Edwards said Wednesday Congress must deny the president any more funding for the Iraq war.
WASHINGTON (CNN) - White House hopeful John Edwards made clear Wednesday that he thinks Congress should deny President Bush's reported upcoming request for an additional $50 billion to fight the war in Iraq.
"The Congress will be coming back next week and I think the American people have had enough excuses," Edwards said in a speech at Georgia Southwestern State University.
"And what the Congress should do when they come back next week is make it absolutely clear: no timetable, no funding," added the former North Carolina senator. "And there should be no further excuses. Congress needs to stand their ground."
Five of Edwards' Democratic rivals are members of Congress: Sens. Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Chris Dodd, Barack Obama, and Rep. Dennis Kucinich.
Dodd, a senator from Connecticut, also reacted to the reported request on Wednesday, telling CNN he would be "resistant" to additional funding.
"I'd do whatever I can to support whatever our troops need to have a safe and secure withdrawal from Iraq," said Dodd. "But I don't intend to continue to fund a war over there that I think has no end."
The Washington Post reported Wednesday that President Bush will seek an addition $50 billion for the Iraq war after Gen. David Petraeus gives a progress report to Congress.
The White House would not confirm the report to CNN, but National Security Council spokesman Gordon Jondroe said, "We have said previously that after General Petraeus reports we will be evaluating what adjustments may need to be made to our pending FY08 supplemental request."
A White House official also told CNN's Elaine Quijano it was "unlikely" the request would be as high as $50 billion.
– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney