August 27th, 2007

Clinton: public smoking ban a 'good day for America'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - New York Sen. Hillary Clinton promised to fight to reduce smoking during an appearance at Lance Armstrong’s presidential forum on Monday. The presidential hopeful also said she thinks smoking should be banned from public places.

"Well, personally I think so," Clinton said when asked if banning smoking in public in public places would be a "good day for America."

Calling tobacco an "an addictive, deadly substance," Clinton said the FDA should be able to regulate tobacco products and advertising for cigarettes. She said a national ban on smoking was impractical because of local zoning laws, but said it's possible to further limit it by increasing taxes and prices for cigarettes.

"We'll eventually get there," she said. "We're lowering the rate of smoking now, and I think over the next decade we'll really push it way down."

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Rick, Chicago Illinois

I love these posts from the crybaby smokers:

"WHAAAA! They wont let me be ignorant and make others deal with MY ignorant habit that effects those around me!"

"Everyone ELSE is just too lazy to get up and MOVE so I don't blow smoke in their faces!"

LOL! Don't forget to sue Big Tobacco when you get cancer from your OWN STUPID DECISIONS too!

After all, it's certainly not YOUR fault right?

Now keep crying people!

August 28, 2007 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  2. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

Mary ~ Mountain View

You wrote, "This is all about protecting those who DO NOT SMOKE. So get off your high horse."

– – – – – – –

Sorry you have asthma but should your "condition" restrict the rights and choices of others?

How about we restrict public consumption of alcohol? It would dramatically reduce DUIs, and the deaths/injuries associated, right?

How about we confiscate all the privately owned firearms? Then they wouldn't be available to rob or kill others, right?

Our fore fathers (some tobacco farmers) fought and designed a country of freedoms. Besides.. if you don't like the someone smoking in California – duck into a bar!

Hillary = No Public Smoking Allowed

August 28, 2007 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. David, Salinas, CA

Jon –

Freedoms are often in conflict. The freedom to blast music conflicts with other's freedom to sleep. Freedom to fire shots in the air conflicts with freedom to walk through the park. Freedom to go shopping in the nude conflicts with freedom to protect children from sexuality. We make laws to resolve these conflicts. That means limits on some freedoms, like it or not.

August 28, 2007 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  4. tj rebel

raise taxes on cigs! another way for the federal gov to make money.

for seven years, the fda did not release nicotine amounts for different brands of cigarettes, as they had been doing for previous years.

All the while, nicotine levels rose in all major cigs. At the same time this information was not being released, states across the country pushed for raises in federal cigarette taxes.

Raise taxes to lower smoking rates, while allowing big tobacco to raise nicotine levels, making them more addictive, and efectively cancelling out any lowering of cigarette smokers.

August 29, 2007 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  5. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

David ~ Salinas

You wrote, "What you’re saying is that Mary’s freedom to breath fresh air is less important than your freedom to blow smoke in her face."

David, what I don't support is the "victim" mentality. Personally – I don't smoke. My parents did and I understand the feeling of being "trapped" in the backseat of the car while both parents puffed away (windows cracked enough to blow the smoke to the backseat).

So not being a fan of cigarette smoke I make adjustments. If I'm walking behind someone smoking either I walk faster to pass them or I slow down letting them get farther ahead. If I'm standing outside and someone is smoking – I move to a smokeless area.

MOST people who smoke understand it can bother non-smokers and are pretty considerate. I've only ever asked a few people if they didnt mind waiting or not smoking in situations where I had my kids or unable to "adjust". They (smokers) were very respectable and agreed not to smoke in that moment.

Blowing smoke purposely into someone's face isn't acceptable. But heavens we have become such a fragile society that every little "discomfort" means restricting someone else's right?

August 29, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. Mary, Mountain View, CA

Bob, I am in favor of having taxes raised for cigarettes and other tobacco products because it discourages the purchase of such items. If there are lower sales, then there will be less smokers. I don't care where that money goes as long as it doesn't fill the pockets of our politicians.

As I pointed out in my initial post, cigarette smoke affects everyone, smokers and non-smokers alike. So why are you defending something that harms YOU in the process? You cannot deny this, the health hazards of smoking (like lung CANCER) have been well-proven.

And Jon in Sacramento, it's not just a little "discomfort". Like I said, I can DIE from an asthma attack. People like myself are the reason for local smoking bans around the country. And it can be especially harmful to young children, expectant mothers, the elderly, and heck, anyone. Aside from asthma attacks, other immediate symptoms include stuffy or runny noses, watery or burning eyes, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, a feeling of suffocation, etc.

It's not my fault I have asthma. It certainly wasn't my choice to put up with a lifetime of pills and inhalers. But smoking those cancer-on-a-sticks definitely is.

August 29, 2007 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. Tom, Campbell, Ca

Increase taxes on smokes...ok, now lets do that on all of Mcdonalds, Wendys, Buger King, etc, etc food because they are responsable for a huge % of our nations number one threat, obesity. If you think not, just look at the reports. Oh yes, we must also ban public pools, since they kill many people a year, oh ya, lets ban auto racing, because it kills people too, oh ya, lets ban anything that is bad for you, meaning, lets ban life, as it eventually kills you!

She just lost my vote.

August 29, 2007 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  8. Rick, Chicago Illinois

Tom, Campbell, Ca,

"lets do that on all of Mcdonalds, Wendys, Buger King, etc, etc food because they are responsable for a huge % of our nations number one threat, obesity"

When someone eats a Big Mac next to you, is he/she automatically forcing the food down OTHER people's throats too?

"ban public pools"

When someone swims in a pool do YOU automatically get wet too if you're nearby? Not unless your ALSO in the pool or unless someone is ignorant enough to SPLASH you right?

"ban auto racing"

Again, when someone gets in a race car, does that automatically put everybody around him in the car with him?

LIKE SECOND HAND SMOKE DOES?

I have an idea, lets ban stupidity – [...]!

Next time, read the existing posts in a thread and maybe you'll get an idea of what the issue is you before you say something as asinine as what you just posted.

By the way, I'm sure Hillary will do just FINE without your vote.

August 30, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. Mary, Lancaster, PA

I am a smoker, and I find this absolutely ridiculous. If she gets elected, what else would she do. I am a female, and I think women should have a chance, but I dont think miss. EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE MY WAY should get elected. If she does, it is going to turn into a reinactment of the Salem Witch Trials, except they will hunt smokers. I do not mind paying more taxes, but will someone please remove the fat guy down the street ordering pizza, because if you can "catch" cancer, then I am going to "catch" obesity. What about that Hil?? Are you going to make food illegal? Do you want to turn us all into rabits next? Fix the obes people and leave me alone. You will never get close enough to a community, to breathe the horrible pollution from smoke. If she does decide to ban smoking in public, my answer is tough shizz, cuz no one is going to be fine with that, and no one is going to do it. Is she going to build the jails for all the public smokers? I think not. IT ISNT ALL ABOUT YOU HILARY!! We know it sucks to have your man cheat on you, but do not take your anger on us. I am a democrat, and I am not fond of GWB, but if he was running, I would vote for him, b/c this is just nuts.

September 29, 2007 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  10. aurturo fuente queen b cigars

Extraordinarily well written blog!!!

November 26, 2011 12:49 am at 12:49 am |