August 21st, 2007
4 months ago

Bloomberg to deliver poverty address

Bloomberg denies he is considering a presidential bid.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg will deliver a major policy address on poverty next week in the nation's capital, the latest in a string of national events that his office says is unrelated to a possible White House bid.

Bloomberg will discuss his recent initiatives in New York City to combat poverty in a speech sponsored by the Brookings Institution's Center on Children and Families. The event will be held on Tuesday, the same day the U.S. Census Bureau will release its annual report detailing income and poverty levels in the nation.

"The mayor said he is not running for president, but he's going to use his time in office to work on the issues important to the city and important to the country," says Lindsay Ellenbogen, a Bloomberg mayoral aide.

Bloomberg, who left the Republican Party in June to become an Independent, has denied rumors that he is mulling a third-party run for president. He most recently addressed the issue in an interview on the HDnet television network with journalist Dan Rather.

"Nobody is going to elect me President of the United States. What I'd like to do is to influence the dialogue. I'm a citizen," the mayor told Rather in a quote confirmed by Bloomberg's office.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. Josue Romano, Buena Park, CA

I will be looking foward to hear that speech. This guy is the man we all want in the White House if we are looking for a change.

August 21, 2007 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  2. Jayson, Beale AFB, CA

Yes because all we need is someone who thinks as a mayor that the laws of this land don't apply to his city.

Maybe when he starts respecting the immigration laws of this land he may want to run but until then he is just another politiian with a personal agenda.

August 21, 2007 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  3. David, Salinas, CA

I don’t have anything against Bloomberg. Being from the west, I don’t know much about him.

But no matter how rich and famous, I don’t think ANYONE should be allowed to jump from mayor of a city to leader of the free world.

Point taken?

August 21, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  4. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

Howzabout Bloomie for Secretary of State if Joe Biden doesn't want it?

August 21, 2007 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  5. Patrick Curral Venice Beach California

Bloomberg would be a great candidate for president. I don't think there has ever been a more important time in American history for candidate like Bloomberg to throw his hat in the ring.

Politics has become a competition between the two major parties at the expense of middle class Americans.

It seems like we become so engrossed by the war on terror that we've forgetten about every day Americans. Poverty like many other issues have been place on the back burner and I'm anxcious to hear what has to say.

Go Blomberg and maybe Hagel...I think with your combined vision there maybe an outside chance for Independent ticket in '08.

August 22, 2007 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  6. Dan Kanoza, Cincinnati, OH

Would it not be great if Bloomberg could ignite enough interest in getting the fortunate who also claim to believe in some religion, to begin respecting all human life. Obviously the majority of citizens in this nation claim to be Christian, but Mr. Bloomberg–a Jew–is willing to address the issue.

Why can't those who live a comfortable–again the religious–life realize that living in poverty in such a wealthy nation doesn't make sense.

All people can't be CEOs. Even the largest majority of those who are fortunate to enjoy a six figure salary, will never make it that big.

There was a time that most Companies' Presidents made no more than about 20 times what the average hourly employee was paid. Today, it's not unusual for that number to be in excess of 500.

Unfortunately, we continue to turn our backs on the not very cognizant, the homeless the mentally ill, and hold their incomes low by not increasing the minimum wage. The recent changes in the law that Congress recently passed are pathetic.

At one time, it was accepted that once a serf, always a serf. I wonder why we havn't allowed ourselves to evolve beyond that belief? Why can't the wealth of our nation be distributed more fairly?

Have we evolved into a plutocracy?

August 25, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. Roger Elliott Palm City, Fl

Can someone tell me if Bloomberg is a social liberal? I'm a conservative in support of Hagel and against the war. If Bloomberg and Hagel could get us out of Iraq it would be worth it. But I'd like to know the costs. Does Bloomberg want Gay marriage? Would I have to contend with that? If so, it would be too much.

August 29, 2007 11:07 am at 11:07 am |