August 28th, 2007

Kucinich: 'My wife's 29 - You draw your own conclusions'

Dennis Kucinich and his wife, Elizabeth.

Cedar Rapids, IOWA (CNN) – At the Livestrong Forum Monday, Democratic presidential hopeful Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, hit home the message of proper health education and personally shared the benefits he’s experienced since adopting a vegan lifestyle.

“I didn't need as much sleep. I had a lot more energy. I had a lot more clarity. I didn't have the health problems that I had previous to that,” the Ohio congressman said. “And as a result, I had a better quality of life.”

Kucinich added: “People want a president who is healthy because if you’re healthy you can think right.”

The White House hopeful emphasized his commitment to a “full disclosure” health education policy, where Americans are made aware of the nutrition value and health risks of the food they eat.

Referencing the epidemic of American obesity owing to such lack of information, Kucinich pushed for overall “health consciousness” that includes physical fitness, proper nutrition and access to health care.

“There is a direct connection not only between diet and health, but diet and the environment, diet and the economy. And so as president I'm going to be singularly positioned to be able to lead that discussion because I take in my own journey toward health based on my dietary choices,” he said.

While describing a diet free of animal products and an improved quality of life, MSNBC Hardball Host, Chris Matthews, ignited laughter when playfully remarking “And you married a young woman.”

Kucinich joked, “And I did. And my – hello. I mean, I'm 60 years old, I have a – my wife's 29. You draw your own conclusions. Diet helps.”

– CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Dennis Kucinich • New Hampshire
  1. Ted, Sacramento, CA

A big wad of cash always helps to get a young hot woman, just ask Hugh about that. How is it that Thompsons wife is a trophy wife but this guys isn't?

August 28, 2007 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  2. James, Phoenix AZ

Draw our own conclusions?

Your wife is 30 years younger than you – I conclude you're too intimidated to keep a relationship with someone your own age?

Your wife is 30 years younger than you – I conclude most women over 40 will think you're pretty slimy.

Your wife is 30 years younger than you – you have the same belief that love is ageless much like Anna Nicole's deceased husband – J. Howard Marshall (yeah she loved him for his soft sensitive side...nothing to do with money!)

Lots of reasonable conclusion can be drawn, Dennis.

August 28, 2007 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  3. Cary - Lowell, IN

OK where's the "trophy wife" whiners who diss Fred Thompson? Hello!!

August 28, 2007 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  4. D

Wow, an article entirely about Kucinich. A slightly superficial one, but an article never the less. Nice work

August 28, 2007 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  5. Dave, Evergreen CO

Thanks Dennis, I needed a new source of nightmares.

August 28, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  6. Bradley, Bethel, NC

He is such a political "player" I hope to be like him one day too !!!

August 28, 2007 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. David, Salinas, CA

Interesting that a fluff piece on his 29-year-old wife is the only coverage Dennis Kucinich gets on CNN. Maybe Ticker should have a centerfold. I hear Mike Gravel has a really sexy cousin.

Honestly there are sites on the web better qualified to show us hot redheads. Wouldn’t it be nice if CNN did a story on the political positions of the second tier candidates?

August 28, 2007 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  8. Anonymous

I just got the weirdest mental image in my head. Oh, Dennis. You little tiger.

August 28, 2007 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  9. Lynn Erice, Lyndonville, NY

I am definitely impressed! No wonder he can tell the truth! Let's get some more articles about him!

August 28, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  10. Jen J, Foristell, MO

Oh yes. The Vegan diet is the answer to all the world's perceived problems. Wow..I think he needs to eat a steak. He is seriously mistaken and out of touch.

August 29, 2007 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  11. Michael, Burlington VT

Go Dennis! And a hot Redhead no less...

August 29, 2007 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  12. Igor, Mineral Wells, TX

yeah, yeah, yeah, so what if he's got a 29 year old wife. . . has he ever cruised for a blumpkin in an airport restroom?

August 29, 2007 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  13. skippy

Dennis is another one in the closet. he needs to open the door.......

August 29, 2007 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  14. Norm, Springfield IL

Um....Mr Kucinich. I don't think it is diet why she married you. It's probably the money, dude. Sorry for "playa hating"

August 29, 2007 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  15. John N., Rochester, MN

29 years old, and a redhead to boot. It takes a real man to be able to handle that!
    Take note Bush, you pseudo-macho wimp.

August 29, 2007 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  16. Tim, NY

dirty old man ! that means when he was 30, his wife was not even born yet....

watch out white house interns.....

August 29, 2007 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  17. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

Put him in charge of Health Education and Welfare?

August 29, 2007 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  18. Hugh

I'm 80 and have 3 wifes. What do you read into that my dear boy Kucinich??

August 29, 2007 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  19. LoooseyGoosey

MONEY! It's no secret Kuci..

August 29, 2007 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  20. Amber

Good article. Kucinich is the only Democrat in my opinion who speaks with clarity and honesty, and isn't afraid to speak the truth.

Full marks to him for having a wonderful and supportive wife. It's a bonus that she's 29.. way a go Dennis!!

August 29, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  21. pat, huntington station, ny

this guy is right-on with all the issues. too bad he's not packaged in presidential material like the photo op candidates.

August 29, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  22. schneemann

Regarding having a wife half his age: "...Diet helps..." So does being a rich politician.

August 29, 2007 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  23. JL Fleck, Upstate NY

He makes a good point about the importance of the link between good health and a healthy, active mind. Difficult to have one without the other.

August 29, 2007 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  24. Matthew W. Combest

Go Dennis – no one can knock him for that!

August 29, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  25. Brian

I don't think "Clarity" is the correct term to describe Kucinich's mind. Maybe "a more pleasant form of muddled" would suffice?

August 29, 2007 10:41 am at 10:41 am |