August 30th, 2007

An accounting of the McCain campaign

Watch CNN's John King interview McCain Wednesday.

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) – Money matters in politics, and Sen. John McCain insists his campaign is refilling its coffers after spending itself almost broke in the first half of this year.

“The money is coming in fine,” the Arizona senator told CNN in an interview Wednesday.

Insiders, however, say September is a key month after modest progress in July and August.

The McCain campaign raised about $2 million in July and spent about $1.4 million, according to sources familiar with the fund-raising operation who spoke to CNN on the condition of anonymity. In August, the campaign raised about $1.1 million and spent about $1.4 million, these sources said, leaving a little wiggle room for the final few days of the month.

Bottom line: raising about $3.1 million and spending $2.8 million in the two months since a major campaign re-organization. McCain’s September is packed with fund-raising events. The campaign also recently brought on former Commerce Secretary Robert Mosbacher, a prodigious fund-raiser, years ago, for George H. W. Bush, and hopes his Rolodex provides some new prospects for the McCain fund-raising machine.

McCain could get a much-needed cash infusion if he decides to accept federal matching funds. But opting into that system – and its spending limits – could hurt big-time in the long term because his major rivals are not accepting the federal funds and therefore not subject to spending restrictions.

“If we make that decision, and I guess we’ll have to fairly soon,” McCain told CNN.

“I’ve never won a campaign on the basis of money,” he said. “I won campaigns because I can out-campaign everyone else, and I can do that in the nomination [contest]…. So it’s not going to be money that wins or loses any campaign of mine.”

Related: McCain says his White House campaign 'going to be just fine'

– CNN Chief National Correspondent John King

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Pat, Huntington, NY

McCain is nothing but a typical corrupt hypocritical criminal rethuglican. Go back to AZ and retire.

August 30, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  2. Patrick, Denver Colorado

I hope McCain gets the Republican nomination. He is one of the only politicians in Washington who will tell the truth and stand up for an issue if he believes its right, no matter how much damage it does to him personally. He fought for immigration reform which hurt him wtih repbulicans, he supports the war which hurts him with independents and democrats, but he stands up for what he believes is right after looking at the facts. We need more people in Washington like him. He's about the only Republican that I can see getting the nominatin that would get a lot of support from independents and some democrats.

August 30, 2007 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  3. ReadBtwthlins

John McCain is the best qualificated presidential candidate. Too bad that's not what counts in politics..

August 30, 2007 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  4. fedupwithourgov't

How can you manage a country when your campagin is in such shambles?????

YOU CAN'T!!

August 30, 2007 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  5. Raymond, El Paso TX

Although I am a Democrat, for the most part, I think McCain is the most rational of all the Republicans that are currently campaigning. Although I don't agree with his stance on amnesty for illegal immigrants or prolonging the war in Iraq, which I believe he did because of his sense of responsibility after Bush had already screwed it up, I think he was the true "uniter" the last time around. I think Democrats will add more seats in the Senate and House but not enough to override a presidential veto. I wish McCain the best because it now scares me to death to give any one party as much power as the Republicans had ...the world can see where that got us. At this point in history, America NEEDS checks and balances, McCain just might be the one to get us out of this mess.

August 30, 2007 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. Providence, RI

He needs to withdraw from the race. He is a war and fear monger, and his messages are not sold.

August 30, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  7. Cable King Pittsburgh Pa

McCain has taken the high road by not manipulating his sons in a pandering effort directed at voters. His wife should put a "sock in it"!

August 30, 2007 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |