August 26th, 2007

Huckabee: Expectations for Thompson too high

Huckabee weighs in on Thomson's candidacy.

(CNN) - Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee said Sunday that voters' expectations might be too high for Fred Thompson's run for the Republican presidential nomination.

Weighing in on Thompson's likely candidacy on Fox News Sunday, Huckabee said "Well, let's just hope Fred decides it's just too hot this summer to even do this. Maybe he won't get in. But if he does, I think he's going to suck a lot of the oxygen out of the room when he first comes in. But I'm not sure I'd want to be in his position where the expectations are simply just sky-high for him to be able to perform."

"People are expecting him to basically come in and be the fifth head on Mount Rushmore. Whether he can live up to that - I think there's a real challenge for anybody to live up to that, including if Ronald Reagan were to come back," he told Chris Wallace. "I'm not sure he could live up to Ronald Reagan's persona and image at this stage."

– CNN Political Desk Editor Mark Norman

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. David, Salinas, CA

I don’t agree with Mike Huckabee on many issues, but he’s an honest man with the courage of his convictions. I feel much the same way about Ronald Reagan. I can’t say the same for Fred Thompson, who sells his opinion to the highest bidder.

Please don’t insult the memory of President Reagan by comparing him to a Washington insider hack lobbyist like Fred Thompson. All Reagan and Thompson have in common is acting careers, and even there Reagan was a leading man and Thompson is in minor supporting roles. Reagan wouldn’t have lobbied for asbestos and Aristide, and he changed his position on abortion out of conviction, not expedience. Reagan believed in his positions. Thompson believes in whoever pays the most at the moment.

If you support the conservative cause of Ronald Reagan, support Huckabee. If you believe in anything, don’t support Fred Thompson. He’ll sell you out in a second if he thinks there’s a buck in it for him.

August 26, 2007 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  2. James, North Little Rock, AR

I am a Democrat from Huckabee's homestate of Arkansas. I never voted for him here, but I must say that I am impressed with his performance thus far in campaigning for his party's nomination. If I thought for a minute that he wasn't in bed with the religious right, I'd seriously consider voting for him. Until then, I'll stick with my first lady for 20 years, 12 in Arkansas and 8 nationally, Hillary Clinton.

August 26, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Joe, Manchester, VT

I must admit to being with the "Who's Huckabee and Why Is He Running", but, by gosh, the guy has a message and a great sense of humor to boot. The "Fifth Head on Mt. Rushmore" is priceless.

August 26, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. Ian

I still am trying to figure out the diefication of Reagan. Were all these people in a coma during his entire presidency? That said, Huckabee does have a vaild point. FThompson is being built up so high that no matter what he does, he can't possibly measure up. When he makes a mistake – as all candidates do – he's going to fall farther and have a harder time recovering than those who had more realistic expectations put upon them. Already, he comes across as arrogant as all heck, even for a politician.

August 26, 2007 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  5. Jake, Winston-Salem, NC

Agreed–Reagan simply was not a great president. He not only ballooned up the national debt but set a precedent for future republican presidents to do the same with no consequences. He set us far back in environmental work which we're suffering for now. He had one of the most corrupt administrations in history. Please please please don't send us another "conservative in the mold of Ronald Reagan"–we already have one and can't wait to dump him.

August 26, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. Eddie, Beavercreek, OH

If you heard Thompson's speech at the VFW or watching him on CSPAN last night from Indy, your expectations would be low. Neither speech was well done and his mannerisms when he speaks are annoying like rocking back and forth when he speaks near the end.

He was all doom and gloom last night which made no sense and it was poorly given.

He will get clobbered in a debate and probably why he announced yesterday in Indy, it will be Sep or OCTOBER. He is an affront to every candidate that has been out there running when he laughed about saving $50M by not getting in the race. I would vote for Ron Paul or Tom Tancredo before I would vote for Thompson who is now at the bottom of my list because they are out there working and not making fun of people working hard.

Thompson was always a lazy Senator and looks like some things never change. He also looks very, very old and not well!

August 26, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  7. Anonymous Westin Employee, Indianapolis IN.

Correction: The header should read: "Expectations for Thompson too high; Expectations for Huckabee too low". The Governor is going to catch fire, folks. Both he and Thompson were in Indianapolis this weekend for the Midwest Republican Leadership Conference, at the same hotel. I was there. The Thompson supporters showed up. Mike Huckabee's supporters were there, too. He had a couple hundred fewer than the guy from Hunt For Red October, going in. By the time it was all over, he was all anyone was talking about. The Howard Dean of 2008 is coming and his name ain't Fred Thompson.

August 26, 2007 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. The Framing Wizard LV, NV

Someone beat you to the punch this time David:

Think back on history; maybe you should also give history a chance; maybe some can compare the Republican Party too nuclear meltdown liken to thee mile island. But the bare truth can be witnessed from history after speaking so highly of President Ronald Regan as commented and bashing Fred Thompson and any other is not fair game. I say’ stay on track and sick too the issues and not the candidates personalities.

Not even to give Thompson the chance to officially announce his candidacy before crucifying his name and/or nature prior too knowing what he may be all about. Doses not show any class of nature. Who is calling the kettle black now?

I recall a time in the early 90’s also when President Bill Jefferson Clinton came into office from a legacy of prosperity that was left by his predecessors. In lieu of bashing the parties and the people of them parties, let the US hear some of your solutions! Bashing is not a solution. Problems/issues deserve solutions don’t you think? Please stay focused. Who did Bill Clinton mold him self and political values from?

I recall a time in the 80’s of the democratically lead Carter years raising my family and comparing them years too a hot nuclear reactor. Their nearly was not a place on our planet where a person could purchase employment even if loans where handed out to the pubic for free ninety free too buy a position of employment.

I recall a time in the 70’s when people in their vehicles (including my self); waiting in lines for fuel that stretched across our nation coast to coast. Who do blame for a mess of such magnitude?

I recall a time in the 60’s of murder involving a great President on November 22, 1963 on my 8th birthday. You can do the math, it is elementary my dear Watson, you seem to do well with numbers.

I recall a time in the 50’s when late President Richard M. Nixon was a right hand man to some. The only positive times in my short life was when the conservative party was in office. So what else is new on the agenda today David?

August 26, 2007 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. KD, Pittsburgh PA

Idealogically speaking, I disagree almost completely with Huckabee. But, his performance in the debates, his candor, and his witty charisma, translate something like "HOPE". I would wish that Republicans would nominate a smart, open to the other side, and potential uniter as their candidate instead of the typical fear-mongerer. I fear Rudy as a horrible President. I fear Mitt. I would not vote for Huckabee, but I would sleep better at night and feel safe with him as the President. I cannot express that same opinion about other Right candidates, except long-shot Ron Paul.

August 26, 2007 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. Shola, Indianapolis

The ideology of many hardcore mainstream conservative christian is that beliefs should be the law. Which scares me but no conservative republican or liberal democratic scares me as much as Fred Thompson. Many people say he has the take charge compusure, i believe he has the scary dominant and abusive compusure.

August 26, 2007 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  11. RA Antwhere USA

At least Fred Thompson is a US Senator; I cannot say anything negative of Mike Huckabee, but I have an opinion on candidates running for the Presidency of our Nation. A minimum of a two (2) term should be written into law as a representative in the senate should only qualify any person for candidacy when seeking the office of President. Look what has happened to our nation after electing Gorge W, Bush from Governor of Texas. Remind you all; I did not cast a vote for the Bush’s, not either of them. There is not enough room for a fifth head on Mount Rushmore any person, I can visualize it now; George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln… Mike Huckabee?

August 26, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  12. Randy Hurst San Francisco, California 94121

If Fred Thompson would just step up and throw his Depends into the ring–If that is the best that GOP has to offer then any Democrat can win. As an actor, I doubt that he wants to follow an act like Bush/Cheney who has left aan audience so hostile.

August 26, 2007 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  13. RA Las Vegas, NV

At least Fred Thompson is a US Senator; I cannot say anything negative of Mike Huckabee, but I have an opinion on candidates running for the Presidency of our Nation. A minimum of a two (2) term should be written into law as a representative in the senate should only qualify any person for candidacy when seeking the office of President. Look what has happened to our nation after electing Gorge W, Bush from Governor of Texas. Remind you all; I did not cast a vote for the Bush’s, not either of them. There is not enough room for a fifth head on Mount Rushmore for any person of toady leaders. I can visualize it now; George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln… Mike Huckabee? On Mount Rushmore! CNN; there you go again; you are of the “F” network!

August 26, 2007 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  14. David, Salinas, CA

RA of Las Vegas, NV mistrusts the idea of Governors as President, based on the admittedly dismal performance of the current incumbent, George W. Bush.

I agree with your assessment of President Bush, R.A., but let’s not throw out all the whole barrel based on one bad apple. There have been quite a few successful Presidents who rose from the ranks of Governor, including James Monroe, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton.

If want a really great resume, you might check out Bill Richardson, who has served as Congressman, Ambassador to the United Nations, Secretary of Energy and Governor of New Mexico. Here’s his web site:

On the other hand, we’ve never let anyone jump from Mayor to the White House, and I hope we don’t make that mistake in 2008.

August 26, 2007 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  15. Matt, Chico, CA

August 27, 2007 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  16. Bruce, Franklin, TN

As a Huckabee supporter for the past 3 months, I must say that I am pleased to hear the mostly positive responses to the Governor's candidacy on this thread.

He strikes me as a competent, self-effacing individual with character, integrity and a sense of humor and he is definitely a Washington outsider (which I believe to be an essential check on Congress).

Although he is an ordained Baptist minister, that does not automatically make him a bible thumping, evangelizing fundamentalist "in bed with the religious right." He did not govern Arkansas as such and there is no reason to believe he would do so as President.

Although he is a long shot, I hope his recent momentum will advance his candidacy and I believe he has some appeal to independents and even to moderate Democrats (as evidenced by many of the comments on this thread).

I have donated modestly to his campaign and would give more if I had more. I personally believe he is the kind of candidate we need to see more of....not the sleazy type that seems to be hung up on achieving power.

August 27, 2007 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  17. nichole

I would likely vote for Thompson. By the
    way. It really bothers me when online
    news media try to influence people.

August 27, 2007 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |