August 17th, 2007

Michelle Obama embraces her husband's campaign

Watch Michelle Obama's speech Thursday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Michelle Obama told Iowa voters Thursday that her desire not to have her children grow up in a "fear" based society was enough for her to fully embrace her husband's quest for White House.

“The reason why I said yes was because I am tired of being afraid," she told voters at a campaign stop in Council Bluffs. "I am tired of living in a country where every decision that we’ve made over the last 10 years wasn’t for something but it was because people told us we have to fear something.”

“I am so tired of fear and I don’t want my girls to live in a country, in a world based on fear,” she added.

This is the latest insight Obama has given about supporting her husband's, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's, bid for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The senator's wife, who has taken on an important surrogate role in the campaign, appeared with him in this western Iowa town and introduced him to supporters.

“Whenever I get in front of an audience, I get pumped up because I’m very passionate about this race," she said. "I’m passionate about my husband in this race because I know that and I’m trying to convey to all of you that there is something very special about this man."

- CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Warren, CK

Seriously, no offense to anyone and I don't care if you do get offened because I didn't make the rules, BUT, there are reasons why the White House is called the White House. I assure you 1000000% that it is a waste of time and money for Obama. Sure, I agree it's a great cause, but you all have NO clue how our system really works. It won't change either. Again, no offense. I applaud you all for your dedication and great grammar.

August 17, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. RuthieM

GO GET 'EM, MRS. OBAMA!!! Keep up the great work for your husband.

August 17, 2007 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. cliff jones, honolulu hi

She is so right on this issue of governing by fear. I am tired of it also. This is suppose to be a free thinking democracy. The Bush Administration and the cohorts that put them into office have to be stripped of their power to intimidate.

August 17, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. Marsha, Portland, OR

Mrs. Obama was quoted as saying:

"She told a crowd of more than 200 people that family values and trust were important in the next presidential candidate.

“Our view is that if you can’t run your own house, you certainly can’t run the White House,” Mrs. Obama said."

A direct jab on Hillary's decision to stay with Bill?

Oh, why oh why, does anyone think that its there business to judge anyones personal life?

Shame on you Michelle.

I am so tired of a country full of divorcees voting for Presidents based on things like family values. Ugh...

August 17, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  5. MD

This person who posted some stuff about the "white house being called the white house implying for whitemen" is simply a defeatist even in his or her own life. these were the same kinds of people who said slavery was what it was and coulnt be stopped. the same people said same things about racial inequality. same people shamefully uses even Gods book ,the bible to justify their attrocities in USA and South Africa etc .

But today they all have been and will be proven wrong.

mr man, get a life and stop being defeatist in your life. what actually do you do in life? defeated with ilfe as well?

August 17, 2007 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. Ocala Florida

The list below represents "approved" presidential candidates. Recognize any of the names? What makes them "approved"? They are all members
    of the Council of Foreign Relations. This organization is hell-bent on destroying the sovereignty of the United States. Democrat or Republican, it makes no difference. The GOP is still supporting the Bush administration that is currently moving full speed ahead with the SPP program in Canada today. The SPP will move to to create the North American Union (NAU . US citizens would loose their Constitutionally given rights.This is TREASONOUS. If you really love this country, you must learn more about Ron Paul. He is our only hope.

Democrat CFR Candidates:
    Barack Obama
    Hillary Clinton
    John Edwards
    Chris Dodd

Bill Richardson
    Republican CFR Candidates:
    Mitt Romney
    Rudy Giuliani
    John McCain
    Fred Thompson
    Newt Gingrich

August 17, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  7. Ocala Florida

Why not compare Mr Obama's voting record to Ron Paul's !! Then you can really tell where he stands on the issues. Ron Paul has never voted to increase taxes, and has been against the genocide in Iraq since day one. Take a moment and research any GOP or Democratic candidates voting records for some real eye openers !!

August 17, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. Frank MA

My Dear Michelle,
    Being frightened and fearful all the time is living in a childish world. And making your "fears" the reason to vote for a particuolar person is childish nonsense. It's time to grow up and become an adult. No politician is going to wipe those personal fears away and make you courageous. You have to do that yourself by addressing your inner issues, like the rest of us do. It's time to grow up.

August 17, 2007 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  9. AA, ARIZONA

THIS IS TO: xtina chicago IL.

BARACK OBAMA IS FROM CHICAGO, IL,AND A POLITICIAN IN THE SAME STATE, WHO IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. YU RESIDE IN CHICAGO, IL AND YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS MAN. WELL, AS SOMEONE ALREADY HAS DONE, YOU CAN GET ALL YOU NEED RIGHT HERE: http://www.barackobama.com/index.php.
    YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY HE HAS NO EXPERIENCE, THEN GO TO THE ABOVE URL, AND GET A BRAIN-FULL!!!!!!

August 18, 2007 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  10. AA, ARIZONA

DEAR MR. Frank, MA.

DON'T MAKE ANY MORE COMMENT....PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 18, 2007 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  11. Pam A Summerside PEI

Michelle, Take a Lesson from Liz Edwards' Negative Publicity.
    Go home, bake cookies and keep quiet. Stand by your man with mouth closed except to smile.

The World doesn't want your or Liz's opinions. You are both making your husbands' look weak and needy. If you need to back your husbands' then America doesn't need them as Presidents.

August 18, 2007 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  12. Barry, Petersburg, VA

What a wonderful example of a Proverbs 31 Woman. Barack is a blessed man.

America should recognize the sincerity of Michelle's words.

No single person has the "experience" to be President. That's why there is a Cabinet to help the President.

Go Barack! Win!

August 18, 2007 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  13. jc - kingman, az

To Michael James - let me get this straight: The liberal Democrats and Barack Obama think we "live in fear", yet the liberal Democrats are often heard blaming Bush administration for knowing 9-11 was going to happen NOT TELLING US. You can't have it both ways man!

August 19, 2007 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  14. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

I am sorry to tell you, Obama supporters. Decade later may be The Obama's will be better, but right now I think Obama is lack of the manner as president. Michelle? I am not sure how smart she is, but I wouldn't watch her face on TV at all because she strikes me with terror. I don't blame her to campaign for husband, but if she wants to be a First Lady, she needs to cultivate herself and dignify her character as a First Lady.

August 20, 2007 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |