August 27th, 2007

Your thoughts on Gonzales resignation

What do you think about Gonzales' resignation?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - What's your reaction to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' resignation? Did it come at the right time? Which party stands to benefit more from his departure?

Add a comment with your thoughts below.

Filed under: Uncategorized
soundoff (1,935 Responses)
  1. Bruce Franson, Chelsea, Michigan

Tried, convicted and hung by the most knowledgeable jury around – the press. How can I evaluate whether this was anything other than a vendetta without any accurate information? (Though the above commentators seem to have access to all of that information – maybe I'm just not well read enough).

August 27, 2007 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. R.RODRIGUEZ. VISALIA,CA.

IT'S TOO BAD THAT THIS ADMINISTRATION HAD TO RUIN THIS GOOD MANS REPUTATION TO CORRUPT OUR JUDICIAL SYSTEM. WILL ANYBODY STAND UP TO BUSH AND TRY HIM FOR "CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY AS WELL AS CORRUPTION." I THINK BUSH AND ALL HIS CRONIES SHOULD HAVE BEEN HUNG ALONG WITH SADDAM HUSSIEN FOR THIER SINS.

August 27, 2007 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. Steve D. Akron Ohio

I hope the Democrats will not take this, and Rove's resignations as a cue to end their investigations, but will instead be re-committed to looking into this administration's endless illegal activities with renewed resolve.

These jerks didn't resign for nothing. With the exception of Bush, these guys are all smart enough to always be assumed to have a plan.

August 27, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. Karl Rove, Crawford, TX

Please don't hold Gonzo totally responsible. I forced Gonzo to fire the US AGs because Bush forced me to do it.

August 27, 2007 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. Jenny, Brighton, MI

He should have been fired instead of being allowed to resign. Bush should be impeached.

August 27, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  6. Emma, Stuarts Draft VA

It's about time; however, Bush & Cheney are the biggest shames–and shame on us, the people, for not having gotten rid of them!

August 27, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  7. Randy Pepple, Cincinnati, Ohio

I just hope he doesn't keep showing up to work. Because tomorrow he probably won't recall resigning.

August 27, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  8. P. Travis, Omaha, NE

Bye.........sorry you were involved with such a corrupt administration. Hopefully you can put this behind you and become an honest, productive citizen.

August 27, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  9. Terry, Phila, pa

It's about time!!

August 27, 2007 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  10. Schell, San Diego, CA

His departure was likely, and I am not surprised that this was in the grand scheme of things. If it is true that Chertoff is being nominated to replace him and it would be treated as a recess appointment, it will be one of the most seriously devastating cabinet moves in American history, in terms of individual rights. Word to the wise: watch your back. History may just repeat itself.

August 27, 2007 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  11. Manny Zohar New York, NY

The American justice system promote crimes. Thats is why over 2 millions are in jail, the highest in the world.

Oh about this facist, he should take Bush along with him out.

August 27, 2007 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. Jim M., Swartz Creek, Michigan

Who cares anymore?

I am just sick of the none stop bickering, backstabbing, and conspiracy chasing agendas of both parties. Both the Democratic and Republican parties are a disgrace to the American Spirit.

August 27, 2007 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  13. John, Kansas City, MO

John Edwards said it best, "Better late than never." That is the most to-the-point statement I have heard from a politician in a long time. And I am not surprised that more people are interested in the Vick story than the resignation of the AG. Remember, a good number of Americans (notice I didn't say a majority) voted for George Bush...TWICE!

August 27, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  14. Taxpayer, Collegeville, PA

I got an idea...why don't all of you "complainers" take your sense of entitlement and run for office? I'd like to see how all of you do when there is no one else to blame for all that is wrong in the world. Oh yes, and it's fascist.

August 27, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  15. Ben, Austin TX

Can someone please just explain what things this Alberto did that was soo wrong? How is he wrong or "unjust" in firing those Attorney's? Is it normal for an appointed official to be loyal to the President? Is this really anything more than typical Bush ADMIN as usual INCOMPETENCE

Ben Austin TX

August 27, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  16. T. White

He said he would not resign as long as he felt he could still be effective....I wonder what changed his mind? Or what caused him to see what the American people saw months and months ago?

August 27, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  17. John-Paul, Toronto, Ontario

It's just a few bad apples; nothing to worry about.

August 27, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  18. J. Orlando, FL

Given that Mr. Gonzalez does not believe that American citizens have the right of habeas corpus, I think he should be imprisoned on general principles until the DOJ's false claims of executive privilege are rejected in court and we finally know the extent of the wrongdoing in connection with the U.S. Attorney firings, illegal wiretapping schemes, and whatever other reprehensible nonsense occurred under his repugnant regime as Attorney General.

August 27, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  19. Lorena, San Jose, California

Originally, I applauded President Bush for selecting a Hispanic to a top position at the White House. Today, after the many revelations regarding the unethical conduct of Gonzales, I have mixed feelings. Gonzales, like Vick, should understand they represent a segment of society that is still under-represented in key, influential roles. I feel Gonzales lost sight of who he was really accountable to, the American public. He opted for the selfish path, which lead him to make bad decisions and lead in a manner that optimized for very few. As a representative of the Hispanic community, he ended up a huge disappointment; certainly not someone I can tell my children to look upon as a fine example of what can be achieved. Instead, his final act will result in the next appointment being given to a non-Hispanic.

August 27, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  20. Erik Taylor, Vicksburg, MS

American people are not going to buy republican whining that Gonzales was a victim of democrats partisanship. Republicans are the most partisans in the history of american congress. Imagine this was Clintons regime in the middle of Iraq war, wire tapping, Libby scandal, Delay-Abramoff alike scandals, and many more! I bet these same republicans with the help of democrats would have thrown the Clinton White House in jail. But, these same republicans are protecting this president and vice president under their shelter using their status in senate. Shame on you in supporting president's failed policies and at the same time blaming democrats! When can these impotent voters get some manliness to throw you out in 2008?

August 27, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. Mark Smith, Norwalk, CT

In a Democracy founded on separation of powers and separation of church and state, it's shocking to see how this administration has, with obvious premeditation, disregarded both. My sincere hope is that the damage done is not permanent.

August 27, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. Frederick Dunn

From the Right – He should not have stepped down! And, if I had my way, George W. Bush would be in White House for a third term.

August 27, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Bob, MD

I think the wizard of oz worded the best... "Ding-dong the witch is dead"

August 27, 2007 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. Robert R. Drummond, Milton FL

This is typical of Washington Politics, but it is sad that Mr. Gonzalez was persecuted until he resigned; I have felt all along that he was a very competent Attorney General. I would much prefer to see the resignations of the likes of Sen. Ted Kennedy, Sen. Robert Byrd, Sen. Bob Graham, etc.

August 27, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  25. Bill Pealer, Tuckahoe NY

This will change nothing. We are still oil dependant, we are still outsourcing our future to China, we are still selling our min wage jobs to illegals, and we are still fighting a war against a neurotic "enemy". The gap between rich and poor ever increases. The average joe becomes more and more alienated because we are not right, not left, and not some special interest group. We just are occupied. Trying to make end's meat with no relief. All we can do is keep working and let the water circle the bowl.

August 27, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78