August 23rd, 2007

'Obama girl' may become Clinton's girl

Will the 'Obama girl' defect to Clinton?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - It's an ongoing political saga: Who will YouTube's wildly popular "Obama Girl" support for president in real life?

Amber Lee Ettinger, the star of the online video that has been viewed well over three million times, has previously given mixed signals as to whether her enthusiastic support for the Illinois Democrat extends into real life.

According to the New York Daily News, however, "Obama Girl" may be leaning towards his chief rival, Hillary Clinton.

"I watched the recent debates and I liked a lot of her answers," the paper quotes Ettinger saying.

Reached by CNN Thursday, Ettinger added, "I’m excited that a woman is running for president… I think she’s doing a really good job."

Turns out Obama himself might not be too keen on Ettinger either. He told the Associated Press earlier this week that his own daughters became upset with the risqué video, saying, "You do wish people would think about what impact their actions have on kids and families."

But Ettinger told the paper she didn't take Obama's criticisms negatively.

"I think he's more concerned over his child's reaction to it. That's good parenting," said Ettinger. She added that, in her opinion, the video "shows him in a positive light."

The 'Obama girl' video and others like it are obviously parodies intended to inject humor into the political process. But they are also a sign of how YouTube users are clearly changing the political landscape– to the chagrin of candidates trying to control their message.

1. Erica, Seattle, Washington

It's great to see that she is very unique and practical about the situation. I wonder if her decision on the candidates will be at all based on some of their ideas on poverty and other issues of foreign policy.

August 23, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. Shawn, Atlanta, Georgia

If you analyze the comments and their voice, it seems as if most of them come from people who are either supporters of or are on Obama's campaign. What happened to change in American politics Sen. Obama?

August 23, 2007 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. anon, california

she sounds almost as stupid as the people who keep insisting Obama let his 6-year-old trawl youtube for racy videos. she saw this crapola on the news, which is obsessed with stupid starlets. it's easier than reporting the news, i guess.

August 23, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  4. Yvette, Houston TX

I think the whole thing with the Obama and Clinton girls is just silly. And it's sad to think that they think that is what it take to get the 18-25 group interested in politics and voteing. I am 24 and those girls don't make me anymore interested in the 08 elections then I already was.

August 23, 2007 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  5. shaun pottsville pa

wake up everybody...this women is doing this just draw attention to herself...she doesn't really care about politics...her video and others like it are not intended to "inject humor" into the political process...they are intended to "inject" attention unto themselves so they can possibly make a break into television (commercials, talk shows, you name it).

August 23, 2007 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  6. Ben Thompson, Chicago, IL

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! WHY IS THIS A NEW ITEM FOR SUCH AN ESTEEMED NEWS ORGANIZATION AS CNN!

August 23, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. matt

Does anybody care about this? It's pathetic...

Political Buzz Radio live tomorrow.

August 23, 2007 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  8. Fab, Zurich

"The CNN Political Ticker is the hottest destination for the latest political news with dispatches, behind-the-scenes reports, and expert commentary, 24-7."

This really made me think about becoming a member.

The Obama-/Clinton-Girl story made me think about deleting the CNN-Bookmark.

This is beyond interest even for a very-low-level blog. Nohing against the girl, she has an "opinion", a webcam and the body to express her exibitionistic tendencies, so what.

August 23, 2007 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  9. Ann TN

Her 15 minutes are up.

August 23, 2007 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  10. MC, San Diego CA

At least Obama thinks it's nonsense, too.

August 23, 2007 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  11. Anthony, Upper Darby, PA

Why is something like this being reported? Because it has to.

I've been a journalist for nearly 15 years now. One of the earliest things I learned about why a story gets reported can be fitted into any one of these three categories:

People want to know, people need to know, and people have the right to know.

So any story that you see fits in one or more of these categories. Just because one person doesn't think it should fit in any of them doesn't mean the next guy feels the same.

Personally, I think having some hot girl making a lusty video for a candidate will make a new (low) standard of how voters will show support for their candidates.

Politics is already dirty enough with the candidates but let's not make it any dirtier by doing videos like this.

August 23, 2007 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  12. Brian Williams, Manteca, CA

As one of Amber's photographers, I can tell you that I DO CARE what she thinks. But whether or not that influences my vote is a personal matter. The whole point of this article is that You Tube is changing the way American people view their political hopefulls. You can still vote for whomever you want. It's just a more entertaining and more modern way that political candidates can reach the American people.

August 23, 2007 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  13. Cory, Pennsylvania

umm, whocares?

oh and she's just an actress. She didn't sing, write, or have anything to do with the making of the script. She just danced and lip sang the entire movie, so really... whocares?

one last thing... what if she was always a "Clinton girl," but now may become "Obama's girl?" I doubt you would see this headline the other way around.

again... whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares whocares.

August 24, 2007 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  14. Andrew, jakarta, indonesia

To IV from Dallas, trust me I'm a political scientist. Please send me an unclothed photo of yourself, and I will give you an in-depth assessment of its impact on the 2008 election. Obviously, the more photos you send, the more comprehensive the analysis.

August 24, 2007 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  15. jen blasiak

Obama Girl rules. 15 million people are watching her videos... Thats more than all the candidates youtube videos combined. and there's enough somber news out there already... thank god there's someone funny and gorgeous to look at once in a while. also – check her video out at youtube debates. She's not Walter Concrite, but she seems to be making an effort.

August 24, 2007 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  16. Chip Celina OH

David, Salinas,

"but I’m not convinced that anyone at CNN reads those comments."

They do indeed take some posts off or not let them get on. I've had a couple where I was taking a couple of folks to task for what they've posted. I've seen the post get uploaded when I refresh the page, but go back a bit later and it isn't there.

The posts I've added weren't profane or nasty. Simply asking for justification. I will admit that they were pointed and possibly a bit personal, but I've seen far worse. I think maybe because I was making a logical argument that may be in conflict with the CNN perceived agenda.

Have a good day,

Chip

August 24, 2007 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  17. Dave- Temple Owls are everywhere, including trashy videos on CNN

As a fellow Temple University alumni, I am ashamed that this chick is getting as much attention as she is. No substance! Just another example of the moral decline of our main stream media and society. It just reinforces the need to have someone like Obama in office.

August 24, 2007 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  18. Elizabeth

The video is stupid , and the list goes on.....lol but funny
    I think Obama Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    he knows wat he's talking about.........

February 4, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |