August 19th, 2007

Romney critical of Democratic debate

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

(CNN)–GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney said Sunday's debate between the Democratic presidential candidates was not much of a debate.

"Today's Democrat presidential candidates debate can be best summed up as bumbling gang tackle on one Democrat with almost no experience but lots of wrong ideas by several Democrats with a long history of experience pushing the very same, old, wrong ideas," he said in a release from his campaign.

At the debate Sunday in Des Moines, Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama worked to counter suggestions from his fellow competitors that he is too inexperienced for the job.

– CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • Mitt Romney • Race to '08
  1. hawnstyle

This is to all those clowns who keep talking about Romney's blunder about his sons in the military. If that is the best u guys got he will definitely do well in the primarys. He's too perfect. Family pet on the roof of the car. Clean cut family. Mormon. Money. He is the best candidate on both sides, and his organization will continue to grow. Be very afraid Democrats... He's coming. I really hope Hillary makes it to the general, because Romney will eat her up. She has skeletons no one has talked about yet.
    GO ROMNEY!!!

August 20, 2007 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  2. Will, Dayton Ohio

No one, on either side of the political spectrum has as much experience as New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson. If you look at his vitae it will blow you away. Forget about Clinton, forget about Obama, look at Richardson.

August 20, 2007 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  3. Anonymous

I have read Mr. Romney's comments. Giving a vague, general, and unfair assessment of a debate tells who he will be as a president.

August 20, 2007 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  4. Susan McCann, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

This man has no credibility, he's a chameleon. NO core. That's why someone like Guiliani, even with all his personal baggage is still leading Republican national polls. Money can buy votes but it can't buy authenticity.

August 20, 2007 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  5. blake, texas

hey mity, why dont you and joe smith take a hike!!! thats the most retarded coment i have heard. f the republiucans. why dont u tell the trueth. your party wants to burn, set on fire, everyone but the rich!!

August 20, 2007 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  6. David, Boston MA

Mitt will say anything to anyone to get a vote and once elected it's anyone's guess what he'll actually stand for.
    He's changed his position so many times it's a wonder he remembers his own name.
    Just ask anyone from MA.

August 20, 2007 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  7. WDRussell, East Liverpool, Ohio

Mitt is critical, yeah sure. As opposed to his Spanish Inquisition for America platform.

August 20, 2007 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  8. Chip Celina OH

Bag on the guy all you want, sure he's a multi-millionaire, maybe you don't agree with the way he made his money. Most attacks on him on this board come from what I perceive as the 'left' side of the aisle. All complain that he has no foreign policy experience, the list goes on and on. Many dislike him because he is Mormon (many that deride this administration for taking away constitutional rights, yet ignore the first amendment in this case...does he not have freedom of religion?)

As far as I've seen, he hasn't imposed his beliefs on the state of Massachusetts.

As a previous poster mentioned, he did erase a large budget deficit in MA, turned the financial situation for the 2002 Olympic around and helped create jobs in the private sector.

On a key hot-button issue, health care, Massachusetts has recently enacted a system to provide health care for all of its citizens through the private sector. Those that can't afford health insurance will have it paid for by the state through use of funds that were previously used for "free care" (care that is given to uninsured perons where the hospital or provider bites the bullet on cost anyway). As the state conducted analysis turned out, it is cheaper to buy insurance for uninsured persons than it was to provide the so-called free-care.

The jury is still out on how effective the system will be because it just started, but it is a step in the right direction wouldn't you agree? (why/why not)

I don't know if this guy has earned my vote for president, I'm still evaluating candidates and probably won't decide until some point next year (my state primary, and then November come to mind), but give credit where credit is due.

Several of the candidates on both sides make some good points, they also have some flaws (which of us don't?).

I remember someone running a few years back saying..."It's the economy, stupid!" and doing quite well. Maybe Mitt could serve us well in the economic sector of the government instead of being president. Who knows?

I think people have over-reacted to his remark about his sons "serving the country" by campaigning for him. I think it was just a poorly delivered, bad attempt at some levity on his part. And, since when is it his fault and somehow unpatriotic that his sons didn't join the military. Do they not have the "right to choose"?

I was in the military, in theatre for Desert Shield and Desert Storm, I've got the 'SW Asia campaign' medal in my closet, but I don't think any of my friends that have never served have any less a right to do anything than I do.

So, lighten up and give him a chance, find out what he's about. If at the end of the analysis you don't like him because he's a flip-flopper, Mormon, rich guy, whatever, cast your vote for someone else.

Have a good day,

Chip

August 20, 2007 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  9. Reg; Louisville

No matter which Republican candidate speaks or eventually gets the party's nomination the real issue is, 'can this country take more of the same?' They are all trying to distance themselves from any strong connection to the Bush administration who for six years plus has demonstrated a consistent bold and arrogant focus on a private agenda to benefit a select few while giving the majority little more than subterfuge, apathy and the costs. But the reality to be seen, once anyone puts their bias aside to avoid being manipulated, is the rich and powerful who enabled, supported and facilitated all the Bush administration has done aren't about to let go and are just going to offer the same to their choice to keep what they have gained, including their real control. That reality is very troblesome.

August 20, 2007 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  10. Bernard, Scotch Plains NJ

"Republican Candidates are George Bush on steroids."

John Edwards

Couldn't agree more.

August 20, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  11. Reg; Louisville, KY

No matter which Republican candidate speaks or eventually is nominated, you have to ask 'can we take more of the same?' They try to distance themselves from any connection to the Bush administration who for six plus years have boldly and arrogantly consistently focused on a private agenda to benefit a select few while giving the majority nothing but subterfuge, apathy and the costs. But the reality to be seen, once any bias is put aside to avoid being manipulated, is the rich and powerfull, the select few, aren't about to give up what they have gained, including the control. That reality is trouble for America!

August 20, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  12. Steve, Houston TX

To JOhn, Houston TX

If you read Mark's (NJ) post on Mitt, he clearly implies that Romney was the club owner, I was merely replying to that particular post and had no reason to doubt or double check his facts. All the same John, if Romeny's help to search for a friend's daughter is one of your strong points for favoring him then I must say he doesn't have much riding on him. As for your people at work, sorry, I know my boss would shut down the office to help me out, does that make him presidential material???

August 20, 2007 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. Andy, Boston, MA

Romney has erased no debt in Massachusetts. Turns out it was all a shell game. We're broke. He accomplished nothing as governor, ZERO! All he did was travel around the country making jokes about "liberal" Massachusetts while laying the groundwork for his presidential run. I'm not saying this as some left wing democrat either. I voted for the guy. I won't make that mistake again. He's like the republicans' version of Edwards, a pretty boy with perfect hair, a lot of money, and not much substance. If you're a republican, don't be fooled by this guy.

August 20, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  14. rob - estes park , CO.

Mitt stands for personal responsibility and individual opportunity and empowering a person to make their own success. Of course, that requires that average citizen to break free from government help such as food stamps, WIC, link card, welfare, free health services and stealing taxes disproportionately from the wealthy. In other words, get off the couch and GET A JOB!

August 20, 2007 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  15. Pat Sharp Maine

Wow!
    Mark of Princeton NJ,
    Yes Romney created jobs: Staples & Domino's
    I had one of those wonderful Domonios jobs once, when the economy crashed post Reagan Bush 41 economy debacle!. I was a 51 year old single woman with an $800. per month mortgage, accustomed to earning no less than $25. per hour with my own small business, until all the clients, and contacts disappeared, were down sized, forced into early retirement, or moved out of NJ. So I took anything that I could get until I sold my house and moved out of state! For $4.50 an hour working for an "18 year old boy boss" I delivered pizza along the Deleware river ( which froze that winter) That first 2 months I made out OK, because the kids all had DUI's and they couldn't find more than 2 drivers to hire, so the tips were pretty good ( I got $5.00 on Christmas Eve) but then they found another 5 or 6 drivers, some niights you only got one run........( tips) and then...........
    I caught a bad cold because they MADE you wear that open mesh baseball cap, no knitted cap covering your
    ears........ When I came back to work several days later,
    I was PUNISHED FOR BEING SICK AND MISSING TIME BY NOT BEING ASSIGNED ENOUGH DELIVERIES! Same thing happened to another mature woman I worked with ( she had 2 kids at home she was providing for)
    When I hit a time conflict between a staff meeing ( no tips) and a meeting for my own business, I told the KID to take the mesh cap and shove it. ( Well only after he said I would be fired for not attending)
    You DO KNOW DON"T you that the owner of Dominos is one of those 'DEVOUT CHRISTIANS" He's starting a pious christian communiy in FLa.!

August 20, 2007 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. saint joseph,mo 64507

You know if a guy doesn't have sense enough not to follow a religion created by a murderer, you have to question every decision he makes. I wouldn't even consider putting him at the helm of this great country.

August 20, 2007 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  17. David, Gilbert Arizona

Rob Rob Rob. You make it sound so easy to just jump up and get a job. I also enjoyed the way you imply wealthy households are being victimized by the lazy poor. It almost made me want to cry for wealthy people.

Mitt's stance for personal responsibility is actually a fancy way of saying Mitt will do nothing for the poor. It is the poor people's responsibility to do for themselves. When daycare costs exceed the amount of income a person can make, because raising the minimum wage is a bad thing, there really is no alternative for some families other than drawing on social programs. This is one reality Mitt completely overlooks. Instead Mitt would make permanent the tax cuts Dubya gave to the wealthy, because as we all know the wealthy are victims of the greedy poor people.

Mitt can make all the comments he likes regarding any other candidate, republican or democrat. It won't make any difference to me. I won't vote for Mitt based on his own record simply because he is a waffler. Yesterday he was pro-choice today he is pro-life. He was committed to not change existing law on abortion as govenor of MA and did not. When Romney ran against Senator Kennedy he declared that abortion should be safe and legal in this country.

"I promised that if elected, I'd call a truce – a moratorium, if you will...I vowed to veto any legislation that sought to change the existing rules...I fully respect and will fully protect a woman's right to choose."

Now he says he has been pro-life all along and that it would absolutely be a good day for America when Roe v Wade is overturned. What will Flip-Flop say tomorrow?

I can't vote for someone who would double Guantanamo so the prisoners “don’t get access to lawyers they get when they’re on our soil.” What are you afraid of Mitt, that some of the prisoners at Gitmo might actually be innocent? Gitmo removes any social responsibility the administration has when they take prisoners to Gitmo. People have languished for years at Gitmo then released back to their countries of origin without any explanation or recourse. I'm all about stopping terrorism. The problem with Gitmo is when an innocent person is locked up for years they undoubtedly become terrorists. Gitmo is a self defeating project. It only exaserbates the problem of terrorism. Keep Gitmo but make darn sure the prisoners truly are terrorists, which hasn't been the case in the past. In that light there is no need to double the prison.

Too bad McCain nuked himself with the immigrant issue. He would have made an excellent president, unlike flip-flop Romney.

August 20, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  18. Chris, FL

Can we stop using the word flip flopper?! It's sooo 2004 and frankly a disgusting word.

Why not say "Changes their mind"? You don't affect myself or others by saying our candidate is a "flip flopper"!

Please use correct English. We're fighting for America here, not Ebonics.

August 20, 2007 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  19. Henry Tucker, GA

"I was PUNISHED FOR BEING SICK AND MISSING TIME BY NOT BEING ASSIGNED ENOUGH DELIVERIES!" ~ Pat Sharp, MAine

Good grief, Pat, you were a PIZZA DELIVERY PERSON. Did you think you were getting into a cushy job with major sick/vacation and executive benefits? Your "skillz" were driving from the pizza store to the customer. Collect the money. Go back to the store. And from your entitlement attitude – sounds like you were LUCKY to get THAT job!

August 20, 2007 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. M Andryche- Wilmington, N.C.

At least Romney isn't lavish with his money. Why would someone who is impoverished like a guy who gets a $400 haircut?

August 20, 2007 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  21. Dan Wright, Elkhart, Indiana

Those of you from Mass. who are still unhappy with Mitt's performance as governor need to grow up. You all sound like a bunch of liberal dingbats who wouldn't know a program that is good for your state if it hit you over the head. Governor Romney may be despised by those who believe in cradle to grave government funded entitlements, but he represents a stark contrast to that mindset in his governing style. I'm sure he set out to run business's out of your state and cause you to lose homes and have to take minimum wage jobs. I'm sure he must be crazy for trying to fix the health insurance problem by having people buy their own plans, while getting everyone covered.

If he gets elected, and I concede that it will be a long uphill battle, many a big government program will be gored and the hate that is spewed at him now will seem small in comparison to what will happen when he starts leading our nation.

The comments posted here about the leader of the early church being a murderer are unexcusable and will be answered for at the judgement bar of God.

August 20, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  22. Steve, Houston, TX

To Chris, FL,

What? ebonics bother you that much? I didn't hear you complaining when it was used successfully against John Kerry in 2004, shouldn't the phrase bother you regardless of where they are applied? Furthermore, you said it doesn't affect you or other supporters of Romney, so what's the fretting all about??

You use remark, "We're fighting for America here, not Ebonics,"that phrase is sooo misused by just about everyone who is not actually in the military fighting but loves to bask in that phrase's glory. If you're serving, thank you and disregard the following remarks, if you're not, don't take advantage of such blanket phrases, some of us are ACTUALLY fighting for America here, we could care less about ebonics that bother you!

August 21, 2007 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  23. David, Salinas, CA

Chris of FL writes:
    “Can we stop using the word flip flopper?! Why not say "Changes their mind"?” “Please use correct English.”

I think you’re right , Chris. Flip-flopper is far too gentle a word for Mitt Romney.

But the problem with saying Romney “changes his mind” is that he always changes it to match opinions wherever he happens to be. He flips from liberal in Massachusetts to conservative in Iowa. It’s an amazing coincidence. Romney always seems to agree with the folks he’s trying to get to vote for him, no matter what he’s said in the past.

I agree that we should try to use correct English. So perhaps we should call Romney a “panderer” or a “hypocrite” or how about just a “phoney”?

August 22, 2007 12:06 am at 12:06 am |