August 30th, 2007

Warner to announce re-election plans

Sen. Warner will announce if he's running for a sixth term on Friday

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Virginia Sen. John Warner, the influential former chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, will announce his decision on whether or not he will seek re-election at the University of Virginia on Friday.

The five-term senator, considered an authority in the Senate on military and national security issues, broke away last week from President Bush's Iraq war policy and started to demand that troops start to come home by September.

Warner, 80, has been mulling retirement for some time. He talked about his decision-making on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday.

"I'm confident that I can run a good, strong campaign," Warner said. "But then I've got to also say to Virginia, ‘On the eve of my 88th birthday, I'm still going seven days, seven nights with full steam.’ I might be able to do it."

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

If Senator Warner breaks with his GOP warrior colleagues and stands up to Bush for more than just a symbolic Iraq drawdown by Christmas, I may just vote for him. He recognizes the new Virginia is in the North, not the "Macaca" Allen South.

August 30, 2007 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  2. RA LasVegas, NV

He dose not look to be in the greatest heath. But I am no expert. Maybe he should he finished his 5th too last term and then decide to retire. He seems to be a very nice person, he should enjoy his remaining time on earth.

August 30, 2007 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  3. Kendra, Seattle WA

Warner is a throw-back to the classic days of elderly white statesman politician: thoughtful, energetic, passionate, resilient.

August 30, 2007 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  4. Tracy, Chicago, IL

Why are all these geezers running for president, haven't they messed the country up enough for us and future generations. When it's time for me to retire, I'll be dead before I can claim any of my social security benefits(that I'm forced to pay into.) All he needs is a young wife and usually suspects will get excited

August 31, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  5. Tracy, Chicago, IL

Sorry, I posted my rant in the wrong blog

August 31, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  6. James, NY, NY

If a doctor says he is mentally competent to continue to serve as a senator then I am all for it. We don't need any more people of questionable mental stability running around.

I want to know when the government will start addressing the issue of senior citizens driving around on our roads who don't have the mental competence to do so but were given a long term extension on their drivers license when they were still mentally competent.

August 31, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  7. joe,starkville, mississippi

Why are you using these stupid pictures on here. they are disturted.

September 2, 2007 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |