August 22nd, 2007

Elizabeth Edwards: I haven't changed

Watch CNN's Kiran Chetry interview Elizabeth Edwards.

WASHINGTON (CNN) Elizabeth Edwards has become a key player in her husband's second bid for the White House, but she insisted in a CNN interview Wednesday that she's the same person she has always been.

"I think that I've not really changed," Edwards told CNN's Kiran Chetry on "American Morning." "People who do know me from 2004 know that I haven't actually changed."

Her husband, former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination.

Elizabeth Edwards added that during her husband's first White House run four years ago - before her public battle with breast cancer - she received considerably less media attention than she does now.

"I was traveling on a news free zone before - nobody really covered me," she said. "I would be in smaller markets talking to smaller groups usually of women about women's issues - and had very little press. Now, there's more press."

In recent months, Elizabeth Edwards has made several sharp statements, including a strong critique of New York Sen. Hillary Clinton's record on women's issues, a biting characterization of Illinois Sen. Barack Obama as "holier than thou," and a confrontation with conservative commentator Ann Coulter on MSNBC.

She also came under fire last month for telling an interviewer, "we can't make John black, we can't make him a woman" and argued her husband receives less media attention because he lacks the interesting stories of his chief rivals.

Elizabeth Edwards told CNN Wednesday she could have phrased that point better, saying "I think the press is legitimately interested in what is really a fascinating story - a candidate with an African-American heritage and women candidate.

"I don't begrudge the press being interested in it but it is hard to get a candidate who doesn't have those atmospherics and just trying to talk about policy into the discussion," she added.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Julie, Atlanta, G

America loves Elizabeth...God loves Elizabeth...and I love Elizabeth. Though I've never met her, I'm honored to consider her a personal friend.

Please don't change a thing – you're the closest thing to perfect I've ever seen. :) And may everything turn out even better than expected for you and yours.

August 22, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  2. Gary Corn

Anyone who takes a cheap shot at Ann Coulter is a friend of mine!

August 22, 2007 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. Byron, Buffalo NY

Is Mrs. Edwards still helping to save the planet from global warming by refusing to bring any tangerines into the 28,000 square foot mansion that they had custom built (which could cover 80% of a football field)?

And if so, will her sacrifice of not having any tangerines apply to all rooms in the 28,000 square foot mansion they had custom built, including its indoor recreation building that contains a basketball court, a squash court, two stages, a bedroom, kitchen, bathrooms, swimming pool, a four-story tower, and a room designated "John’s Lounge"?

If so, then on behalf of all of Earth's living creatures I thank Mr. and Mrs. Edwards for their sacrifice of not buying tangerines.

August 22, 2007 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. a, in brazil

I really admire Elizabeth, but I cannot stand John Edwards, so I'm trying to avoid listening to the Edwards camp. I just think it's pathetic the amount of coverage the wives of the candidates have been getting.

Pl - I'm interested in diplomacy. Let's be friends!

August 22, 2007 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  5. Randy, VA

Can you say Teresa Heinz.

August 22, 2007 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  6. Tony

Who let our friend from Atlanta out? She needs her meds.

August 22, 2007 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  7. High on life

Hey Tony, and she speaks for all of America too. She must be on the good stuff.

August 22, 2007 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  8. Debi, Philadelphia, PA

I think that Elizabeth is doing John's dirty work because they both know she can get away with it. I was afraid the pity vote would carry him, I am glad to see voters are getting smarter and attempting to stay focused on the issues instead of the hype.

August 22, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  9. Skel, Richmond, CA

"I think that I've not really changed”…Yes we’ve noticed.

Elizabeth Edwards’ problem is just that, SHE HAS NOT CHANGED. She is still the same rude, abrasive person that she was in 2004. We know, we get it. I am sure she has been like this her whole life, and that is fine, except that the American people don’t want this type of person in the White House…President or First Spouse.

It really does matter what sort of spouse our President has. The First Spouse plays a vital role. If nothing else the First Spouse must have class, tact, manners and self control.
    Learned? Yes Elizabeth Edwards is learned. Opinionated? Yes, having strong opinions is great. But along with these traits one must have respect for others, a cool head and a healthy dose of common sense, all of which Mrs. Edwards seems to lack.

As John Edwards prospects continue to dwindle, I am sure we will get more of the same from Mrs. Edwards…no change, just more of the same.

August 22, 2007 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  10. Mat, Stillwater Oklahoma

Someone said they are making history? HOW? A woman and a black man? Already happened. Geraldine Ferraro and Jesse Jackson. Have a good day!

August 22, 2007 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  11. Mrs. America

She's not doing her husband any favors, that's for sure.

August 24, 2007 01:12 am at 1:12 am |