roger, eh?]

everywhere i look, the lamestream media is howling about the tier 3 paul’s climb in the race for top dog of the u s of a; they lambaste against the mighty goliaths and their war chests which have come to naught. most disturbing is all of the media attention given to this, this, defender of that holier-than-thou piece of clinking, clanking, constitutional mishmash. who are these brick-n-mortar institutions that dare to hold up an icon that would restore individual freedom to live unencumbered by those who have amassed an infinite supply of carbon credits?

come along mitt and rudy: have a cigar, you’re gonna go far… they’re gonna love you.
    ann?!, michelle?!, rush?! …

August 19, 2007 12:58 am at 12:58 am |